cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

toyata tundra

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
so we decided to downplay our vehicle replacement to used in order to replace our 2008 Dakota and not spend 50000 on new
our local toyota dealer has a 2011 tundra, awd, the big v8, all the usual bells and whistles except leather(don't want leather anyway), 4 door
towing capacity of 9400 lb(iirc), payload of 1300
has factory towing package with 7 pin and 4 pin connectors but no brake controller(should be an easy addition)
I figure our tongue wt to be around 500 lbs(including hitch etc etc), leaving 800 for passengers and cargo
so 400 lbs of driver and passenger, add a topper, other misc camping stuff in the bed, should be great
truck is immaculate, well cared for, sold new by the local dealer

thoughts?
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
24 REPLIES 24

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
I think the Tundra is a great truck if you keep it within its low payload rating.
Notice how many just in this thread used to own a Tundra but have move up to a larger truck. Avoid the upgrade game by your 2nd truck first!
The Tundra's payload is a serious weak spot to consider if you are purchasing the truck to tow a RV trailer.
Keep in mind it is not about money, it about buying a truck that will meet your towing needs not just today but into the future as well.

I did the exact opposite. I went from a ford f250 into a Tundra. Towed the same trailer for awhile until we upgraded. Definitely get the larger engine. If buying a 14 or newer, the tow package comes with the 38 gallon fuel tank. With the size of the trailer you are towing, it will be a walk in the park. I tow a 36' about 9k loaded with mine and cruise down the road. I've got my WDH dialed in and feel very stable going down the road.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Vinman02
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Steve, don't go with the small V8 if you can help it. The mpg is about the same on the two in real life and the 5.7 will give you more options down the road

I believe the smaller engine also gets you a smaller rear axle size, 9.5" ring gear vs 10.5" with the bigger engine.

FWIW, I also had 2 Tundra Crewmax's with the 5.7 and I agree with everybody else, very good trucks but a little light on payload. I used to tow our TT, ~8,500lbs loaded without issue except being over the GVW of the truck. Tons of power for a gasser and a very nice daily driver when not towing.
2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO Cummins
2016 Arctic Fox 25Y
Honda EU3000i

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
X3! Get the bigger 5.7l, you won't be disappointed.

Don't put too much concern into the low payloads. You sound like you'll be within it anyways but you won't hurt anything being a little over. Stay within the axle and tire ratings and you'll be fine. It's no different than what everyone says about going over a 3/4 tons payload. No problem, just stay under axle and tire ratings. Don't know why people say or think it would be any different just because it's a 1/2 ton.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
I wish that Toyota would make a 3/4 ton version of the tundra. I would for sure own one. I have always had good service from my toyotas. My buddy has a 08 or 09 tundra with over 300k hard farm miles. It runs like new.... His only issue was a new transmission when he got close to the 300k mark. But hey that's really minor considering that truck gets worked everyday.....yes he still drives it, has no plans ever getting rid of it. Get the 5.7 it's an incredible engine.

Toyota will never make a 3/4 ton for the simple reason that the investment would never justify the return on sales.

The big sales numbers are in the 1/2 ton market, not the 3/4 ton market, a market which has a very loyal following among the big 3. So if Toyota jumped in, how much market share could they capture? 2%? 5%? The numbers are too small to make it worth the effort. There's just not room for a 4th player in the relatively small 3/4 ton market.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Steve, don't go with the small V8 if you can help it. The mpg is about the same on the two in real life and the 5.7 will give you more options down the road

X2

It seldom makes sense to go with the smaller V8. With very few exceptions, MPG is the same with the bigger engine, yet power is significantly better with the larger engine.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I wish that Toyota would make a 3/4 ton version of the tundra. I would for sure own one. I have always had good service from my toyotas. My buddy has a 08 or 09 tundra with over 300k hard farm miles. It runs like new.... His only issue was a new transmission when he got close to the 300k mark. But hey that's really minor considering that truck gets worked everyday.....yes he still drives it, has no plans ever getting rid of it. Get the 5.7 it's an incredible engine.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
good point on the payload, but as I said earlier, we do travel light. I doubt that we will go bigger with the trailer during the Toyotas' life expectancy

our only trailer upgrade would be to a better built of the same size.

I will be weighing our tt accurately including tongue weight before making a decision
2008 KZ Spree 260

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I think the Tundra is a great truck if you keep it within its low payload rating.
Notice how many just in this thread used to own a Tundra but have move up to a larger truck. Avoid the upgrade game by your 2nd truck first!
The Tundra's payload is a serious weak spot to consider if you are purchasing the truck to tow a RV trailer.
Keep in mind it is not about money, it about buying a truck that will meet your towing needs not just today but into the future as well.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
i tracked down another tundra, same truck except two years newer and has the smaller v8
other wise virtually identical

2011 tundra 381 hp @ 5600, payload 1378 lbs, big v8, tow cap 9700

2013 tundra 310 hp @ 5600, payload 1246 lbs, small v8, tow cap 7900

2008 Dakota 210 hp @ 5200, payload 1700 lbs, v6 tow cap 7100

interesting numbers, low payload for the tundras compared to the Dakota
our only real issue with the Dakota is engine power(and age). the extra 100 hp of the small v8 tundra is very attractive
2008 KZ Spree 260

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
camp-n-family wrote:
Agree with all of the above. Our Tundra was a great truck and hauled our tt with ease. We were over he low payload but more importantly well under the axle ratings which combined are well above the gvwr limit. It is an overbuilt but underrated truck.

Only issue we had was the common AIP failure but it's covered under an extended 10yr/160k warranty. If it hasn't failed by then, it won't. We had it for 4 years and traded it with 175k on it for close to what we paid for it. You can't go wrong.

Did you live in an area where the AIP could suck up water, meaning a lot of rain and water on the road? That's where I heard the AIP failures where the most common.

Yes, I got caught in a torrential downpour when mine failed.
Hitched by Hensley

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sure will be a significant upgrade over your old rig.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
camp-n-family wrote:
Agree with all of the above. Our Tundra was a great truck and hauled our tt with ease. We were over he low payload but more importantly well under the axle ratings which combined are well above the gvwr limit. It is an overbuilt but underrated truck.

Only issue we had was the common AIP failure but it's covered under an extended 10yr/160k warranty. If it hasn't failed by then, it won't. We had it for 4 years and traded it with 175k on it for close to what we paid for it. You can't go wrong.

Did you live in an area where the AIP could suck up water, meaning a lot of rain and water on the road? That's where I heard the AIP failures where the most common.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer

Hitched by Hensley