cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Rotation Not Needed?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Took my 2015 Silverado 2500 to the Chevy dealer for a regular oil and filter change, and tire rotation. The service writer told me the tires did not need to be rotated because the tires with the most tread were already on the rear. (I have 8/32's on the rear tires and 7/32's on the front tires.) I have never heard of such an idea. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
45 REPLIES 45

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
97chevor wrote:
And as a tire wears down the tread depth doesn't wear as fast.
:h
Not sure what you mean by this. Tread depth is how you measure tread wear, no?

As an aside, if you were buying only two tires, you'd always put them in the rear. However, at only a 1/32" difference, I'd insist on rotsting them.

I mean for tires to last longer. The intervals between rotations should become longer as the tire looses tread depth. Because the tire doesn't not loose depth as fast as it did when new.

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin video of where should the deepest depth tires go.

https://youtu.be/oa9hzcjdi5Q

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
97chevor wrote:
:h
Not sure what you mean by this. Tread depth is how you measure tread wear, no?

As an aside, if you were buying only two tires, you'd always put them in the rear. However, at only a 1/32" difference, I'd insist on rotsting them.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
97chevor wrote:

Are you saying that the first 1/32's wear down quicker than the last 1/32's?

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy bought tires from Walmart for his Dodge Nitro. He does not tow. He had free rotation but they refused to rotate because of the amount of tread left. ( or lack of tread ) He was pissed. I looked at tires and they looked good for another 10,000 miles to me. Never heard of a place refusing rotation like that before. Guess it is not so uncommon.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I think for traction/safety purposes the most tread on the front has always been the idea but for wear (on a RWD) the most tread should be on the rear to balance them out with the fronts. I tend to agree with the service writer. I love how everyone just skips right past that fact that the service writer might have a point and that he's just a lazy bum ๐Ÿ™‚

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
rightlaneonly wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I agree with the service writer.

I want the tires with the most tread on the back because they are the drive tires and wear the fastest. When towing the drive tires wear the fastest by a long shot.

Showing my age but back in the day, we were always told the best tires should be on on the front. Rear tires don't steer in wet weather and blow outs on the front are far more catastrophic. By rotating tires wear even.

This is a towing forum. Tires that have a lot of weight on them (from towing a TT or 5er or camper) wear the quickest. Trucks with a lot of torque (think of diesel trucks) really burn up the rear tires.

The whole idea of rotating tires is to have them all wear at the same rate. If the OP's tires with the most wear were already in the front there is no reason to put them on the rear for faster wear. That defeats the whole purpose of rotating them in the first place.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I get an e-mail from Discount tire ----Time to rotate and check air pressure

Service is FREE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I want the tires with the most tread on the back because they are the drive tires and wear the fastest. When towing the drive tires wear the fastest by a long shot.

Showing my age but back in the day, we were always told the best tires should be on on the front. Rear tires don't steer in wet weather and blow outs on the front are far more catastrophic. By rotating tires wear even.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the reason your front tires have less tread then the back is because unloaded you have more weight on the front axel than on the rear. This is even more so if you are running a diesel.

Also, you and I live in some country that can get wet. If I am plowing through some water on the road I want the front tires which do most of the braking and steering to shed water well.

So if you think these apply to you I would rotate.

Take it easy,
Stu
2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good idea to do it anyway so the wheels don't weld themselves to the brake disks and then you can't get them off when it comes time to change a flat. It also gives you a chance to inspect the bearings and calipers. You're greasing the caliper sliders and ball joints regularly, right? A'15 2500 has a bunch of grease zerks in the front end that require regular service.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to say that when I bought the truck, it came with 20 complimentary oil & filter changes and 20 complimentary tire rotations. I think I still have about 17 of each left, so that makes the situation even more galling!

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rightlaneonly
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a lazy service dept.
I get my vehicles serviced Every 6 months and may only have 2 or 3 thousand miles, they rotate tires every time. Rotating keeps wear even and tread edges from rounding off.
Lee & Jane
Ford died once to often.
Replaced with 2019 GMC Canyon
Aliner, soon to be gone.