cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck and accessories for New Popup Camper

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after far too long without a rig, I'm finally getting a new one. I've had class A's and C's, but always wanted something I could really get into the back country with. With most of the dealers quoting a year or more delivery, I stumbled into a small dealer that just got notice of a Palomino popup camper build ready in 6 weeks, so I bought it. It's not what I really wanted, and I know it's not the quality I'm used to, but it'll get me out there and satisfy my curiosity on the concept anyway. It's a 1608, which is made for 1/2 ton, 6.5' bed with the tailgate down. It has a toilet and shower, albeit a minuscule one with 15 gal tank, but my intent is to use it for 1-2 nights at a time, and stay in hotels and B&B's the rest of the time, while traveling the country. I chose the popup for off road use, and the ability to pull into my garage, parking garages, etc.

So cart before the horse, I'm now looking at a new truck for it. The camper weighs just under 1800 lbs, and an F150 Supercab 4X4 with a V8, has at least some margin for the payload, (2240 lbs), since I'm a light packer, and I'm wanting the shorter wheelbase vs the Supercrew. Not knowing much about tiedowns and such, I've been given the advice to get Torklift tiedowns, and Timbrens or airbags. Unfortunately, beggars also can't be choosers when it comes to the truck, but I'm hoping to find one that only has the options I can use, and not stuff like the 360 cameras, Pro Power, since I doubt it's accessible with the camper on, etc. Not sure which of their tire options I should be looking at, though I may do a swapout for something even better when I buy it, if that seems to be a good idea. Any other ideas about options I need or ones I'll regret?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

20 REPLIES 20

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
According to Ford, the F250's I'm looking at have a payload between 3450 and 3550, which should give me that margin I was looking for.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
im5150too wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
The DRY weight of the camper is 1795lbs. That doesn't include battery (40lbs), full water tank (125lbs), or any optional equipment it may have. That is not a margin for payload.

In addition, you have to include the weight of the tiedowns, etc. into that payload. You'll be overweight before you get out the door.

You need to use the GVWR of the camper to pick a truck - and make sure you leave enough payload for tiedowns and anything else you add to the truck.

Thanks, the dealer made it sound like I was more than fine, but I need to do some more looking. It's frustrating that the camper manufacturers claim they make units for any 1/2 ton trucks, and they're overweight. Some of them weigh quite a bit more than this one.

Yeah, dealers will do that. They don't care about after the sale.

As you already bought the camper, you're kind of stuck. With a truck camper, you really need to get bigger payload - especially at the rear axle.

4wd, extended/crew cabs, etc will usually lower payload. Often a 250 has similar payload. You really have to look at the numbers of each individual truck.

Payload will have accounted for (most usually) 150lbs for the driver and a full tank of fuel. So, if you are over 150lbs, you have to add that extra to your cargo weight.

Correction to my above comment, truck campers don't have a gvwr. So you have two choices:

1. wait until you get the amper, load it for a trip and borrow/rent a truck to take it to the scalles;

2. estimate high for your espected total load.

Hopefully some current truck camper owners will post and give you some real world numbers to work with.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I'm already shopping for an F250, unfortunately, they have a longer wheelbase and are even harder to come by these days.

Thanks for the replies!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Payload usually includes people as well, and as far as the TC goes, most of that weight will only be on the rear.

Most dealers donโ€™t seem to care if you are overloaded or not. I think you should consider a Super Duty F250/350 or similar. Yep, they are a lot heavier.

Or, go with something like a Four Wheel Camper stripped down model if you want to stay with a F150. That way, you can minimize the weight and only get the options you really want.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

im5150too
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
The DRY weight of the camper is 1795lbs. That doesn't include battery (40lbs), full water tank (125lbs), or any optional equipment it may have. That is not a margin for payload.

In addition, you have to include the weight of the tiedowns, etc. into that payload. You'll be overweight before you get out the door.

You need to use the GVWR of the camper to pick a truck - and make sure you leave enough payload for tiedowns and anything else you add to the truck.

Thanks, the dealer made it sound like I was more than fine, but I need to do some more looking. It's frustrating that the camper manufacturers claim they make units for any 1/2 ton trucks, and they're overweight. Some of them weigh quite a bit more than this one.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)