cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraded tires - air pressure?

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
I had load range D tires on my trailer that require 65 psi. They are the right load range for the trailer, but I wanted 10 ply so when it was time to change the tires I changed to load range E which is 80 psi.

The place I bought the tires from filled them to 65 psi (didn't notice until a few weeks later) but everything I am reading says always fill ST tires to the max.

So should I fill the tires based on trailer weight or the tire?
TV: 2012 Ram 2500
TT: 2023 Cougar 22MLS
24 REPLIES 24

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about trailers but in an RV/motorhome you fill the tire based on the weight of the rig. Further - I upgraded from D's to E's on my Class C - the wheel/rim of the rig has stamp indicating it's designed for lower pressure of D tire - using higher pressure might create an issue.
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"So should I fill the tires based on trailer weight or the tire?"

Fill to manufacturer specs. If you don't and have an issue...you lose...intentionally disregarded manufacturer's specs. That's one reason I stay with LR Ds...65 psi.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Did you get high pressure stems? Otherwise yes I would run them 75/80 psi.

Would there be different stems for 65 or 80 psi?

LoudDog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I had bumped them up to 80 when I caught it, but was second guessing myself.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Run them at 80psi cold inflation.

Why ? What perceived gain is there in doing that ??

The required pressure is determined mostly by the weight carried.
Stepping up one load range should NOT require more pressure to carry the load properly.

THE NUMBER ON THE SIDEWALL INDICATING THE MAXIMUM SAFE PRESSURE HAS ****NOTHING**** TO DO WITH THE PROPER PRESSURE.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Did you get high pressure stems? Otherwise yes I would run them 75/80 psi.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Run them at 80psi cold inflation.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same thing on mine. Very glad I did. Mine has aluminum rims and there were no ratings for weight or pressure. The dealer I bought them from said being aluminum they should handle the increased pressure. I am now on my second set of 10 ply tires and no problems at 80psi.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a thought , maybe the tire shop only put in 65# because the wheel is only rated for 65#. I don't know if the OEM wheel will handle 80# safely. ( ? )

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I had a similar experience when I got new Carlisle's last year. They were at 65, but the side wall said max @ 80. I towed it that way a while and after a few suggestions on these forums, this spring decided to go ahead and push it to 80 psi. So far, ... um ... I really can't tell any difference.