cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing speed for small pop up ?

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone tow a small pop up trailer at 70 or 75 MPH ?

jack L
Jack & Nanci
12 REPLIES 12

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I've got 99 MPH speed rated trailer tires and close to 1000 lbs wiggle room in the weight rating, so I've got no problem going close to 70 ish on long flat stretches of road.

It basically boils down to how much extra fuel do I want to burn.
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Don't travel above your tires' safe speed rating.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

manualman
Explorer
Explorer
Put about 20,000 miles on the factory tires on my pup over 7 years. Probably better than half that at 70mph (but rarely with cruise on). In zero traffic I'll let the speed creep up to 75 by the bottom of a hill so that I moderate throttle on the uphill and minimize TC unlock time. I'll let the uphill slow to about 60 before I'll push hard enough on the go pedal to unlock the TC. Never had a flat with those tires (vanilla Loadstar ST bias tires).

I can get away with that because I'm well below max tire load and I'm meticulous about having perfect tire pressure (checked cold daily during trips). The rating is for 65mph at max load.

Those tires with 20k had pristine sidewalls when I discarded them (both interior and exterior). Only replaced them due to age. Tread was starting to be slightly cupped, but who cares at 7 years old?

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
When towing with our Pilot I kept it at 65 or less. The summer I had the truck and pop up I would go into the low 70s. Would have gone faster but the tires were only rated for 75. I also tow my fiver into the low 70s when conditions allow. No issues.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
I would not tow any trailer faster than 60 mph. Most RV tires are only to 65 mph. Why push them at their limit especially with age on them.

My cousin would tow their pop up about 70 - 75 mph and couldn't understand why he kept blowing tires. I knew of at least 3 tires he blew.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
We usually cruise along at 70 mph, but there are times I've had to go faster than I should for brief moments due to someone trying to drag race me as I try to pass, then slows back down when I pull back in behind them......I'll deal with this a couple of times before I just go for it and do what it takes to complete the pass.....I won't post the speeds, don't need to get beat up here, but do return to my cruise speed after the pass and watch the person fade back.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Biker1mike wrote:
My pop-up has 13 inch trailer tires rated at 65 mph. My cruise control is set at 70 on any highway with a 65 mph limit.
As an fyi, I am way below my tow weight limit.

tires have 65 mph rating
hwy has a 65 mph speed limit

cruise control set at 70 mph

That makes perfect sense---------:H

OP
I just don't get the 'need for speed when towing'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

manualman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm the same as bikermike.

I'd probably NOT do this with the old style dinky 8" wheels!

Biker1mike
Explorer
Explorer
My pop-up has 13 inch trailer tires rated at 65 mph. My cruise control is set at 70 on any highway with a 65 mph limit.
As an fyi, I am way below my tow weight limit.
Mike
'12 Honda Ridgeline pulling '07 Rockwood pop-up

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks,
We are used to pulling a 25 footer and are thinking of getting the smallest pop up available and were wondering if we could go the same high speeds.

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Nanci,
Check your tires, if your pop-up has small tires towing at 70 mph is too fast. Better to plan on staying in the 60 mph range.

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't tow anything much above 65 mph. Any trailer tires I've seen have 65 mph max stamped into the sidewalls. I have towed a small vintage tent trailer with 8" wheels at 65 mph with no problems. The tires are new and the bearings were serviced recently. I felt the hubs at every stop and they were only warm.
A big bump in the road, a pothole, or any kind of unanticipated reason to swerve or brake hard would be a lot easier to handle at lower speeds.