cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Tire Wear

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Heartland 26rlss 30 feet long. Dual axle.

On one side of the trailer (passenger side), both tires are wearing on the outside. Both tires are wearing the same.

Drivers side is fine. Both tires are wearing the same with no outside or inside wear.

All four tires have the same thread depth on the inside and middle.

I think I can rule out a bent axle since the tires are wearing the same on both axles.

Friend has a theory that since this tires run on the edge of the road, and if the road has a crown, it might be shifting the weight to the outside of the tire. (Not sure about that theory.)

I thought an alignment might be in order but the nearest place that has the equipment is about 90 miles away.

Dry weight of the trailer is about 5800 and loaded it is about 6300. That is a scale weight. GVWR is 8600. I do not believe that I am overloading the trailer.

Side that has the wear is where the fridge and sink are located. I believe I have the tt evenly loaded side to side.

I have always checked tire pressures and kept them at the correct psi, per the tire sidewall and sticker on the trailer.

The tires have not been balanced.

I plan on buying four new tires before heading north this summer. These tires have about 18,000 to 20,000 miles on them.

Any idea as to why I am getting the wear?

Should I just put the new tires on, have them balanced and watch for the wear?

Thanks for any replies.

I have searched the web but I cannot zone in on this particular problem.
GeneKiwi
2013 Heartland Caliber 26RLSS (Dislike the quality)
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 (Love the truck)
15 REPLIES 15

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Overloaded on that side or more than likely you curbed thst side and now have two bent axles/spindles. Get it to a set of scales you can weigh each corner. Then find a truck trailer alignment shop.