cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

¾ ton vs 1 ton SRW

JW2
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to purchase a new truck, probably later this year. In the Ford brochure under the heading of “Mechanical” it lists “Rear Suspension” and shows “Axle rating, 6,200 LBS (F-250); 7,280 LBS (F-350 SRW)”.

OK...I have seen many threads (example: (http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27030050.cfm) here where someone states something like “The only difference between a 3500 and 2500 is badges, a set of overload springs and a higher gvw sticker. Entire drive train and chassis is the same for srw trucks.”

Please help me understand here. Is the axle the same or not?
33 REPLIES 33

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Jacobs doesn't make a exhaust brake for the 6.7 Cummins. Exhaust braking as the Ford and Chevy is done through the turbo.

GM and Ford uses the VVT turbo (variable vane technology).

Cummins uses the VGT turbo (variable geometry tech) with a sliding nozzle.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:
You seem to be talking fords, but one major difference on the dodge is that the 3500 comes standard with a Jake brake. I have found this to work awsome when having the camper on, and pulling my boat. Between that and the tow/haul it really shuts her down w/o needing to get on the brakes.

All the 2500 & 3500 Dodge diesels have had an exhaust brake standard since 2007.5 when the new 6.7L Cummins diesels came out. Not sure if they are Jake brakes or variable vain turbo style exhaust brakes. Only the 2006 to 2007.5 5.9L Diesel Dodges had the factory optional Jake brake set-up. Either way the exhaust brake is an awesome tool to help you slow down your diesel truck.

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:
You seem to be talking fords, but one major difference on the dodge is that the 3500 comes standard with a Jake brake. I have found this to work awsome when having the camper on, and pulling my boat. Between that and the tow/haul it really shuts her down w/o needing to get on the brakes.

Ford and Chevy also come with an exhaust brake as standard equipment.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote to Buy the 1 ton. Owned them both and modified them both. I used to haul a 9 1/2 Kit camper with the 250 and also towed a light 18' jet boat. Now with the 350, I have a lighter 8 1/2 foot camper and a much heavier 24' Seaswirl striper. I wouldn't dream of asking the 3/4 ton to attempt that load. The 1 ton is very happy to commit to it.

For the dollar difference, you WILL regret the 3/4 ton

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
mick2268 wrote:

I totally agree. A exhaust brake is the cat's meow for descending hills and saving brakes. Just set the cruise control, enable the exhaust brake and enjoy the ride. My 2013 Chevy 3500HD has one and I wouldn't purchase another truck without it!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

mick2268
Explorer
Explorer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the can of worms.
Make sure you know what you're buying is my only suggestion.
Cal

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
~DJ~ wrote:
billtex wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:

A 1 ton is $700 more than a 3/4. Does anyone actually think they are getting bigger axles and brakes for $700?

You sure won't get 19.5 wheels and tires for $700.

Get the 1 ton....

You won't get 19.5 on an F350 either. You have to step up to an F450 and then it is slightly more than $700. :B

???
No...but he would have the additional payload of the 1 ton and would not need to purchase 19.5's

sugarhill wrote:
But I run a 3/4 ton SB with a heavy camper.

I am VERY comfortable with our truck/TC combo.

Yes...but you already owned the truck. OP is truck shopping.

We had the same situation; already owned a 3/4 ton for towing our AirStream and then bought a TC also.
When we buy a new truck...it will be a 1 ton.

The single most valuable advice promoted on this forum is "buy the 1 ton".
It is also likely the most ignored.

You can save yourself a lot of headaches, get a lot more flexibility, a greater margin of safety...if you just buy the 1 ton.
The is no good reason to buy a 3/4 ton over a 1 ton...especially when talking about carrying a TC.
It really is that simple.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
I'd pick the camper you want first. You didn't specifically mention that you were looking to carry a camper, but assuming since you posted this question in the Truck Camper forum, you're looking for opinions on that. All posts about a more heavy duty truck being better are spot on but, really take a look at what type/model of camper you want. My better half dictated that we ended up with a dual slide model (read HEAVY) which necessitated a DRW rig. We're very happy with the setup, but if you don't need/want that heavy of a camper, maybe a SRW unit will do the job. Keep in mind, upgrades all cost something and if you outgrow your lighter camper, your selection list will be shorter than if you went with a more heavy duty truck to begin with.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it's still the case but . . .
With GM, it used to be that if you got the 6.0 gas engine in a 2500 it had a 10.5" rear axle. If you got the diesel in a 2500 it had the 11.5" rear axle. If you bought a 3500 it had the 11.5" regardless of engine. So, the the case of a gas GM truck, yes, a 3500 does get you a stronger axle.

OP, get the 1 ton. Anyone considering a TC should regard a 1 ton SRW as MINIMUM. If you want a fancy hard side camper with slides I'd look hard at a dually. You'll probably be overweight no matter what you buy so try to minimize the problem. I'm 2,000 pounds over weight on my dually and my camper doesn't even have slides.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
Be a little cautious with the extra 1100# . Your tires might be rated at 3750# but the original wheels may not be . GM is very secretive with their wheel specs . All they seem to be willing to commit to is that they are rated for the OEM tires that came with the vehicle .

Exactly. I emailed GM regarding their steel wheel max weight rating.

It took several days for a response but what a surprise..... they responded that each of my wheels has a weight rating that is exactly the same as the OEM tires. wow (lower case as emphasis.)

In the interim I bought and had mounted Nitto DuraGapplers which have 3970# rating EACH.

Thanks GM...:R
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Freedom_49
Explorer
Explorer
In retrospect, buying a one ton over a 3/4 ton was the best advice I ever got. I sure wish I had taken it.

Judithgap
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 2013 F350 4x4 with the 4.30 rear end and the camper package which gives you an upgraded front coil spring.
The guys on this forum can tell you just about everything regarding Ford trucks and trucks in general.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
get the 350/3500 and the weight police will back off for a few minutes :S
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags