cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck bought for truck camper

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a 2007 G M C 4x4 3500 72000 miles It is in immaculate condition, while checking it out at home after I bought it. there were two alternators under the hood I do not think this is stock but do know the man I got it from had pulled a fifth wheel with it. does anyone have any information about this model. My next move is to get either a bigfoot or dry bath northern lite.I may have to do some traveling to find either model because I live in north west Georgia. I would like to know if any one knows anything about the truck if it has a separate alternator just to charge the batteries in my next purchase the truck camper that would be great the reason I can not ask the man I bought it from the truck was sold after the fifth wheel and he left ij a motorhome right after I bought the truck he said he wanted to be free of everything that might tie him down. I will say the truck drives and looks new just have to take the fifth wheel rails off.
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low
14 REPLIES 14

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
skyhammer wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
Ford offers the dual alternator as well if you get the 'Ambulance' package.

Just keep in mind that with both, when getting a replacement serpentine drive belt, you need to specify 'ambulance' which is a longer belt.

You don't need the ambulance package to get dual alternators on a Ford.
Every Ford diesel has the dual alternator option. With my Ford, dual alternators were required because of my options.
You also don't have to specify "ambulance" when buying a new belt, you just buy the belt that is for two alternators.

Could have fooled me. but then I have a 97. When I bought mine in 97, that was the SOP for dual alternators. According to Gates, you have to specify single or dual alternators when getting a Fleetrunner Serpentine belt.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:

Just keep in mind that with both, when getting a replacement serpentine drive belt, you need to specify 'ambulance' which is a longer belt.

You don't need the ambulance package to get dual alternators on a Ford.
Every Ford diesel has the dual alternator option. With my Ford, dual alternators were required because of my options.
You also don't have to specify "ambulance" when buying a new belt, you just buy the belt that is for two alternators.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many people are disappointed with hauling TCs and whether they have 2 alternators or not becomes a moot point and unimportant.

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
A good find indeed devildog. Glad to hear you'll be back in the TC world soon. The DH and I took his travel trailer to the annual family campout last month. It reminded me of why I love my TC so much.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
ppine wrote:
I bought a new one ton Ford to haul a camper. I bought a solid one that was not too big and did not hang over the end of the bed. Without additional air bags it was top heavy especially on windy mountain roads and in the wind. I sold it and moved on to TT.

Grit dog wrote:
^ Squirrel!
Waht does this post have to do with dual alternators?

^^^ lol

You don't understand. It was because of the extra weight of the two alternators that the truck handled poorly. The airbags needed were for the front.

Have to read between the lines.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Squirrel!
Waht does this post have to do with dual alternators?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a new one ton Ford to haul a camper. I bought a solid one that was not too big and did not hang over the end of the bed. Without additional air bags it was top heavy especially on windy mountain roads and in the wind. I sold it and moved on to TT.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
My 09 Duramax has dual alternators as well. No idea why the dealer optioned it like that. It's a long bed CC 4x4 with LTZ interior.

I have a heavy duty gauge charge line dedicated for RV charging, it's a 4 AWG cable.

Some day I will upload a video of it once I get it edited.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Ram also offers dual alternators. both charge both batteries.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Nice find!
Regardless of which model it is.
With dual alts, I'd suspect the PO had a dedicated charging circuit for his camper and if not, you can hook one up that will put some real charging power onto your camper batteries.
The alternators are combined into your trucks charging system and I don't think you want to split them. Just leave the truck stock and get or use a heavy gauge charging lead to the camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, GM offered dual alternators as an option. I ordered and have the dual alternators option on my Chevy 6.6 Duramax truck and what a great real quick job they do in recharging my 7 big group 31 12V deepcycle 5th wheel batteries and the 2 diesel truck batteries also! A great option to have for RV'ing.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
I just bought a 2007 G M C

Which body style is it? 07 Classic? (GMT800)

Or the GMT900, newer body style ? (which would actually be an 07.5)

GMT900=07.5-2014
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
devildog1971 wrote:
I just bought a 2007 G M C 4x4 3500 72000 miles It is in immaculate condition, while checking it out at home after I bought it. there were two alternators under the hood I do not think this is stock but do know the man I got it from had pulled a fifth wheel with it.

Mine has two alternators. It's a factory option.
Bob