cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Service Recommendations

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our TT we got 12 months of towing assistance as part of the deal. It is now expiring. I was going to get the Good Sam towing service until I noticed that in the fine print I would be authorizing them to charge my credit card for any amount they deem appropriate to renew in subsequent years with no further notice or authorization from me.

I don't think I want to give Good Sam unfettered access to my credit limit. I've also looked at Coach-Net but their web site seems to be pretty vague and wants you to fill out a form and wait for a call back.

Anybody have any information about other services?
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
19 REPLIES 19

Community Alumni
Not applicable
BillB800si wrote:

==================
Friend had same AAA policy and 2 years ago his truck blew a fuel pump in Cincinnati. Had to have his trailer towed to the Michigan border where Michigan AAA took it. What a screw up that was. He had to meet them in Toledo. No apologies from AAA..

Coach Net will go the extra mile to get you back on the road again.

The only time I can think of you would have to do that is if there's absolutely no contractor in the area that's capable of towing the rig. In that case AAA will reimburse you for out of pocket tow expense up to your maximum benefit. If you've paid for the RV coverage, then you're entitled to it even if the local club doesn't offer the coverage it to its members. As long as there's a contractor in the area that's capable then they'll send them out.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. The deal with Good Sam is that if you renew or enroll on line or with a form you get in the mail it has auto renewal at whatever the rate is when it renews. You can't opt out of it.

However, if you call them at 800-842-5351 and renew/enroll by phone you can opt out of the auto-renew. I just renewed my Good Sam that I received when I purchased my present TT.

I just don't allow anyone to charge my card without my approval for that specific charge. I once had a cell plan that was on an auto billing plan for $54 per month. All of a sudden one month they charged $225 claiming their rates went up. Of course it was already on my credit card statement by the time I found out. Took me forever to get that reversed and cleared up. I did drop the cell plan but I also learned my lesson.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

BillB800si
Explorer
Explorer
Fireballsocal wrote:
Been a AAA Plus/RV/Motorcycle member for 22 years. I haven't had to use them in many years but I also used to drive a tow truck for a AAA contract station. That's why I still have them.

==================
Friend had same AAA policy and 2 years ago his truck blew a fuel pump in Cincinnati. Had to have his trailer towed to the Michigan border where Michigan AAA took it. What a screw up that was. He had to meet them in Toledo. No apologies from AAA..

Coach Net will go the extra mile to get you back on the road again.
Bill B. (S.E. Michigan)
2015 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
darsben1 wrote:

The problem is New York is covered by 2 different AAA clubs each with different coverage and rules.

This is the single biggest problem with AAA. There are state and regional clubs with their own rules. And there is the national club with it's own rules. When you call the 800# you are calling the national club. They may not know or understand your coverage when you call. I got burned on this and ended up paying a small fortune ($500) for a tow when the national club told me over the phone it was covered. It was not. I appealed and they did pay part of it, but they scolded me in a letter for not know what my coverage is. Aside from that fiasco, they always took care of us, and even in this instance, 170 miles from home, they got us back.

That said I tried GS for a year, then they raised the rate $60 for the renewal. I'm going back to AAA. 200 mile towing to any destination you chose for far less money than GS for 100 miles.

SEE MY PRIVATE MESSAGE
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

eluwak
Explorer
Explorer
WayneAt63044 wrote:
I've had State Farm on my vehicles and home for years but their roadside service let me down last fall when I had a broken trailer spring on the OK turnpike. After 2 hours on the phone with their call center in Florida, I made my own arrangements with local towing and repairs. They don't have a clue about how to handle trailer issues. I cannot speak about other insurance as that was my only need.

