cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgraded from my 2500 Burb

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we bought a bigger boat. After one tandem pull, we decided that it was too big to pull behind the 5er, so I bought a 2003 2500 Burb with the 8.1. The idea was to use it to pull the boat, and something to drive when the weather was bad.

Well, Mrs Bionic Man decided that she really likes the size and function of the Burb, and wanted to get a newer one for her to use as a DD. While I would have been happy with the Burb for a long time to come, it is her turn for a newer car.

So, after about a month search, I found a 2011 Yukon Denali XL in our price range with the lower miles I was looking for.

We will be taking it out this afternoon on the way to the lake. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the 8.1. The 6.2 has less torque, but quite a bit more HP and 2 more gears.

So, pretty soon the Burb will be making someone else a very nice to vehicle.

The Burb.

And the new ride. I should be able to get some better photos this weekend.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
13 REPLIES 13

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Keep both trucks!
Happy wife, and happy towing
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Strictly for towing, I would want every advantage that the 2500 Suburban chassis offers... stable rear leaf spring suspension, thicker material thickness of the frame, heavier duty rear axle, etc. The cost to "upgrade" to a lighter duty version in order to only gain 2 mpg fuel economy would never pay for itself in the short or long term, especially with the added cost of an extra warranty. Unless gas shot up to $10 per gallon.

However, for primary use as a daily driver, the loss of heavy duty components in exchange for the greater comfort of lighter duty, more car like hardware makes a lot of sense. I'll bet your wife is much happier with the trade... and as the old saying goes, happy wife, happy life!

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
We loved out 2008 Yukon XL Denali. It was a powerful beast.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ktosv wrote:
Congrats, I would think you should find the Denali as a good replacement for what you are towing. I too really liked the GMT800 SUV's, but you can't beat the improvements and additional safety features with the newer trucks.

As mentioned, that 6.2L has 60+ HP and two extra gears while only being down 33 #-ft of torque. I am thinking the extra gears and HP will offset the slight decrease in torque. The 6.0L in my Express was happy towing in 5th gear all day long towing a 7200# TT.

I am guessing you will also appreciate the increased fuel economy too. When we got our XL this past November I would have liked to have gotten a Denali, but I decided I really wanted the selectible transfer case more than the 6.2L.

The 8.1 would get 7 - 8 MPG towing the boat at 70. Towing to the lake, the Yukon got 10.59 hand calculated, which was the same as the computer showed. I have not filled up since we got home, but the ride back was a slow and steady climb, gaining around 1500' elevation, and the computer shows 9.6.

The prior owner never reset the trip computer, and over the last 25,000 miles it showed a history of 15 MPG. The 8.1 never got more than 13.

I think it will be a good replacement. I will say that the 2500 did feel more stable. With wind gusts behind the Yukon I could feel a little wiggle in the trailer. Never felt that with the 2500.

Sure is a lot more comfortable going down the road, but it should be with the difference in cost.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
IMHO you will regret getting rid of the 8.1 even tho the new one smells nice. I made it to 60K miles on my `Burb' and it remains to be seen for how many miles the transmission will last. When towing your 6-speed transmission really only has 5 speeds.

We shall see. You are right, the Yukon spent most of our tow (probably around 350 miles round trip) in 5th. It shifted from 5 - 4 probably a similar amount of times that the 2500 shifted from 4 -3.

And, using cruise control (waiting for the tow experts to say I shouldn't), the 2500 would shift into 3rd, and I had to speed up a little and let off the gas to get it to go back to 4th.

I am of the opinion that transmissions are made to shift, so I doubt that will hurt reliability.

I did buy a 3/36 extended warranty, so I am good for a while.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
eDUBz wrote:
mbutts wrote:
I'm drooling over your garage!

X2 - Bad A$$ congrats.

Thanks. If only it were 4' wider, life would be sooooo much easier....... ๐Ÿ™‚

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I miss my 8.1 SUV. I would love to come get yours. Then ktsov brings up fuel economy, and I remember that I am getting 60 percent better mileage not towing, and over 90 percent of my miles are not towing.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, I would think you should find the Denali as a good replacement for what you are towing. I too really liked the GMT800 SUV's, but you can't beat the improvements and additional safety features with the newer trucks.

As mentioned, that 6.2L has 60+ HP and two extra gears while only being down 33 #-ft of torque. I am thinking the extra gears and HP will offset the slight decrease in torque. The 6.0L in my Express was happy towing in 5th gear all day long towing a 7200# TT.

I am guessing you will also appreciate the increased fuel economy too. When we got our XL this past November I would have liked to have gotten a Denali, but I decided I really wanted the selectible transfer case more than the 6.2L.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you will regret getting rid of the 8.1 even tho the new one smells nice. I made it to 60K miles on my `Burb' and it remains to be seen for how many miles the transmission will last. When towing your 6-speed transmission really only has 5 speeds.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's not a garage, that's a shop. Nice!
Puma 30RKSS

MegaCab_PL
Explorer
Explorer
I know that Denali is way ahead comfort wise, interior, and handling.

But those 2500 Subs from 2000-2006 look so cool. I love those wheels and higher stance than 1500.

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:

X2 - Bad A$$ congrats.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer