cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update older Terry 22'

silentdub
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any cost effective options to update the exterior of an older trailer? I'd like to just go over what is already there with a newer design or updated material.

Any suggestions?

How about new roofing material, can anyone recommend any coverings, white preferred?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

silentdub
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking that if I can find someone trashing one with the same style siding I could grab a few pieces and patch them in before painting.

Things are still up in the air right now, just looking at all ideas.

The roof is solid but the membrane is shot. I may end up going with a metal roof, maybe with a rise in the center to help water/snow roll off.

The trailer is in great shape considering but the few pieces of the siding just kill it.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure how to attach anything to the siding you already have. If you could figure that out I wonder if you could use glass board? They have many different styles of it now and it's fairly durable. At least it is in our hog barns .
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would leave the roof vents in, especially in a hunting rig with a wood stove. The enemy of living in a TT is water vapor in the air and you want to get that out, ceiling vents are the best for that.

There are a number of DIY videos, online, that show how to reroof a TT.

I painted my rig and it has aluminum panels that cover openings where windows, furnace, and an air conditioner were installed. From a few feet, they are invisible. I don't know how fancy you're aiming for but removing all the good aluminum siding and replacing it isn't a task that is worthy or needed, IMO. Sealing it for weather protection is the best course.

Picture of paint job:

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

silentdub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback.

I know I can paint it, in fact, I have a full spray setup and a booth but the other side has had some cuts and covers made.

This is the plan for this guy. It is going to be made in to a permanent hunting cabin.

I would like to remove the roof vents and anything else and completly cover the roof with some sort of rubber roof or like product. The roof isn't in bad shape but not good enough to take and leave it in the mountains.

As for the siding, not sure what I am going to do yet. I'd like to re-side it with some fiberglass or vinyl material. I am not sure what is readily available that is also cost effective.

The inside is getting made more in to a cabin style, with fold up beds up front, wood stove and small kitchen area. The permanent location won't have water or any other utilities so I will be installing some solar panels on the roof to provide some power for lights and possibly a small radio or microwave oven, etc.

I'd really like to just make the roof bullet proof and update the facade. The other side had a heater or something installed which was removed, so I would need to get the same type of siding in order to paint it. Is this siding still available or does anyone know of a surplus?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just saw the picture! WOW that is an exact copy of our first TT 22 Terry with rear bath! I could tell you some stories abiut that beast

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think they look good just the way they are. Were using ours right now bear and turkey hunting.

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Frizlefrak
Explorer
Explorer
$15 Harbor Freight Spray gun, compressor, gallon of Rustoleum (your choice of color) and a gallon of thinner, a respirator, and a few scuffing pads. Then a roll of masking tape and newspaper. Prep it ahead of time, wait for a calm dry day, and shoot it. Under $100 and a new look.

Shoot the steel wheels white again, and get some new wheel covers. Trailer will look great!

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
If the exterior is in good shape, but merely faded, consider the Red max pro/Zep treatment, which has good results on aluminum as well.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Snow Roof for all my older travel trailers and also used it on my Lance camper. I have one that looks almost identical to yours except it's a Security camper. Owned several Terry trailers, one of the best in my opinion.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spray on bed liner for the roof, paint the exterior using cheap one step auto paint.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I painted my Starcraft, real happy with the improvement. If you have an EPDM roof and it is in bad shape, new, white EPDM is available if you want to replace it. If the roof is in fairly good shape, there are a number of coating products that will make it look like new. I used an acrylic roof paint on my aluminum roof.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton