cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Weight vs Truck Capacity (I know, I know....)

unh044
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you will all feel that this topic is beaten to death, but in spite of a TON of reading, I'm still not sure I understand, so I figured I'd better ask.

I'm looking at a 37foot long trailer, a K-Z 329ik, which weighs 8100ish pounds empty. GVWR on it is 9500 pounds. Thus begins the issue...

My current truck is a 2016 Silverado 1500, 5.3, and 3.42 gear ratio. My read is that my truck isn't big enough for this camper. I can probably get it home empty, but once stuff starts getting added to it, I'll be over weight very quickly.

I've been looking at new rigs, and done the math, and on paper the new Ford F150s, outfitted properly, appear to be able to handle the weights. Again, this is on paper, according to the math. Everyone seems to say, though, that they wouldn't tow a camper this size with a 1/2 ton pickup, no matter what the math shows.

So... what is the 3/4 ton going to give me that the properly outfitted 1/2 ton won't?

I'd rather have a 1/2 ton, since this is my daily driver, and I think a 3/4 ton will get old quickly on the frost heaved roads of New England. Having said that though, I know that safety is more important than comfort, so if I have to put up with driving a tank, so be it. I just want to better understand the "why" of it.

Feel free to use small words, and pretend I'm an idiot.... thanks!
2016 K-Z Spree 329IK Bunkhouse
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
24 REPLIES 24

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
There are options available for the F-150 that put it right up there with the F-250 in rated payload and towing capacity. BUT likely by the time you add them all on, you might as well buy a F-250. In your shoes I would seek out a knowledgeable person at a dealership that sells a lot of both types of trucks, and get the details of what each option adds and what they cost.

You can option an F150 up close to a diesel F250 in terms of payload rating (not tow rating), but then you have to consider that the payload rating on diesel 3/4 tons is pretty meaningless. The 3/4 ton is way more truck irrespective of what the payload sticker says. Look no further than the axle and tire ratings.

There's no way I'd tow a 37' TT with a half ton, regardless of how it was optioned.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
The old adage applies... "How do you explain sex to a virgin"... :B

Most half ton's run out of RGAWR first and then GVWR next (most, not
ALL)

There are what I call 'fake half tons' out there and they have a
RGAWR of 6,000 lbs....vs....most half tons with their ~4K RGAWRs

Comments embedded below in red

unh044 wrote:
I'm sure you will all feel that this topic is beaten to death, but in spite of a TON of reading, I'm still not sure I understand, so I figured I'd better ask.

I'm looking at a 37foot long trailer, a K-Z 329ik, which weighs 8100ish pounds empty. GVWR on it is 9500 pounds. Thus begins the issue...

My current truck is a 2016 Silverado 1500, 5.3, and 3.42 gear ratio. My read is that my truck isn't big enough for this camper. I can probably get it home empty, but once stuff starts getting added to it, I'll be over weight very quickly.

I've been looking at new rigs, and done the math, and on paper the new Ford F150s, outfitted properly, appear to be able to handle the weights. Again, this is on paper, according to the math. Everyone seems to say, though, that they wouldn't tow a camper this size with a 1/2 ton pickup, no matter what the math shows.

All OEMs have SEVERAL half tons in variing GVWR's, so be careful
when talking to make sure you and the other are talking about the
same GVWR...not a water melon vs an apple

Gather your TV's specifications/ratings as a first thing in prep

• GVWR
  • FGAWR
  • RGAWR
  • GCWR
  • Payload

Forget about it's MTWR (Max Tow Weight RAting), unless you own the
'curb'...AKA stripper with no options other than the tow option

Then go out and actually weigh your TV fully loaded ready to go
camping...axle by axle

Simple math will provide you with what is left for each of the
above ratings

For the trailer, take the total ACTUAL weight of the TV and subtract it
from the GCWR and is the 'actual' weight of the trailer your TV
is rated for

First...decide if you believe in the OEM ratings system or not.

If not, then academic discussion...if yes, then gather the above
info and do the simple math

So... what is the 3/4 ton going to give me that the properly outfitted 1/2 ton won't?

I'd rather have a 1/2 ton, since this is my daily driver, and I think a 3/4 ton will get old quickly on the frost heaved roads of New England. Having said that though, I know that safety is more important than comfort, so if I have to put up with driving a tank, so be it. I just want to better understand the "why" of it.

It is the exact opposite...the higher class and its higher ratings
will last much longer than the lower class TV in this condition...and
all other things being equal

Feel free to use small words, and pretend I'm an idiot.... thanks!

{edit}...

Forgot to mention that all things designed/engineered are NOT for
the good days when just about anything 'can' tow it, but for the
bad day Mr Murphy crosses your path...

Either you have the proper sized components, systems and adjusted
correctly spot on...or not. No time to go back to the store for
bigger, better...nor time to readjust...

