cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrade to Yukon xl Denali...super happy

jcgib81
Explorer
Explorer
So this season I upgraded from my 2007 Chevy Suburban 5.3 liter with tow package to my 2011 Yukon xl Denali 6.2 Liter. The difference in towing is night and day.
I knew I was close with power and the weight as my trailer comes in at 7455 lbs loaded for camping. The suburban was struggling to say the least and I had it for three years from Virginia to Maine.

If anyone is looking at the Yukon xl Denali, I would recommend it for the amount of people it can hold and I was not prepared how strong the 6.2 Liter is. Night and day towing. The transmission even down shifts when in tow/haul mode to help slow the trailer, something the Suburban never did. We just returned from a 1100 mile trip from Virginia and Gettysburg and only averaged 9.2 mpg but I didn't buy it for mileage. The auto ride suspension is great, no airbags needed which I did have to get rid of the squat in the Suburban.
I asked a few members on here before I actually towed with it to get an idea how it would be but no replies. Even the comfort of driving was awesome. Just my opinion.
Happy camping everyone.
PS I cant have a pickup due to the custom security work that I do driving certain clients. Had to keep SUV for both.

2011 Bullet Premier 31bhpr, Equalizer hitch.
2012 Keystone Premier 31BHPR (Blue Body Paint)
2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali Equalizer WD
DW,DS,DD
9 REPLIES 9

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the 2015 XL may come with the 8 speed tranny.

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report on the XL Denali. We are looking at that as a potential replacement for our current TV next year. Either a used Denali XL, or a newer '15 Yukon XL.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 2008 6.2l Yukon Denali...not the XL. I pull a 28 ft Apex loaded at about 6300 lbs. The engine is a beast. Live close to the NC mountains and I don't sweat the steep grades. The tow haul mode provides a safe feeling with the auto downshifts (just tap the brakes). The auto ride feature is a big plus. Looking to upgrade to a 2014 Sierra Denali as we are planning a cross country trip and the longer wheelbase vs the shorter Yukon plus it's utility appeals to me. I like the XL, but newer ones are not so easy to find and they are pricey.

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.2 liter engine is standard on the Denali trim.

jcgib81
Explorer
Explorer
My truck is a 2011 Yukon xl Denali. The Denali has the 6.2 liter but I believe it is still considered in the 1500 class.
The Denali has autoride suspension which is great when not towing, and worked great when I was towing.
Like I posted I was pleasantly surprised how the truck downshifted pretty aggressively when slowing down with the trailer.
2012 Keystone Premier 31BHPR (Blue Body Paint)
2011 GMC Yukon XL Denali Equalizer WD
DW,DS,DD

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Considering this combo myself thanks for feedback

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is yours a 2500 series or a 1500 series Yukon XL? I would love to get my hands on a 6.2 GM...even for a test drive.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great report! Thank you for sharing.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
When did GM install the 6.2L gasser into a 8.6K GVWR ?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...