cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPO Roof Maintenance

KenNTennessee
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new TT which has a TPO roof. Our previous RV's have all had EDPM rubber roofs. I have read the owner's manual and it says almost nothing about the roof. The dealer said it's pretty much maintenance free, just wash it periodically. I'd like to hear from some fellow RVer's who have experience with TPO roofs. I saw on the tube of DICOR that I have left from our previous TT that it specifically says "Do NOT use on TPO" so what do you use?

I understand that TPO does not mold or mildew and does not create black streaks, so that all sounds good. Are there any downsides? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9

KenNTennessee
Explorer
Explorer
I have inquired to Evergreen as to what manufacturer's TPO they are using, but haven't heard back yet. I do like your idea of using the materials from the same manufacturer. As for the thickness, yes the sample was about 3/16" thick. It was thicker than the fiberglass sheeting on the walls. Have no experience with it, so I'll have to take your word for it that that is unusual.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Buy your caulk from the dealer. My TPO was manufactured by Alpha and I always use the Alpha caulk then no issues with the factory or roofing warranty. IMHO I like TPO a lot more than EPDM ( having had both). It is stronger, does not "sluff off" causing black streaks as bad...and can be patched better. Neither roofing materials should be treated with anything....neither material is designed with a need to be washed or treated. In the case of EPDM its life can be shortened by constant cleaning and treating. TPO is slippery when wet. If you do want to wash it use greased lightning a soft brush and water to rinse. DO NOT use any treatment as it will be like using grease on it. I have seen a lot of TPO on commercial buildings and never saw anything close to 5mm...sure it wasn't .5 mm??? Even the siding is not 5mm thick.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
Buy your caulk from the dealer. Mt TPO was manufactured by Alpha and I always use the Alpha caulk then no issues with the factory or roofing warranty. IMHO I like TPO a lot more than EPDM ( having had both). It is stronger, does not "sluff off" causing black streaks as bad...and can be patched better. Neither roofing materials should be treated with anything....neither material is designed with a need to be washed or treated. In the case of EPDM its life can be shortened by constant cleaning and treating. TPO is slippery when wet. If you do want to wash it use greased lightning a soft brush and water to rinse. DO NOT use any treatment as it will be like using grease on it.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Under the installation is says to use lap sealant #501-LS for Dicor's TPO(BriteTek).
BriteTek

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

KenNTennessee
Explorer
Explorer
The dealer has a sample piece of the TPO roof material, which they said was 5 MM thick, about 3/16". It is very smooth and shiny white on the top. I'll check with Evergreen to see whose TPO material they use.
I had a couple of tubes of DICOR self leveling lap sealant left over from our old trailer which has a EDPM rubber roof. The labeling on the DICOR self leveling lap sealant warns NOT to use it on TPO. Maybe they make a different product that can be used, but obviously I'm not going to use it in violation of the product label. It's a brand new unit, so I don't anticipate needing any sealant for a while, but just wondered what others had experienced with TPO roofs.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is different styles of "TPO" type roofing material.
Some have a backing while some are very thin.
Former son in law did commercial TPO which is very thick and heavy.
Dicor replacement BriteTek was installed on my rig to replace the EDPM that was damaged by tree. It has a fairly thick backing. It is slick, however with tennis type shoes it is manageable to clean roof with soap and water. It can be resealed with Dicor lap sealant.
I would suggest contacting Evergreen to see what your rig has on it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

KenNTennessee
Explorer
Explorer
I thought TPO was an abbreviation for thermoplastic olefin, a generic chemical compound name. I was not aware that there were different "brands". I have looked through all the manuals and paperwork from the manufacturer and there is nothing that identifies the brand of TPO. The trailer is a Sun Valley made by Evergreen.
The only thing it says about the roof is that it is TPO and that it is very slippery when wet. the owner responsibility is to wash it with a mild RV wash 4 times per year. The recommend washing from a step ladder using a long handled soft brush due to the slippery condition.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Here is link to Dicor BriteTek which is their version of TPO.
What brand of TPO do you have?
BriteTek

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
Very slippery when wet. Be carefull if you are washing it.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam