cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Rotation Not Needed?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Took my 2015 Silverado 2500 to the Chevy dealer for a regular oil and filter change, and tire rotation. The service writer told me the tires did not need to be rotated because the tires with the most tread were already on the rear. (I have 8/32's on the rear tires and 7/32's on the front tires.) I have never heard of such an idea. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
45 REPLIES 45

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I disagree with the service writer and would insist or even do the job myself. It seems that a few years ago businesses started with this line that you always have to have the tires with the most tread on the rear. So now when you buy tires with free rotation you can't actually get a free rotation. A 32'nd of an inch difference front to rear is a ridiculously small amount to deny rotation.

But I also remember a service writer friend who calculated that paying an half labor (say $50) for a tire rotation every 5,000 miles would cost a set of new tires by 60,000 miles. $50 times 12 services = $600 So it's possibly cheaper to just never rotate the tires and save the money for the replacements.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup