Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires LT235/80R17

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi All,

I am looking for a new pair of shoes for my truck that hauls my truck camper 99% of the time.

I currently have on the Michelin LTX M/S2's that were terrific on the highway, smooth and quiet.

I am now looking to get a more aggressive tread pattern for the times that I do off road ( rocky forest service roads and sandy desert trails.

I am also interested in a tire with a firm sidewall as I tip the scales at 14,000 lbs. Load range E obviously.

Some of the contenders that I have listed so far in my research are:

Toyo M55
Toyo Open Country A/T II
Goodyear Duratrac
Cooper Discoverer A/T3
BF Goodrich T/A KO 2

Thanks!!
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
35 REPLIES 35

okan-star
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my 03 dually with a set of Goodyear silent armors on it , they seemed like good tires , but I had a set on my SRW Dodge and they where trouble, had to have 3 replaced because of bad casings, I guess that's why they discontinued them , only got about 35k on them too
I just bought a set of 7 Cooper AT3`s - 235/80/17 (dually + spare) from Discount tire for 1455.79 , have about 5k on them ,they are quiet and no sidewall flex .They have real good reviews , looking forward to 50k +

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
CAJW wrote:
egarant wrote:
Only put 50 miles on the Goodyear Kevelar's, wife noticed immediatly that the tires didn't seem as "squashed' as they looked with the Michelin LTX's on.

They are riding smooth as glass on the highway and no noise at all.

I can tell they might be riding a but stiffer, but that is a good thing in my book.

Report back in a bit.

Any update to this report? My "replace tire appointment" is fast approaching and am interested in what you and Reddog1 have to say about your Goodyear's.
So far, my experience is the same as egarant, and about the same number of miles.

I appreciate there are many differences to consider, but my 2004 4x4 DRW 3500 Quad cab with TC loaded rides like my previous Cadillac. This is with the OEM size Goodyear's. With the windows down absolutely no tire noise at any speed. I am very pleased so far, time and miles might change my experience. I expect to put another 100 miles on this week..

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
Only put 50 miles on the Goodyear Kevelar's, wife noticed immediatly that the tires didn't seem as "squashed' as they looked with the Michelin LTX's on.

I can tell they might be riding a but stiffer, but that is a good thing in my book.

Report back in a bit.

Any update to this report? My "replace tire appointment" is fast approaching and am interested in what you and Reddog1 have to say about your Goodyears.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Goodyear Silent Armor on my little truck. They didn't last long and they were replaced with a set of Michelin MS/2s.

My Dodge, which carries my camper, has the Nitto Terra Grapplers installed. The newer version of that tire looks even better. Sadly, it doesn't have a treadwear warranty.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
The DOT "birthdate" of my tires were 37/15....so sometime in September of 2015 they were manufactured and I installed them last day of February, so they were about 5-6 months old when installed.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Farmerjon
Explorer
Explorer
We have turned down tires that were almost a year old.
The dealer happily had the supplier send out another 6 tires that were much newer.
We use Cooper AT/3s and are very happy with them. They are a good compromise for highway and gravel and dirt roads. the noise level is less than our previous tires which were Cooper S/Ps.
2015 F350 Lariat CC LB 4x4 DRW 6.7, 6sp auto, 3.73
2000 F350 lariat SC LB 4x4 DRW 7.3, 6sp manual 3.73
1987 F250 Lariat SC/LB 4x4 SRW 460 4sp stick 4.10
1995 Jeep wrangler
99 Star Craft 953

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I am a bit uneasy. I called the store today, and ask what could I expect to be the oldest date of manufacture on new tires. They said three years. I ask what was the oldest tire they would mount on my trailer, and the answer was four years. I wonder if this typical of all Goodyear stores. I would/will not accept a tire more than six months old.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
jmckelvy wrote:
egarant wrote:

Report back in a bit.

Please continue to keep us updated as you get more miles. I considered these when I last purchased new tires but decided against them.

I have not had good luck with Goodyear tires since I had the original Wranglers on a 1979 F-150.

I boycotted Goodyear also for years, but I bought a set of Wrangler Duratracs and changed my tune. I also run Goodyears now on my car in the summer months, much better than in the past.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:

Report back in a bit.

Please continue to keep us updated as you get more miles. I considered these when I last purchased new tires but decided against them.

I have not had good luck with Goodyear tires since I had the original Wranglers on a 1979 F-150.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I am pleased that they are stiffer.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

Report back in a bit.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Interesting enough - I want to get a tire check because the truck was getting a bit of vibration. Asked the selling dealer where we bought it - he said, "Give it about 5000 miles to break in" ... WHAT?"

Anyway, took it to a different dealer for service - this one says, "Tires faulty" so, GM is allowing me half-off credit on a new set ... I decided on LT 285 70 17 E BFG A/T KO2 instead ... OTD for $1338 ... but I have a credit from GM, so it only nets me $756 cost ... So, I'm liking this dealer. I checked other tires places for quote OTD, and got the same price. So, he'll get my service work in the future for both my vehicles.

Been using BFG on all my trucks for years and years - only had one problem in all that time, and BFG gave a credit on that one. Several good brands out there, but I like the BFG's ... Always been good for us ...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
After way too much research I settled on the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar. ...
I too have spent way too much time doing research. I too have decided on the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.The best quote so far is $1590 out the door for six tires. This includes free replacement on road hazards. I expect to make my final decision next week.

I discovered it definitely pays to shop for pricing on tires. So far, I can get the Goodyear tires for a better price than much lower quality tire.

Wayne

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Motorhome tire applications are a whole different game. Tire pressures that get up to 125 lbs and can carry much more weight, I am sure you will find steel in those sidewalls.

In the LT 15/16/17 inch tires you will never find all steel sidewalls, just won't happen.

Folks have been running nylon or polyester sidewalls truck/TC's forever and their perfectly fine when inflated properly and not overloaded.