cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT sizing for Ford E-350 TV

packmule
Explorer
Explorer
We're a family of six with two teenage boys and a yellow lab. We're considering a TT for summer road trips. We have a '01 Ford E-350 van as the TV. I need to sleep six, but have no other space requirements. Roughly what size TT should I be looking at? I'm looking for general sizing/weight guidelines rather than model specifics. I will be looking for a good used trailer.

Vehicle specs:

2001 Ford E-350 regular body passenger van
6.8L V10, 4.10 limited slip rear end, tow package w/ trailer brake
Curb weight: ~5900 lbs (will weigh to verify)
GVWR: 8,700
GCWR: 18,500
Max trailer weight: 10,000
Family weight: ~1,050 including dog

Thanks for any advice.
9 REPLIES 9

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
We have 4 kids and the Jayco 32BHDS suits us fine. My 6.8L Excursion tows it fine.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

packmule
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the great advice and floor plan ideas. It's time to make a list of requirements and prioritize things. Bunk sizes are important... my two older boys are both right at 6' tall. We plan to camp at locations with full hookups, though I can't rule out dry camping. I'll be mindful of water capacity, battery and storage limitations as I narrow my search down. I'm sure I'll have many questions as I go through the process. It should be fun!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
APT wrote:
You should be good up to about 8k dry. Bunk house for sure. Probably the most popular large floorplan is a variation of this:

But my wife and I like this one better for our use:

Of the former, I really like the Prime Time Lacrosse 318BHS the best. Of the later, the Keystone Outback 301.

I m going to second this!! Most bunk house models now lose one bunk to the outside kitchen. Thats okay with only one or two kiddos but in a situation like yours that extra bunk could really make a difference. now you have the sofa bed with one child in it and the dinette with one child on it, which means everyone gets a bed.

if you upgrade the receiver your van should be able to handle something like this.

what is nice about this floor plan is that it gives two distinct areas that are not just limited to sleeping areas. (this floor plan is probably what we are going to buy next)

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You should be good up to about 8k dry. Bunk house for sure. Probably the most popular large floorplan is a variation of this:

But my wife and I like this one better for our use:

Of the former, I really like the Prime Time Lacrosse 318BHS the best. Of the later, the Keystone Outback 301.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
packmule wrote:
We're a family of six with two teenage boys and a yellow lab. We're considering a TT for summer road trips. We have a '01 Ford E-350 van as the TV. I need to sleep six, but have no other space requirements. Roughly what size TT should I be looking at? I'm looking for general sizing/weight guidelines rather than model specifics. I will be looking for a good used trailer.

Vehicle specs:

2001 Ford E-350 regular body passenger van
6.8L V10, 4.10 limited slip rear end, tow package w/ trailer brake
Curb weight: ~5900 lbs (will weigh to verify)
GVWR: 8,700
GCWR: 18,500
Max trailer weight: 10,000
Family weight: ~1,050 including dog

Thanks for any advice.

WOW looks like we have a VAN LOVE FEST starting here and I had to join in. You have probably the second best TV available for larger familes ... mine is first just because of the engine:B A HUGE PLUS for you is with the 4.10 and 18,500 GCWR you are not limited for the most part is the cargo added to the TV reducing your max tow number. As mentioned the one big potential limitation is is TW since for larger trailers that can exceed 1,000lbs and unless you go to something like a Pull-Rite 2/20K hitch or the FULL TANK BUMPER upgrade like carringb has the receiver upgrades generally max out at 1200lb TW. Thus the only real limitation is going to be your TW and with such a capable and probably heavy TV and a good WDH/SWAY hitch you can be on the lighter end of the normal TW percentage IMO. Of course there is always the ProPride or Hensley option to help out on low TW percentages. My Van typically weighs more than 2,000 lbs than what my TT axles weigh. When loaded there are not too many "TAILS" that are going to "WAG" your "DOG" so to speak.

My current set up is a 31' TT with a 1K TW and TT Axle wt of 7K and fully loaded for one of our extended road trips I go across the scales at 16.5K give or take a couple of hundred lbs ... and I have a 20K GCWR.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 2005 E350 in our signature - makes a great tow vehicle - very comfortable ride, and will run all day at 65mph - but only get like 9-10 mpg. If you get on some of the Ford Van Forums, the consensus seems to be that the weak link may be the 1000 lb tongue weight limit due to the OEM hitch. There are heavier duty after market hitches with higher ratings available.

We are a little biased, but you might want to look at the bigger Keystone Outbacks. We have a couples oriented Rear Living Room model, but they have several bunkhouse models available. We think the Outbacks are a good value for the buck, and have been very satisfied with ours .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
A bunkhouse is a must. Similar with clothes storage and outside storage for various items. For a family of six, I'd say 30 feet is the smallest I'd go.

Slide-outs will be a must. One large one at the minimum, preferably 2+, just so there is space in inclement weather or just for those times where you want to not bother going somewhere.

As aarond76 asked, consider where the trailer is going as well. One needs to consider a lot more things when dry camping than when going from campground to campground. Water and wastewater tank capacity are vital. Similar with what batteries are in use.

Finally, don't forget to consider a decent portable generator (or generators) for battery charging when not on hookups. A lot of people use a pair of Honda eu2000is models with great success.

Bluedog
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weight! I have a 2001 E350 15 passenger V10 and 4.10 rear end with a 28 ft TT that weighs in at about 5600 empty. While we do travel a lot in Colorado with mountain grades some of the Interstate grades in other states result in a slow climb. Since you don't have the extended body that would probably help somewhat.

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2002 E350 w/ v10. They are great tow vehicles. You have one of the few to come with factory 4.10's which are better for towing. Most, including mine came with 3.73. From a tow vehicle perspective you have the capacity to get most travel trailers they make.

I would be looking for a quad bunkhouse so everyone has there own bed. These are commonly called out as 29 - 32' campers. They will measure 31' to about 36' long from ball to bumper.

Clothes storage in them runs from minimal to extensive so keep that in mind when looking.

Will you be camping with full hook-ups? If not then pay attention to water capacity. Ultra-lights will start at 30 gallons. Others will hold 40 - 50 gallons. Some of the newer Jayco's will hold 86 gallons but most anything else will top out around 50.

With teenage boys pay attention to bunk sizes to make sure everyone fits. 74" long is typical but some are shorter. Some bunks are as narrow as 26" and some are wider. Quad bunk houses many times have wider bunks on one side than the other.