cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission type

ROYBUCK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 Lincoln 2 wheel drive crew cab. I have two questions #l does any one know what type of transmission I have it is a four speed Auto. 2. Is the front wheel bearings sealed. The reason I am asking these questions I am getting ready to take to dealer for 60,000 Maintenance, The book says to change fluid in Transmission for TorqShift, I don't think it is a TorqShift but thought I would ask, also the book says replace grease seals if not sealed. I wanted to know before they charged me for something they didn't need to do. I called the dealer they told me I would need to bring it in so they could check it, they have all records on this truck looks like they could go by the Vin and find out. Thanks. You campers up north need to hit the road or put it to sleep for the winter.

Roy
Roy B Coal Miners Son
USMC Ret
Semper Fi
11 REPLIES 11

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
jus2shy wrote:
carringb wrote:
I've never had a Ford dealer try to sell unnecessary services. They simply do my oil change or requested repairs, and the printout has the next recommended services from the manual.

You sir have a more honest dealership. I can't count the number of times a customer has been showed a dirty air filter and told it was in critical condition and horrible things would happen if it wasn't changed now, or how a customer has had a light bulb shined in their face that was bad because it was after-market and burned-out, and so you needed to have an OEM light bulb and a "tech" to replace it because the job was so arduous a task for a person with a screw driver and socket wrench set to handle. It happens in certain areas, but that's not to disclaim that there's no such thing as an honest dealership. You are lucky.

A lot of this is due to the fact that dealerships have an extra layer of employees called "service writers" and most I know are on commission. They have sales quotas they have to meet. I have a buddy that went from a service tech to service writer and does quite well in terms of income.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
I've never had a Ford dealer try to sell unnecessary services. They simply do my oil change or requested repairs, and the printout has the next recommended services from the manual.

You sir have a more honest dealership. I can't count the number of times a customer has been showed a dirty air filter and told it was in critical condition and horrible things would happen if it wasn't changed now, or how a customer has had a light bulb shined in their face that was bad because it was after-market and burned-out, and so you needed to have an OEM light bulb and a "tech" to replace it because the job was so arduous a task for a person with a screw driver and socket wrench set to handle. It happens in certain areas, but that's not to disclaim that there's no such thing as an honest dealership. You are lucky.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Mark_Kovalsky
Explorer
Explorer
skipnchar wrote:
My GUESS would be it's an E4OD transmission (often linked with the 5.4 V8 Triton engine) or one of it's successors.

The last year for the E4OD was 1998. It was replaced by the 4R100. The last year for the 4R100 was 2004.

This truck has a 4R75E.

skipnchar wrote:
If you take it to the dealer THEY will know what is required for the 60,000 mile service. Just have them tell YOU what they need to do ahead of time so you have some control (in case you feel you need it)
Good luck / Skip

So will any independent shop that knows how to read an owner's manual. Any independent shop that is worth going to also has a subscription to a service that tells them the same information the dealer has. Most independents can do that EXACT same job at a small fraction of what a dealer would charge.
Mark

Former Ford Automatic Transmission Engineer, 1988-2007

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bamaman1 wrote:
Do yourself a favor and find a good independent shop to do your work. Going in for a 60k service is a dealer's license to steal.

Remember the dealer's Service Writer (Advisor) is not your friend. He's a very highly paid commissioned salesman. His job is selling $300 brake jobs to little old ladies for $1,000--and he's without conscience.

I suggest following the maintenance schedule as noted in your owners manual and documentation. Nothing more, nothing less. You'll come out better if you order specific job tasks done vs. giving the dealer the Carte Blanch orders to do it all.

I'm an ex-auto manufacturer employee--with inside knowledge of every facet of an automobile dealership.

Listen to this man. Only do the service that is required in your manual.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
You have a 4R75E transmission in this truck. Front wheel bearings are sealed, so no wheel bearing maintenance required.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No matter what trans it has, if you use it to tow then change that fluid.
Then follow all of Bamamans advice. He is absolutely on the money.

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
Do yourself a favor and find a good independent shop to do your work. Going in for a 60k service is a dealer's license to steal.

Remember the dealer's Service Writer (Advisor) is not your friend. He's a very highly paid commissioned salesman. His job is selling $300 brake jobs to little old ladies for $1,000--and he's without conscience.

I suggest following the maintenance schedule as noted in your owners manual and documentation. Nothing more, nothing less. You'll come out better if you order specific job tasks done vs. giving the dealer the Carte Blanch orders to do it all.

I'm an ex-auto manufacturer employee--with inside knowledge of every facet of an automobile dealership.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Not likely it will be a torqueshift since that is offered only in the SuperDuty line of trucks and vans. My GUESS would be it's an E4OD transmission (often linked with the 5.4 V8 Triton engine) or one of it's successors.
If you take it to the dealer THEY will know what is required for the 60,000 mile service. Just have them tell YOU what they need to do ahead of time so you have some control (in case you feel you need it)
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Torqshift is only in the F250 and up. The Lincoln LT (rebadged F150) doesn't use this transmission. The F150 and Lincoln LT use Ford's 4R75E 4 speed auto trans in 2007.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lincoln makes trucks?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman