cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TorkLift Power Armor Max battery box

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying out TorkLift's Power Armor Max box on my Avion C-11 trailer. This large box will allow the addition of up to 5 more batteries. I doubt that I will use all of them because I would end up with a total of 7 batteries and I don't even use the full capacity of the two I currently have. This box is well built and I may put two batteries in it and then use the remaining space for storage. Exra storage is the one area that I am shy of.

Pictures of Power Armor max on front of trailer.

Inside of Power Armor Max box. As you can see, it is well built and has adjustable panels to seperate the batteries. So far I really like it. If I had one option that I would like to see, it would be a thin plastic container(type of plastic used in battery cases), maybe .065 thick with at least a .065 taper on all four sides to allow them to be stacked. These wouldn't support the batteries, but would keep them for leaking onto the aluminum. Battery acid and aluminum don't mix too well. These thin platic bins (containers) could also be used for storage and would keep things from rattling around. The Power Armor Max also comes with a lock and straps to secure the batteries. For those who like to use the Solar Panels on your RV, this box is a great option. For most trailers, the tongue is where the box should be mounted because it is usually one of the stronger parts of the trailer and it increases tongue weight which rarely will give you any issues. Too light of tongue weight can be deadly.

If I left the TorkLift Power Armor Max on the front rack of the trailer, then I couldn't put an extra quad up there. That really isn't an option, so I need to make a mount that goes above the LP tanks far enough that I can put aluminum 40# tanks on the trailer and still have room for the battery/storage box.

Pictures of mount for Power Armor Max box.

As you can see, the mount uses seamless receiver tubing so that the entire mount is easily removable with a couple of pins or just the top section with one pin. I weld a nut onto the receiver tubes so that a bolt can be tightened and eliminated any "wiggle" in the receiver tubes.
I plan on mounting a solar panel above the battery box so I can also use the battery box mount as the solar panel mount. More pictures to come as I finish the battery box mount.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper
12 REPLIES 12

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Found it on E-Trailer for $355. That site says the retail on the large PowerArmor Max box is $404.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer
Don.
The smaller boxes made for two 12v or 6v batteries retail for between $240-$280.
I don't know what this larger one costs. I suspect it is over $300.
Barney

Thanks:) Not a bad price for a good box that locks. I thought they would be more.
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
I LOVE my smaller Torklift battery box. It provides peace of mind and it looks dang snappy!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
The mount didn't turn out too bad. I wanted it solid, yet I wanted to be able to adjust the height with just one pin. I also wanted the mount built so I could add a solar panel above it and be able to adjust the angle of the solar panel, or tilt it out of the way. If I wanted to remove the extra batteries, I wanted to be able to use the mount for something else.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
canadiankid wrote:
Anyone want to share how much you got these boxes for? I looked at their webpage but couldn't find any prices.

Don.

May have been free like my Fortress Gas Lock. TorkLift sells quality stuff........
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
canadiankid wrote:
Anyone want to share how much you got these boxes for? I looked at their webpage but couldn't find any prices.

Don.

The smaller boxes made for two 12v or 6v batteries retail for between $240-$280.
I don't know what this larger one costs. I suspect it is over $300.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I'm still trying to finish my tongue mount. I'm making it adjustable up and down to clear the LP tanks from 20# steel tanks to 40# aluminum tanks. Currently I have 30# steel tanks, but I'm going to go to 40# aluminum tanks when I get the chance.

There are still a lot of holes to drill and some nuts to weld on to "lock" the tubes together. I will use 1/2" long hitch locks to lock everything down. I just need to find the Reese locks with the same keys. The last thing I need are more keys. LOL
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

canadiankid
Explorer
Explorer

Don.
2010 Tundra Crewmax 2WD 5.7
2009 Greywolf 22BH

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably send them a link to this thread. I think most folks would want to protect their nice battery box. There is no doubt that TorkLift builds quality products. I have their Glow Steps and I wish that I had them on the camper over 40 years ago, when I was a kid.

I'm also going to buy a set of their Basic Spring Load spring pack, but I don't need the trunbuckles. I just need two spring packs to put on the back of my camper. It's nice to have them spring loaded so you don't tear anything up. I'm still using the old factory tie downs that came on mid 1970 Chevy trucks with the "Camper Special" package. Two of the tie downs were spring loaded and the other two weren't. I want to make all four spring loaded.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

westend
Explorer
Explorer
69 Avion wrote:
westend wrote:
Pretty clever!
Yeah, the Torklift boxes are good quality and made for the purpose. I have a black one (yet to be mounted).
I'm wondering if a guy couldn't coat the bottom of the box with a plastic coating, ala' bedliner or similar. That might help with any corrosion. Trying to find plastic boxes or sleeves could be a time consuming process and may result in nothing available in those sizes.

I'm thinking of ordering some of these neutralizing mats for my box: Acid neutralizing mat

That mat is a great idea. The bedliner may work, but it could affect the ability to shift those removeable panels from one set of slots to others.
What I'm thinking of would have to be custom made by TorkLift, as an accessory to the box. They couldn't cost more than a couple of dollars each, to make, and they could easily get $5 each out of them. For shipping purposes, they should be tapered. I'm always running out of storage space for things like my US Jack 8 ton bottle jack, tools, etc. The extra space in this box is perfect, but I don't want things rattling around in the aluminum box.
Yeah, I gotcha'. FWIW, I looked high and low for a plastic insert for the battery box that I built. I couldn't find anything in the dimensions I needed. I ended up installing panels of FRP plastic on the bottom and sides of the box.
Yeah, maybe Torklift is monitoring this site and will run with your idea. You could always give them a shout and foist your idea. They are are really a consumer-friendly group of folks over there.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
Pretty clever!
Yeah, the Torklift boxes are good quality and made for the purpose. I have a black one (yet to be mounted).
I'm wondering if a guy couldn't coat the bottom of the box with a plastic coating, ala' bedliner or similar. That might help with any corrosion. Trying to find plastic boxes or sleeves could be a time consuming process and may result in nothing available in those sizes.

I'm thinking of ordering some of these neutralizing mats for my box: Acid neutralizing mat

That mat is a great idea. The bedliner may work, but it could affect the ability to shift those removeable panels from one set of slots to others.
What I'm thinking of would have to be custom made by TorkLift, as an accessory to the box. They couldn't cost more than a couple of dollars each, to make, and they could easily get $5 each out of them. For shipping purposes, they should be tapered. I'm always running out of storage space for things like my US Jack 8 ton bottle jack, tools, etc. The extra space in this box is perfect, but I don't want things rattling around in the aluminum box.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty clever!

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton