cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Too many Batteries

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, Have a question on Batteries. I have a 1997 25ft KZ trailer.
Have done so many mods it doesn't look the same. 4 100watt solar panels on the roof, just so I can boondock some. OK question: have you heard of the battery box Torklift? They(ABCS of RV) did a install on dvd.
well I have 2 6volt battery and found torklift has a bigger on for 6 volts (4-5)(#A7709) it measures 59" length 8" W and 13" Tall. It fits across the frame like the other boxes but will overlap 9" on each side. the 4 6 volt battery 61 lbs x 4=244lbs. can this be done on the front of the trailer? With 4 6volt batterys and solar, I could stay out for ever.LOL. well thanks for listening or reading anyway. Stay warm and save trips.
12 REPLIES 12

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Very good job didn't think to go that way, but looks great
Robert

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice job!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

BassinDmax
Explorer
Explorer
Robert812 wrote:
Hi all, Have a question on Batteries. I have a 1997 25ft KZ trailer.
Have done so many mods it doesn't look the same. 4 100watt solar panels on the roof, just so I can boondock some. OK question: have you heard of the battery box Torklift? They(ABCS of RV) did a install on dvd.
well I have 2 6volt battery and found torklift has a bigger on for 6 volts (4-5)(#A7709) it measures 59" length 8" W and 13" Tall. It fits across the frame like the other boxes but will overlap 9" on each side. the 4 6 volt battery 61 lbs x 4=244lbs. can this be done on the front of the trailer? With 4 6volt batterys and solar, I could stay out for ever.LOL. well thanks for listening or reading anyway. Stay warm and save trips.

I didn't use the Torklift box, but did this exact mod with a truck bed side rail box. The cost for the box was quite a bit less and the 4 trojans fit nice and snug. I drilled a couple 2" vent holes and inserted louvered vent covers into them. Also drilled a few small drain holes in the bottom in case water got into the box.

Tim & Mary

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Barney anything to keep cost down. you know we rver's are made of moneyLOL As soon as I get this put together I will try putting a pic up.
Oh the box I measured is only 9" on each side. so don't think they need the iron on them. Thanks for all your help.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Robert812 wrote:
Barney did your son use 1"x1" angle iron on the front and back of the box? only asking cus(?) in the video from (ABCs of RVs) they used them.
Snip...

No. He just drilled through the bottom of the box and A frame and used the supplied SS self tapping screws. It didn't stick out far enough on his A frame to need the supports. I suppose if he were to mount the box farther forward or in front of his propane bottles then the supports would be needed.

As it turned out he had just about exactly the amount of room he needed between the hose holder I made for him and the mounts for his Hensley hitch jacks. ๐Ÿ™‚ That old block of 2x4 you see in the picture was just sitting there because we forgot to remove it before the picture was taken.
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Barney did your son use 1"x1" angle iron on the front and back of the box? only asking cus(?) in the video from (ABCs of RVs) they used them.
RoyB great idea! can't do that with mind the Navigator is not open in the back.
but it looks great. good luck.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been complicating the same thing here on my OFF-ROAD POPUP of changing out my three 85AH GP24 Interstate Batteries on my trailer tongue area which weigh is around 50LBS each with four each 150AH Trojan T1275 Batteries which weigh around 82LBS each.

I carried four of the 85AH GP24 batteries on the trailer tongue at one time and didn't have any problems using my F150 hitch so I know adding the 200LBS of batteries weight is not an issue for me.

My front 5X8 Deck on my OFF-ROAD POPUP is rated at 800LBS capacity for hauling a ATV unit which I don't do but usually am loaded down with lots of SUPPLIES and camping support items.

I am thinking however it may be a good idea to only install two each of the 82LB Trojan T1275 batteries on the trailer tongue and have the other two each Trojan batteries mounted in the bed of my F150 truck in front of the rear axle just in the front area of the truck bed. I do have two requirements for BATTERY SUPPORT for my Emergency radio Operations for RACES-SKYWARN-NAVY MARS radio setups with just using the truck and for camping off the power grid using the truck and the POPUP trailer. Tieing the two battery banks together when camping will give a good 600AH of capacity. With both units separated I will have 300AHs battery capacity. Today I am doing pretty good with my 255AH Battery capacity but having the extra AHs capacity will be a really good addition for me.

Only using 1/2 of the 48-inch metal tool box on the trailer will allow me to use the remaining room for trailer setup support tools etc...

My OFF-ROAD POPUP layout would look something like this. My drawing only shows 110AH batteries which will be replaced with the 150AH batteries.

Wiring for the truck bed layout would look something like this...

I will be using a 4AWG 2-pin connector/plug arrangement from ETRAILER like this to connect the truck mounted battery bank in parallel with the trailer battery bank...

After I get all of this up and working successfully for me then I want to add at least 360 WATTS of solar panels to the roof of my OFF-ROAD POPUP trail with two that can be relocated to a portable setup POD if needed to assist in re-charging my battery banks during the high SUN daytime charge periods. With my current setup I have to use my 2KW Generator to recharge my batteries each morning when allowed to run my generator which at times has to be split in two different daytime generator run time periods depending on where I am located at the time. It appears I will still have to run my generator each day to do the initial 14.4VDC high current charge and then can switch to the solar panels to attain the 90% or more charge state over the longer period of high sun during each day. My goal of course is always have my batteries at the 90% charge state before I start using them again for the full night run off the batteries until I can charge again the next morning. Otherwise it gets dark on me around 10PM each night hehe... This is all based on to recharge my batteries in a short three period requires at good 15-20AMPS of current per battery or 60AMPS which is not going to be available from my three 120WATT solar panels. The solar panel generally only produce 5-6AMPS DC Current per panel which will work just fine for my setup after I get past the 14.4VDC high current charge period. I should be able to get past the high charge current time with just two hours of running my generator each morning using my on-board PD9260C Converter /charger and allowing the rest of the day running at 13.6VDC charge state using the solar panels. The emphasis being I must be at 90% charge state by 4:30 each day so that if that did not occur I will still have enough time to run my generator for a couple more hours before 8PM at night when I am usually allowed to run my generator.

Just some of my planning here adding more battery capacity taking the added battery weight and other circumstances into consideration...

It does take good planning to be successful each day camping off the power grid.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking switch mods Barney! Looks professional!

Yes, Torklift makes a quality product OP!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Robert812
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. just so you know I got a genny 4000watt with a hitch welded to the frame. 2112 guy helped me with this one. Your son has the one(I think) I was looking at. didn't know if I could put this weight on the front. I do have weight shifting bars and a no-sway bar. thanks again.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is the wide one on my sons trailer. He only has one battery in it now but uses it for storage also. It comes with dividers that can be moved or removed as you wish.

Here is a picture of the one I use. Mine only holds two regular batteries but it can be purchased for the taller golf cart batteries. They are very high quality pieces and we are both very pleased with them.
By the way, the disconnect switches do not come with the boxes.
Barney

Not towing now.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
just an idea

with the extra 100 to 150 on the nose.. put (2) 5 gallon water jugs to the rear.
my trailer... the bathroom is in the rear.. soo

a 5 gallon jug of water is about 40 pounds.. balanced.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Robert812 wrote:
With 4 6volt batterys and solar, I could stay out for ever.LOL.
If every day is a cloudless day, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman