cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with lamination on Keystone Cougar

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Keystone Cougar and last year noticed a few very small ripple looking spots on the front of the camper which would disappear according to the weather. Well, in the last two or three months it has progressed to a couple of large buckles near the roof. To us it looks like a delamination problem. There is absolutely no signs of water damage, inside or out, and the front roof seam is sealed well. Has any one else had this problem, and if so, what was the outcome.

Thanks in advance
Retired Full-Time Army National Guard

2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel
2008 30 ft Keystone Cougar
Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars
"Loving every minute of Full-timing"
God is good, all the time......all the time, God is good!

12 REPLIES 12

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, folks. We will keep our eyes on it, that's for sure

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The decal for the front cap must be expensive, I see Keystones without them after the replacement.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Since the front piece is most likely not laminated, it can't delaminate. It can buckle, it is an attachment and fit problem, and the fit does change with temperature and change of geometry as the various pieces of the "box" move around. You need to make sure that the seams, front to roof, front to sides, stay sealed, and none of the pieces are actually detaching from each other.

X2
There have been a few posts on the Forum about Keystone filon front caps buckling. Some owners were lucky and Keystone fixed the problem. Others, not so. A dealer should have technicians on hand that can remove the front cap and install it again with some additional bracing. The main issue is that the cap is not originally installed with mounting frame underneath the whole cap. Heat and road vibration cause the cap to buckle because of expansion and contraction. If an owner is handy, I don't think it's difficult to remove the cap. Most of it is held at the edges.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since the front piece is most likely not laminated, it can't delaminate. It can buckle, it is an attachment and fit problem, and the fit does change with temperature and change of geometry as the various pieces of the "box" move around. You need to make sure that the seams, front to roof, front to sides, stay sealed, and none of the pieces are actually detaching from each other.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Mine too, up by the roof and where a light is. I inspected it for loose calking and leaks and I can't find anything wrong with that aspect. Looks bad but I don't think its that big an issue....is it?

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed many trailers with the delamination on them...what is the repair on them?
Mark

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
Since a couple of places have actually started to buckle, it has not gone away. Would this be something a camper dealer could repair?

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

Mr_MrsSchleppro
Explorer
Explorer
That's why on some of the newer higher end units they're doing the "vacuum bonding" walls.
Phil&April
'99F-250Superduty4x4/CrewCab/7.3
'04Tahoe4x4/5.3
'14 Salem 29ud3 TT
We used to have Johnny Cash and Bob Hope,now we have no cash and no hope.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Since it's coming and going, it sounds more like a glue issue and not really something that will cause problems other than cosmetic. FWIW, a lot of manufacturers were having issues with adhesives back then.
Delam never goes away on its own.

campgrandma
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is up at he roofline. Anybody have any luck getting Keystone to take responsibility?

Prodigy Brake Control
Reese Dual Cam Sway Bars

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it happens to a lot of fiberglass nose caps after a while the glue lets lose. My 2010 Lance TC has one spot that has a little ripple and I have looked and it is not a water leak the fiberglass siding is just not glued down anymore. It is above a running light.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
yep mime too