cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck alingment

marobrown
Explorer
Explorer
I'm am preparing to get new tires on my truck, and am going to have an alignment done at the same time. The tires I am running now were installed in 2008, and have 102,000 miles on them. The inside of the tires is noticeably worn more that the rest of the tire, I'm thinking this is from the truck being aligned empty and getting thrown off when I haul my trailer. No belts showing or anything like that, just can see there is no longer any tread on the inside, just smooth, I have been able to keep this even over all 4 tires throughout the life by rotating them every other oil change. Since 2011 my truck hasn't been a daily driver anymore, and has had around 35,000 miles out on it. Roughly 20-25k while pulling. I am thinking of having the truck aligned with a 1-2 hundred pounds of weight in the bed to simulate a closer situation of my stance when towing more than empty, or in between. Has anyone ever done this and if so what were the results. Thanks in advance.
2017 F250 6.2/3.73 Supercab longbed Lariat
2011 Shamrock 21SS
11 REPLIES 11

marobrown
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
PLEASE tell me what brand of tire go 102,000 miles on them, I do everything I can and just get 40,000 to 45,000 on a set of tires, hang the alignment!!!!!!!!:?

I have Dayton Timberline AT2 tires in LT265/75/17 load range C. From what I have found it is the same tread pattern and the sister tire to the Firestone Destination AT2. Dayton no longer makes passenger tired anymore and I cannot get the Firestones in a LT size. Only a P265/75/17. So now it's back to the drawing board to choose another tire. I still at the moment have 2/32 before I hit the wear strips but am going to be taking a longer trip this summer and don't want to go that far on tires that are 6 years old or else I would keep running them to see how many miles they lasted until completely worn out.
2011 Shamrock 21SS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
If you got 103,000 on a set of tires I would not touch the alignment!

You beat me to it!
You're schedule is free on alignment day........
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cdlaine
Explorer
Explorer
all the above...102 K miles.... pass on the alignment, apparently not needed.

shoot... I religiously follow tire pressure, rotate, balance, and align, don't use tire treatments, inspect. I don't get half of what you get...

p.s. very envious of your tire mileage. Well done.

Charles
2003 2500HD, 8.1L,CC,4.10,2WD,Allison
Standard bed
Ride-rite air bags
Prodigy
Husky 16K sliding

2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox Ed.
Pin wt.(CAT Scale) 2660#
5th (Cat Scale) 12600#

I'll want the Frim Fram sauce with the Ausen Fey with
Chafafa on the side.... Nat

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
PLEASE tell me what brand of tire go 102,000 miles on them, I do everything I can and just get 40,000 to 45,000 on a set of tires, hang the alignment!!!!!!!!:?
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to check the hub bearings.
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1000

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

+1
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

marobrown
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
I'm no expert at all but my reasoning is if this were an alignment issue you would never have gotten that many miles from the set of tires. I also can't understand how weight pressing down on the truck suspension would cause inside wear on every tire unless grossly overloaded. I would suggest this is an air pressure adjustment that needs to be made for that particular make/set of tires. Hoping an expert comes along with an expert opinion.

I'm not getting wear on every tire all the time, only on the front and I kept the wear even by rotating every 8-10k miles religiously. Granted throughout 102k miles it is not throwing it for that much, mainly due to the wd hitch but it is still there. Ride height and suspension load can directly effect camber and toe angles. When doing alignments in school just sitting on the tailgate of a truck on the rack would throw out the toe a few tenths of an inch.
2011 Shamrock 21SS

Bob_Sue
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it were me, I would contact a reputable frame shop who works on large trucks etc. They are the ones who know what to look for and if putting weight in the box or not will accomplish anything. Also tell them about W/D hitch if you are using one.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no expert at all but my reasoning is if this were an alignment issue you would never have gotten that many miles from the set of tires. I also can't understand how weight pressing down on the truck suspension would cause inside wear on every tire unless grossly overloaded. I would suggest this is an air pressure adjustment that needs to be made for that particular make/set of tires. Hoping an expert comes along with an expert opinion.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)