cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trailer quality

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of changing from a high quality truck camper to bumper pull trailer...... can I ask advice of good quality trailers in the 22 foot class with walk around bed..... or maybe ask for those that should stay away from...... I'm assuming when they say ( micro weight, light weight & etc) that they are using less materials & other cutting of stuff to lower weight...... Have a ram dually now...... More interested in strong good quality over light weight...... Thank You
jimbow
23 REPLIES 23

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
As a very general statement from best on down
Airstream, fiberglass eggs, Oliver, Northwoods rv, outdoors rv, Lance, now you get into the true mass marketed units, others may (and no doubt will) differ, but here is my opinion based on what I've seen.
Grand Design, K-Z, Jayco, Winnebago, and then the thundering herd.

Generally agree, but would put Oliver at the top of the list, above Airstream.

Among the "fiberglass eggs", Scamp's build quality isn't quite in the same league as Escape, Casita or Bigfoot.

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Wage of the workers does not make one difference in "quality".

Of course it does! Someone making $18/hour has a lot more incentive to retain that job. Someone making $7.25 knows there is a fast food restaurant within walking distance that has a "Now Hiring" sign in the window.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jdc1 wrote:
If it's made in Indiana, you might not like it. $7.25/hour wages do not buy quality.

Wage of the workers does not make one difference in "quality".

Build quality and price are however directly related to what the cheapskate buyer is willing to pay.

Don't want to pay much for a RV? You get cheap materials, cheap construction for being a cheapskate.

Spent my last 22 yrs working in a high tech robotics manufacturing business and seen it all.. Typical starting wages at that place was right at $10 per hr..

Yeah, even at that wage had to deal with constant no shows, drunks and heavily laced drug addicts along with the constant slackers that couldn't care less about quality. Seen at least half of our production crew get fired over the years by constantly tripping the late or no show boundaries one too many times.

You could easily quadruple the $10 starting wage and still get the same crowd and it just costs the company more money and yet you get absolutely no better quality.

RV manufacturers build to the target price range that they know will sell, very few will build $100K 22ft travel trailers because that market simply is too small. The only exception I can think of to that may be the diehard AirStream buyers but those buyers will buy an AirStream at any price.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
While these are called "Mini Lite", they are not really all that "Lite"... I think the quality is very good on my rig.. No issues so far.

I tow a 2019 version of this. Floor plan is the same, but I have different features than this one has.

It's 26' in length, so a little more than your 22' goal, but I came from a 22' trailer to this one and it's no different where it can go or park compared to the old 22' one.. It's just heavier and a much better rig in general then the old one. (but even that old 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F was a great 'starter rv' for us.

It's a Youtube video and Josh is kinda a 'goof', but he's entertaining and shows the features of the rig in an informational way, but with some humor, so it's just not a boring 'commercial' as such..

2022 Rockwood 2511S

Good luck in your quest! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say light weight does not = low quality. Not saying there are not shoddy light weight trailers, there are. Just saying don't rule out light weight ones.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's made in Indiana, you might not like it. $7.25/hour wages do not buy quality.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
As a very general statement from best on down
Airstream, fiberglass eggs, Oliver, Northwoods rv, outdoors rv, Lance, now you get into the true mass marketed units, others may (and no doubt will) differ, but here is my opinion based on what I've seen.
Grand Design, K-Z, Jayco, Winnebago, and then the thundering herd.
Some upper end models from Keystone or Forest River may have more fans than others, but as a generalization, this will give you a start.
As a starting point consider warranties, their value is questionable because of dealer support, but some lines offer longer warranties which COULD be seen as a sign of manufacturer support.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I’m happy with my WInnebago and the whole towable Micro Minnie line is within your length limits.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Oliver and Lance come to mind.
You could also check out Airstream if you can live without a slide....we can't.