We had the same problem with Progressive. Twice in one day we had multiple flats on the interstate, and both times we called they couldn't find anyone to tow the TT, and couldn't find anyone that could come fix it on the roadside. And that's after they kept asking how many people were in the trailer while it was being towed :S
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 CC LB 6.0L
1998 Chevy C2500 Suburban 454 3.73 (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 EB CC 4x4 w/Max Tow (Sold) ๐Ÿ˜ž
2013 North Trail 28BRS

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:
Macrosill wrote:
It seems that AAA RV Plus is only available in specific parts of the country. When I enter my zip code there is not RV coverage available. Am i missing something?

The problem is New York is covered by 2 different AAA clubs each with different coverage and rules.

AAA Western And Central New York will let you add a RV to their 2 highest levels of service but not to basic. There is an added cost of $35.00 a year over the normal premium.
So for AAA PLUS it would be $90.00 for main member $62.00 for your Significant other and then $35.00 for the RV
https://westerncentralny.aaa.com/membership/compare
AAA for New York City, Long Island and parts of Upstate New York does not offer RV coverage BUT THEY WILL COVER YOUR BICYCLE
http://www.ny.aaa.com/Membership/JoinAAA/MembershipTypes.aspx

Being on LI I guess I am out of luck. Even if I use my upstate house address then it would cost very close to what GS or Coachnet would cost.
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
darsben1 wrote:

This is the single biggest problem with AAA. There are state and regional clubs with their own rules. And there is the national club with it's own rules. When you call the 800# you are calling the national club. They may not know or understand your coverage when you call. I got burned on this and ended up paying a small fortune ($500) for a tow when the national club told me over the phone it was covered. It was not. I appealed and they did pay part of it, but they scolded me in a letter for not know what my coverage is. Aside from that fiasco, they always took care of us, and even in this instance, 170 miles from home, they got us back.

That said I tried GS for a year, then they raised the rate $60 for the renewal. I'm going back to AAA. 200 mile towing to any destination you chose for far less money than GS for 100 miles.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Macrosill wrote:
It seems that AAA RV Plus is only available in specific parts of the country. When I enter my zip code there is not RV coverage available. Am i missing something?

AAA Western And Central New York will let you add a RV to their 2 highest levels of service but not to basic. There is an added cost of $35.00 a year over the normal premium.
So for AAA PLUS it would be $90.00 for main member $62.00 for your Significant other and then $35.00 for the RV
https://westerncentralny.aaa.com/membership/compare
AAA for New York City, Long Island and parts of Upstate New York does not offer RV coverage BUT THEY WILL COVER YOUR BICYCLE
http://www.ny.aaa.com/Membership/JoinAAA/MembershipTypes.aspx
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Macrosill wrote:

I would give them a call. Sometimes it's setup a little differently in certain areas of the country. In Texas the RV coverage is part of the Plus or Premier levels. In some areas you pay a little extra for the RV coverage. I'm not sure if this is exactly where you live but, this is from the Western & Central NY AAA website:

Will my RV or motorcycle be covered by AAA?

For vehicleโ€™s with more or fewer than four wheels (large motorhomes, campers, travel trailers and motorcycles), AAA offers an additional membership rider for Plus and Premier memberships to cover recreational vehicles and motorcycles.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fireballsocal wrote:
Been a AAA Plus/RV/Motorcycle member for 22 years. I haven't had to use them in many years but I also used to drive a tow truck for a AAA contract station. That's why I still have them.

I have the same policy for about 3 years. DW has used them once for a rental car in SoCal on a business trip to unlock car (locked keys in car). I have used them once for my TC, off loaded in the backyard, lost the key. they came and unlocked it so I could remove the lock and get a new key made. If I have a flat tire on my motorcycle they will haul it to the next shop for repair. And the best thing I like, over my auto insurance roadside assistance is it works for any car, not just the one insured.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Macrosill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,
Brian

TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TV = 2006 Ford F-350 CC DRW 6.0

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
AAA RV Plus is what I have. We have used it several times in the past 10 years, the only thing they could not do was "break in" to my locked TT. Of course, this is limited to the expertise of the station they dispatch.
$110 per year, and tow up to 200 miles no charge.
2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
coach net
bumpy