cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Brakes or Controller

woodsmitch
Explorer
Explorer
My brakes got weak on my HH II and I adjusted them which didn't make much difference. I was thinking maybe I need a brake job but I now notice that when I apply the brakes the read-out only reads 3.0. I have it set on 9.0 and the setting on Heavy Electric Brakes. I can apply them by hand and it goes to 9 just like it should and almost locks the wheels at 20-25 mph, but I can stand on the pedal as hard as I can and it only reads 3. I am fairly certain in the past it would go to 9 with the pedal also. Am I correct in thinking it should go to the setting?
I appreciate your assistance!
6 REPLIES 6

woodsmitch
Explorer
Explorer
OK I checked the readout while moving and the numbers increase while moving. Tried at 20, 30 and it worked as it is supposed to. Learn something every day! So I guess I will do a brake job. I'm thinking complete with backing plates and all. And self adjusting! Thanks for everyone's help!

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
woodsmitch wrote:
My brakes got weak on my HH II and I adjusted them which didn't make much difference. I was thinking maybe I need a brake job but I now notice that when I apply the brakes the read-out only reads 3.0. I have it set on 9.0 and the setting on Heavy Electric Brakes. I can apply them by hand and it goes to 9 just like it should and almost locks the wheels at 20-25 mph,

Says it is in the TV side...since you can lock the trailer brakes
using the 'manual' mode

but I can stand on the pedal as hard as I can and it only reads 3. I am fairly certain in the past it would go to 9 with the pedal also.

This confirms that it is on the TV side

Am I correct in thinking it should go to the setting?
I appreciate your assistance!

There is a lot going on with any 'highly integrated' trailer brake
system

'Highly integrated' will/might have the traction control sending
some message to the brake controller to NOT go full on

Or...the ABS system doing a similar/same

Or...the ECU doing same/similar

Or...the tranny computer doing similar/same

Or...anyone of the above input sensors acting up

The inter-dependencies and prerequisites is unknown and guess even
to the dealer techs

Then the trailer wiring (routing, sizing, connectors, etc) and the
brake wiring/magnets might be affecting the TV brake controller

Since 'highly integrated' brake controllers use the MC PSI as its
sense input and the manual lever/button does NOT...maybe you might
have a problem with the TV's braking system...low fluid, MC PSI
sensor acting up or going bad...air in the brake fluid...etc
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

woodsmitch
Explorer
Explorer
The controller is the OEM IBC. Truck is a 2012 Ram. I am going to have to check about the speed that I was moving when we change parks this week.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If it took a lot of adjustment then it may take a couple hundred miles before the shoes wear in so that you have full shoe contact.

When you say you stand on the peddle. Is that when going 30 mph or more?

What brake controller do you have?

woodsmitch
Explorer
Explorer
I have just finished adjusting the brakes! When I started having problems.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
When is the last time you actually adjusted the trailer brakes?