Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires and Wheels

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

Upgraded to a 2020 F350 CC LWB 6.2 and am looking to upgrade my wheels and tires.

Thinking of going Rickson steel but I'm reading the backlog is months out. Any experiences out there to share with regard to working with the company delivery times etc?

If delivery proves to be long, I'm looking at the Vision 81a Heavy Haulers. 4500lbs works for me on those. A bit lower capacity than the Rickson steel but the price is a bit lower as well.

Could use some suggestions on tires in the G or H range, something above a 132 load index. Don't need anything aggressive for off road but do live in the northeast with snow. I realize the tires will be a bit tougher ride than the stock. Looking for experiences that have been good ride-wise.

Will be doing 19.5" rims with 265/70R tires.

Thanks in advance.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990
2017 Sailfish 290 w/Twin 300 Verados
42 REPLIES 42

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
cheftim wrote:
I've got the Toyo's and Methods on along with the TL lower wedges (comments below on that process) and uppers..

What Toyos did you go with? I’m glad it’s working for you!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
It's too late for this, but I want to say thanks to all of you for the help, comments, humor.

I've got the Toyo's and Methods on along with the TL lower wedges (comments below on that process) and uppers.

Truck rides great with this combo. Standard shocks and no sway bar changes, nothing but the tire/wheel upgrade and the TL lowers (stainless steel). True judge of the ride sits in the other side while I drive and not a peep. Lots of peeps with the previous setup. I actually find the ride more comfortable loaded.

With camper on, the uppers engage just barely.

Keep trying to convince myself that I should at least put some Ranchos on but I haven't won that argument yet.

I've got one wedge engaged and just leave it engaged full time as I can't really discern any difference.

If you're going to drill for the TL lowers yourself, here's what I found.

Any good cobalt bit works fine.
Slow and even slower.
Keep it oiled.
I could only get one through by manually pushing.
Next 3, I rigged up some screw clamps. Wasn't pretty or easy especially solo.

If I were to do it again, I'd either rent the rig from TL (if it worked with the truck) or I'd spend a bit more time strategizing how to clamp things more easily.

And you can't go slow enough nor put enough pressure on it.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP has not said where/if he will beach camp. Being near the Cape assume they will do some beach camping?

Nauset requires 4wd, 15 psi (when you leave the gate), and a matching spare and recovery gear etc.
(We run 18 psi, if you run 15 psi tire will heat up quick anyway)

Be safe and good luck with the new rig.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed with the 18" also, 295/70/18 Cooper AT3 XLT 4080 vs stock 265/70/18 @ 3525. I really like them very quiet on the road, (I don't run them in the winter) so so in mud as they load up.
I'm at the opposite end of the state.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Hey cheftim,

Just noticed you are right down the road from us.

Is that a SRW? No duallys allowed on the beach down the Cape.

And you def don’t want 19.5’ for running the beaches there. We air down to 18psi-20psi at Nauset.
Did you get a beach pass for this year?

Let me know if you need help setting up your rig we can meet up.

Good luck,

Bill

I thought they started allowing DRW a few years ago . Could be wrong
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:
cheftim wrote:
And finally for tires, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT295/70R18.

1" larger in diameter than the OEMs.

Any final things I should consider?

Buy 5.

Chieftim, that's about the ultimate tire/wheel setup, IMO. Good to go there.

But I absolutely wouldn't waste the money on a matching spare tire setup for a setup as close to OE in size and capacity as you are.
Your OEM wheels and tires already would haul the camper fine, and especially so in a pinch (flat tire).
Little difference in diameter won't hurt a thing, even on the rear wheel loaded.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheftim wrote:

Buy 5.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey cheftim,

Just noticed you are right down the road from us.

Is that a SRW? No duallys allowed on the beach down the Cape.

And you def don’t want 19.5’ for running the beaches there. We air down to 18psi-20psi at Nauset.
Did you get a beach pass for this year?

Let me know if you need help setting up your rig we can meet up.

Good luck,

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wouldn’t assume that OEM steel rims are higher rated. I think you are making the right call to go with 18s.

As far as offset goes, the 19.5 Visions I had were offset a bit compared to OEM. I didn’t find it to be an issue to have a slightly wider stance. Also, that would allow you to go wider/better for the beach without rubbing. I think that would be advantageous.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
billtex wrote:

OE steelies are a great choice too. Should be rated higher than OE aluminum wheels.

Agree, however I haven't seen a higher "rating" on them, but finding OE rim load ratings is a challenge at best most of the time.

OP, I didn't calc your numbers but the theory is right. 9" wide +18 offsets is a mild offset/width change and you shouldn't expect any issues.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
cheftim wrote:
Well,

Given that the 19.5's aren't going to work on the beach, I cancelled the order and I'm back to the drawing board.

I wanted to go that route for some extra safety but the #4080 option does still give me at least #500 headroom when fully loaded.

I definitely want to upgrade the wheels from the OEM. I've looked at the Methods and the American Force.

Near as I can tell the stock rims are 8"x18" with an offset of +40mm (taken from wheel-size.com) for my LT275/70R18 OEMs.

The Method MR305 NV HD are and 18"x9" with an +18mm offset with 5.7" spacing.

From what I've gathered in research:

An 9" rim with +18 offset means the mounting surface of the rim is about .7" into the front half of the wheel. That means back spacing would be 4.5 + .7 = 5.2". That's a .5" off from the spec.

Any flaws in my logic so far?

I can't find the spacing value for the current OEM rims so I don't know how to reason about the 5.75" spacing on the Methods but I'll try my math again.

I'm guessing at the OEM back spacing to be:

An 8" rim with +40 offset means the mounting surface of the rim is about 1.6" into the front half of the wheel. So the backspacing would be 4 + 1.6 = 5.6".

It seems like these rims would work and not cause an spacing issues in the wheel well.

Thanks again for all of the help.

OE steelies are a great choice too. Should be rated higher than OE aluminum wheels.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

cheftim
Explorer
Explorer
Well,

Given that the 19.5's aren't going to work on the beach, I cancelled the order and I'm back to the drawing board.

I wanted to go that route for some extra safety but the #4080 option does still give me at least #500 headroom when fully loaded.

I definitely want to upgrade the wheels from the OEM. I've looked at the Methods and the American Force.

Near as I can tell the stock rims are 8"x18" with an offset of +40mm (taken from wheel-size.com) for my LT275/70R18 OEMs.

The Method MR305 NV HD are and 18"x9" with an +18mm offset with 5.7" spacing.

From what I've gathered in research:

An 9" rim with +18 offset means the mounting surface of the rim is about .7" into the front half of the wheel. That means back spacing would be 4.5 + .7 = 5.2". That's a .5" off from the spec.

Any flaws in my logic so far?

I can't find the spacing value for the current OEM rims so I don't know how to reason about the 5.75" spacing on the Methods but I'll try my math again.

I'm guessing at the OEM back spacing to be:

An 8" rim with +40 offset means the mounting surface of the rim is about 1.6" into the front half of the wheel. So the backspacing would be 4 + 1.6 = 5.6".

It seems like these rims would work and not cause an spacing issues in the wheel well.

Thanks again for all of the help.
2017 F-350 LWB
2018 Arctic Fox 990

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
chieftim, I know you already ordered the wheels and they’re basically the ultimate setup for load capacity, however, everything is a compromise. They are not the best for winter traction and beach travel (aired down).

Snow will be “ok” as is. Siping will help if they’re not good enough.
Sand? If it’s hard pack beaches, fine. If not, those tires are hard and skinny and can’t be aired down a lot.
For all round use I’d keep the factory rims and some 295 wide heavy load range e tires.
Or if you’re uncomfortable with rim rating, Method NVHD rims.