To manhandle the situation and my preference is to have more than
enough vs just enough or less...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are options available for the F-150 that put it right up there with the F-250 in rated payload and towing capacity. BUT likely by the time you add them all on, you might as well buy a F-250. In your shoes I would seek out a knowledgeable person at a dealership that sells a lot of both types of trucks, and get the details of what each option adds and what they cost.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
No less than a 350 dually preferably a 450 dually
Bill and Joey the dog

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a 2011 Sierra 1500 with 5.3L, tow package, and towed a 24 ft trailer in the mid 6000's and it towed decently. But, I would not have wanted to tow anything heavier.

I traded that trailer into the one in my sig, that is a 34' box, 37'(ish) total lenght. Mid 9000's GVWR. I would NEVER want to try to tow that with my Sierra 1500. I traded the Sierra in (before upgrading the trailer), to my Ram 2500 CTD, and never looked back.

With the trailer you're talking, I firmly believe you are in 3/4 ton territory. I feel very comfortable and safe with my truck/trailer combo. I used my truck as my daily driver as well, and have no issues with that.. I enjoy it every day I drive it or tow with it.

With a trailer that GVWR of 9500 lbs, you are looking at about 1300-1400 lbs of tongue weight. Add passengers and truck loaded to go camping, and you likely would be out of truck GVWR.

Donno0128 has some great points on the differences. Bottom line, the 3/4 ton is just a much more stable platform all around.

You don't have to go all the way to diesel, the gassers are also very capable. But, since you are looking at a new TV, I highly encourage/suggest you go 3/4 ton at a min.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Every so often you will come across a "testimonial" on this forum from someone who just upgraded from a 1/2 ton (i.e. F150) class truck to a 3/4 ton (i.e. F250) class truck, and almost universally, they describe the difference as "night and day." You might want to go look some of them up to get a more subjective feel for the difference, rather than people spouting numbers off to you.

In a word you don't know what you're missing until you've experienced it. You may feel that towing with the F150 is just fine, but that's because you don't have anything to compare it to. All the behaviors like the subtle jerking, mushy feel of the suspension, bracing every time a big truck comes along, the "will it or won't it" feel to the brakes, etc., all gone with the heavier truck. You may have never been in any physical danger, but it just FEELS like you've got so much more control over the situation.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Just look at the PAYLOAD capacities of each truck.... You will see that what you can carry in the 150 is much less than the 250.. That is what will limit your trailering capabilities . .
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
What the others said.

With the camper your looking at, your in 3/4 ton truck territory.

That 9000lb trailer at 37' in length is like a big sail. In windy conditions you may find the tail wagging the dog.

1/2 ton trucks don't have the curb weight to control a trailer that heavy.

I just traded out of a 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4, cc, 5.3/3.42 truck.

I had 1704 lbs of payload and a 9100 lb tow rating.

It towed my 6k lb Layton very well, but that rig is 23' overall, huge difference from what your looking at.

I always thought my silverado could handle another 1,000 of loaded trailer weight, but not much more. We are looking at the jayco 26bh, 7 or 7500 GVWR, over 29' long and i felt I'd be right up against my limits and i didn't like that.

With my family of 4, all gear in the cab, truck bed, hitch and tongue weights, i figured i had about 3- 400 lbs of payload left, maybe less.

You will likely be overweight with no gear in the trailer, or very close.

What is your payload limit from the yellow sticker on your drivers door jamb?

Your options are:

-to disregard the payload limit, which is unwise and could subject you to legal liability if you get into an accident. (Please don't do this)

- upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck that can safely handle that weight and length trailer

- buy a smaller/ lighter trailer better suited to your Chevy.

I'm very happy with my new 2500hd dodge and don't see myself buying another 1/2 ton truck again, so long as i can afford it.

Just my .02
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
GET THE PROPER TOOL FOR THE JOB!
Yes I was screaming it.
There is a huge difference between the two vehicles.
1500/150 you get likely P metric tires, lower rater frame,springs,tires,wheels.
250/2500 will get you full flotaing axle, bigger brakes, LT truck tires, beafier frame. Basically a much more stable towing platform.
There are a select few 140/1500s that are listed to tow your trailer, but. Yes, but, but what happens when you discover this monster trailer does not handle like you think it should and decide to upgrade to something else? Now you not only want more trailer but to handle it you need to spend big bucks on another truck. Buy a truck to handle your next trailer now.
Modern 2500s ride and handle nearly as well as 1500s from 5 years ago, so you reasoning is simply not there.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Much bigger brakes, stronger suspension, more powerful engine. And buy a 1 ton not a 3/4 ton. When compared to the price of the truck, the price differential between a 3/4 and 1 ton is small. The two handle the same. And the 1 ton will have a higher resale value and will give you room to expand if you decide to get a 5th wheel in the future.

BTW I went from a F150 to the F350 and with the notable exception of the turning radius they handle just about the same.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper