cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck camper and a motorcycle

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
I have the camper in my sig line and I've been thinking it would be nice to pull a motorcycle behind the camper. I can set up the camper at a site and leave everything hooked up and use the bike to get around for the day.

I DON'T want a Harley and I can't use a 250 cc "hamster bike". I'm 6 ft, 215 lb. I took the MSA class on a Suzuki TU 250X. I was so cramped up I found I was riding the rear brake because my foot wouldn't clear the pedal when it was on the peg.

Anyone have any suggestions? Would a dual sport style bike be the answer? If so, which ones are weighted to on-road over dirt? Any advice is appreciated. (Except "Motorcycles are dangerous". I know).
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.
60 REPLIES 60

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
steve68steve wrote:
AITG wrote:

1. ... sticking largely to roads, mostly paved ones....

2. Less than 10k. ... fuel injection and ABS .... I like the feel of light weight bikes.

3. ....reliable starts-every-time-and-never-strands-me performance....

4. Inseam in boots, 35 inches.

Does this help at all?
Yes, you want a Suzuki V Strom 650.

I found a website www.stromtrooper.com There is a ton of information on the V-Strom. I'm pretty sure that's going to be my target bike. As soon as it starts snowing I'll start shopping (Yes, I am that cheap...).
The Big Dog.
2003 Lance 1121

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Suzuki DRZ400S is an awesome bike too, for a bike smaller than the KLR650
Bob

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Vibration is pretty much a non issue. I can ride mine 300+ miles a day and it doesn't bother me, as long as I have a AIRHAWK seat cushion!
Bob

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Plus the WR250R gets around 65mpg...so I can't really see the need for lectric.

From a coolness standpoint though, I like the idea of a full electric motorcycle. There is the stealth aspect also...

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
Dirt bike did a review of the Zero and were impressed with the power plant, but not the suspension! The bike has improved from its mountain bike origin, but still needs improvement. The KTM electric Free Ride if available in NA would be a better choice at this time.

A Yamaha XT225 would be way to small and under powered; I owned one and upgraded to the WR250R. I have also owned an 96 XT 350 and a 2004 XR 400; the WR250R is faster and more nimble.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

JohninSD
Explorer
Explorer
One more option is one of the electric dual sports available now - Zero is one brand. They are said to have a 60 or 70 mile range as I recall - that would be plenty for me the way I use the bike now. And no oil changes, valve adjustments, etc. Still a chain though - or maybe they have belts by now. I'd be shopping for one if I didn't have the DRZ400.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bikes and truck campers are a great combination.

Sounds like something in the new 700 twin line from Honda might meet your goals.

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a Yamaha XT225 up front and no problems at all, except as mentioned, bugs.Light weight, easy to move around. Might be a little small for you.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yamaha's are fine, but they really don't play in the bigger dual sport game.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
The WR250R, KTM 350 exc and DRZ400 are lite enough to carry on a front rack. I prefer not to tow if I do not have to. I have had no issues with my 2009 WR besides wearing out rear tires. The bike has traveled over 6000 miles on the front of the truck. It does not block my view, but does get covered in bugs!
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

odis
Explorer
Explorer
Wr250r
Jim

Jfet
Explorer
Explorer
Two mentioned Yammy. Me and that Canadian fellow who carries it on the front of his truck. They do have the issue that you need to adjust the valve clearance at 24,000 miles...

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to say "thank you" to everyone for giving me thoughtful, helpful advice. It really is helping me think through the process without a salesman telling me "You need..." when he really means "I gotta get rid of..."

I have come back to the idea I want to enjoy a fun ride ... that fits me.

It's interesting that only 1 person mentioned a Yamaha.
The Big Dog.
2003 Lance 1121

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
AITG wrote:

1. ... sticking largely to roads, mostly paved ones....

2. Less than 10k. ... fuel injection and ABS .... I like the feel of light weight bikes.

3. ....reliable starts-every-time-and-never-strands-me performance....

4. Inseam in boots, 35 inches.

Does this help at all?
Yes, you want a Suzuki V Strom 650.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I bought one off Craigs List last spring. They are giving motorcycles away. I got a 2007 Honda VTX 1300 with less than 4000 miles for 4200 in pristine condition. A bike like that should be plenty big for you. Im pulling it in a 7x14 enclosed trailer with 2 kyaks and 2 bikes.