cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing questions

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to possibly buy a Side x side/UTV and would like to tow it behind my camper. I measured from the hitch face to the camper bumper and it is 40 inches. Do I need something like Torklifts Super Hitch or can I get away with just an extension utilizing the factory class V hitch? I'm guessing a UTV on a trailer cannot weigh more than 3000 pounds but that's just a guess. I have no idea what the tongue weight would be. The UTV I'm interested in weighs about 1500 lbs.
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2
19 REPLIES 19

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Reese 48" extension in my '07 Chevy's factory 2.5" receiver. I pulled a boat or a cargo trailer, both weighing about 4,500 pounds. I was well within the ratings of the hitch and extension. I had no problems in 3 years. You should be fine, you've got much less weight and tongue weight.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I did replace my factory OEM hitch with a Reese Titan and I use the Reese 41" extension. I had my trailer custom made in all aluminum with electric brakes. I haul a 1400 lb Yamaha Rhino. Just be careful about using the factory hitch. I replaced mine after one of the forum members warned me that the welds on his factory hitch started to fail while using a long extension. There was no comparison when I removed the OEM hitch and laid it beside the Titan.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

RZAR66
Explorer
Explorer
Nice looking rig Jumbojet. Looks almost as good as mine.:)

I know my hitch is rated for towing 15K but need to look up tongue specs. So i take it a Super Hitch would be overkill.

Would something like this work? http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Reese/RP45018.html

Please note, maximum photo Width=640

Wayne
2018 Ford F-350 DRW
2024 Northern Lite 10-2

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Something similar to this.

My extension is 36" and I have the SuperHitch with a SuperTruss - mainly because I also have a 5,200 lb. double axle smoker I also pull around.

The UTV and the single axle trailer are not even noticeable when traveling. UTV weighs 1,400 lbs.

Please note, maximum photo Width=640

Wayne

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
You should be fine. Look at your hitch to see what the tongue weight capacity is...usually 10% of the hitch capacity. Class V will be at least 10K or 1K tongue weight. Half that for the extension effect...so if your tongue weight is under 500, and yours sounds like 150 or so, you will be just fine. Add some weight distribution and you'll be even finer ๐Ÿ˜‰