cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck & Camper compatibility

MT_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
does anyone have this or similar setup and can you tell me how it works. I have a 2011 Lance 855 and will be putting it on my 2017 F250 this spring. Any thoughts of possible suspension enhancements I should do to help? I have installed Timbrens on the truck and that is all I have done to the truck.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
MT Camper
10 REPLIES 10

grapestumper
Explorer
Explorer
Had my 2011 AF 811S (slide-out) on a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 with rear hellwig swaybar, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks, extra leaf spring, air bags, Vision 19.5 wheel/tires combo and a 2" levelling kit at the front. Not sure but the levelling kit may have impacted the typical GM front low "stance" & balance. The end results were that I was white knuckling it the whole time particularly on narrow bumpy roads, so much that it felt the front end was airborne at times. Thousands wasted. Less than a year later I bought a 2008 F-350 4X4 short box dually with camper package, 19.5 wheel/tires combo, air bags and I added Torqlift uppers. The difference is day and night!
2004 GMC Duramax 2500HD CC 4X4 SWB
2007 Thor/Dutchmen Colorado RK 28

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also tires.

You need E rated tires at 3600 pounds or more. Run at 80 psi (max pressure).
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add Bilstein shocks and NO rear sway bar.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I also have a 2011 855 and a 2006 chevy 2500. I have added airbags (your Timbrens will do fine.) I also added a Big wig sway bar, but honestly cannot tell a difference. The truck handles it just fine.
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Timbrens will get you home and may be all you need. Iโ€™d haul the camper first as suggested above.
If it holds the load good, then a sway bar may be a worthy addition.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
scout4trout wrote:
I was presuming you got the camper package on the F250.

This^

If not, I believe adding overload springs would help a lot. On my old F250 I had the camper package with overloads and I also had air bags. When I put too much air in the bags lifting it off of the overloads, I knew it. Upper stable loads engaging my overload springs was the most stable feeling mod I had.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
I was presuming you got the camper package on the F250.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a 2017 F250, and our old Alpenlite which had a similar base weight as the Lance 855 was easy to carry with just the addition of airbags. We really liked the Alpenlite on our Chevy 2500 as well as on the Ford. The Northern Lite we now have is a bit heavier and is still fine on this truck. The only other addition we have considered is the Hellwig Big Wig sway bar which would be better than the OEM sway bar.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Used to have a Maverick model 8801. I think the weight was comparable to an 855.

My F250 came from the factory with the plow prep package. It had a 1 - 1.5 inch squat, without putting anything in the bed. I replaced the spring blocks with a set for an F350 (they are two inches taller the F250 blocks) and I installed Timbrens. With the camper, the truck sat level. Without the camper, the rear end sat higher by a little over an inch. I also, added Big Wig sway bar.

Note: When you load the camper, you'll want to increase pressure in your tires, and if you stop somewhere for an oil change, the grease monkeys are trained to let air out to get it back down to what the door sticker says.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

RamblinAnne
Explorer
Explorer
As always, best to wait on spending a ton of money upgrading your truck until you see what you need. Start with tiedowns and a rubber mat. I haven't done anything more than that to my truck and I've gone across the country twice with no issues at all. See how the truck sits once you load the camper on. You already have timbrens so I doubt you'll have much squat in the back. Drive around a bit with the camper on and see how it handles on turns. And only do one upgrade at a time so you can see which ones work for you.
2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer