cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer Brake Issues

Kkrivo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 F150 & 2012 33 ft Forest River Patriot Edition. The trailer we purchased this year off of my brother in law after it sat outside at a storage facility without moving for 2 years. We took it on 2-3 short 30-45 minute drive trips without issue but on a 3 hour drive we started receiving a "Trailer Wiring Fault" error message on the truck and the brakes on the trailer go out completely, for a short while. We also have a 2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV that we have installed an aftermarket trailer break on and we were receiving error messages there as well, which lead us to believe the issue was with the trailer rather than the truck. We took the camper to a local camper dealership and they could not replicate the problem with their tow vehicle or our truck. However, on our 30 minute ride home we started receiving the messages again.

Is there a way we can identify the issue from home? Any suggestions on what it might be and how to fix it? We are brand new to RVing, love having the camper, but it's nerve wrecking to drive the trailer not knowing if the brakes are working or not!

Thanks in advance!
6 REPLIES 6

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
buzzard616 wrote:
First disassemble the plug to check all the connections inside.
If that all looks OK...

Then crawl around underneath and check the wiring connections to each wheel...

Next jack each wheel, one at a time.
Spin it and have someone stick a piece of wire into the #2 and #4 holes in the plug.

Brake plug

This should apply full brake power and the spinning wheel should stop abrubtly.
If this workes on all four the brakes are fine.
If all 4 wheels don't stop with same amount of 'force' then have the brakes checked.

Like others have said check the wiring under the trailer at each wheel. Instead of shorting the wire have someone pull the breakaway switch, it will check the wheels break operation/magnets & switch.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
jmaotto wrote:
You may have a short in the wire that goes through the axle. This is a common problem. This has happened on both of my axles. Simple fix is to run new wires on the outside of the axle.

This would be my guess as well.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The trailer sat for a few years and the plug probably was not protected from the weather. Clean or replace the plug. Likewise, clean and inspect the tow vehicle connectors.

jmaotto
Explorer
Explorer
You may have a short in the wire that goes through the axle. This is a common problem. This has happened on both of my axles. Simple fix is to run new wires on the outside of the axle.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It sound like something warms up while traveling and creates the
fault.

Since it happened with two different brake system controllers I would also suspect the TT brakes.

You will most likely have to open them up and take a look. Maybe something like a shorted magnet?

Good Luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
First disassemble the plug to check all the connections inside.
If that all looks OK...

Then crawl around underneath and check the wiring connections to each wheel...

Next jack each wheel, one at a time.
Spin it and have someone stick a piece of wire into the #2 and #4 holes in the plug.

Brake plug

This should apply full brake power and the spinning wheel should stop abrubtly.
If this workes on all four the brakes are fine.
If all 4 wheels don't stop with same amount of 'force' then have the brakes checked.
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser