cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TR: Fall Colors Sequoia National Park

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mother Nature has a way of making you change plans on the fly and then rewards your decision in our case. Our original plan was for a meet up with Ski Pro 3 ,Big Foot Ford, Corey, Myself and Reddog up around Hope Valley off hwy 88 in the Sierras.
Reddog couldn't make it and then Mother Nature said none of you are coming with snow, heavy rain and winds of 50 with gusts of over 70mph . Ski Pro and Bigfoot hunkered down at their homes and Corey and me started looking at weather forecasts and locations that might be do able within a 4 hour drive. We decided to hit the south end of Sequoia at 3 Rivers. We already had packed for bad weather so both of us had to add some lighter clothes and we called it good. Corey headed out Friday morning in his rig and made a stop at Bass Pro on his way south. I had to work so I would be leaving town at 7pm with my dogs in my TC.

Yes I became a road Zombie

The last text message I got from Corey was that he was driving up into the hills near the park.
I hit the tail end of the usual I580 mess of a Friday commute on the Altamont and then took 205 over to 99 south where I ran into the storm front. It poured all the way south to Madera but 99 was in great shape due to new asphalt, I lost most of the view from my rear view camera during the rain. When I stopped for Diesel in Goshen just north of Visalia I found out why. That nice fresh asphalt had a high oil content, The back of my white TC was now coated in oily water.. Half a bottle of 409 and a roll of paper towels later it didn't look so much like a garbage scow and the camera view was restored after some Windex.

I rolled into the Potwisha Campground In Sequoia just before midnight. It was packed I drove a full loop before I found Corey. We had just enough room for both rigs and it took most of my leveling blocks to get about 3โ€ shy of level but nose high and an inch tilts to the side but I was beat after driving a 9 hour para-transit shift and a four hour drive to the park plus my work commute, nothing was going to keep me awake. Walked the dogs took a quick shower and slept in until 7 when they woke me to say hey we need to go for a walk or the camper is going to have a funny smell...nuff said

We had some coffee and broke camp to head on up and out of the lowland Chapparal and up to the Gian Sequoias. Signs said no vehicles over 22 feet...we are 23 so what they hey

We ended up at the Giant Forest Trail Head on 198 and set out to hike away from the other tourists. Generally that just means head uphill a ways and leave the non hardy hikers behind

but first it was walk the dogs time. I like having my pups along as it keeps folks out of my camper when I'm off doing something. Temps were in the low 60s

upwards we went

After many hours of hiking we came into a grove where the dogwood was in full fall colors. We were at about 7000 feet in altitude.

one of those unusual things you find. At first glance it looked like ash from some burned paper on the trail

but looking up it was part of a paper wasp nest that had been blown off by the wind the night before

It was a spectacular hike we stuck to the trails for about half of it and and bushwacked for the other half
all told we were out for about 5 hours and 13 miles

We piled back into our rigs at set off for our next destination. We would be camping at the Azalea Campground and hiking the area by the General Grant tree

The Forest Service was doing some controlled burns alongside the road as we drove

we got two nice sites in the Azalea Campground

First order of business at camp is to take care of my furballs

Cory and I retired to our respective campers for the night and in the Morning we headed over to the Grant Grove trail head. We ended up joining a Ranger led hike for a while then split off to do some exploring on our own.

in one of the recent burn zones from the big fires that hit the park in the past few years

so we split off from the Ranger group and went in search of Gulliver. We found him

The trail eventually took us up to an overlook where we could see Sequoia Lake and a storm front moving in

Cory and me were having a blast

We reached the Grant Grove from our side hike just as the storm moved in. The tops of the Giant Sequoias pierced the cloud bottoms as the rain began to fall

Raingear on time

as always a hike has to end sometime and we arrived back at the rigs

Two days, 24 miles of hiking on the trails what a blast. But it was time to head for home

Azalea Campground is at 6000 feet it is open all year for dry camping and there is XC skiing and snow shoeing trails leading out of camp. I need to go back this winter.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags
21 REPLIES 21

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another great TR -- well done!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report, we will be heading there this coming May/June.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Great trip Eric. Love your dogs. Great colors in Sequoia.

Cheers,

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have to add that coming home on 99 north before 156 we hit the worst weather. The Highway warning signs had a high wind warning up advising Trucks and Rvs to stay off 99. The Semis were pulling over and stopping. If I had been driving my old SRW I would have done the same. Corey and I with our Duallies and stableload setups reduced speed and went west on 156. The cross winds were insane well over 50mph with driving rain in places. It was a bit better on 5 north until we neared the 580 split. Those were the worst winds and they hit us broadside. I was dang glad after we crested the Altamont and dropped down into the Livermore valley and finally got out of the wind and rain
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice contrast to your last TR and great colors!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
SWEET!!!!!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for some good memories of the past for us... We did our part wandering around all the high place in the AZ areas back in the day. Our camping vehicles were a JEEP pulling a utility trailer back in the 60s...

Certainly don't get to see views like that here in Northern Neck Virginia and up and down the Blue Parkway...

Don't know if I will get to see those things again or not before I can't go anymore...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS