cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from Tent trailer to TT. Input on brands

mommo76
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to upgrade to a travel trailer from a tent trailer in August. Seeking input on brands. We want a bunkhouse model with an exterior kitchen, not big enough to sleep an army, but comfortable if it's pouring down rain and we want to escape inside with the grandkids. We've pretty much narrowed our choice down to a Outback Terrain or a Creekside. Any experiences or advice is welcome!
21 REPLIES 21

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
Comfortable seating in bad weather is extremely important along with a bathroom you can bathe and do your business in without being a contortionist.
Totally agree. Consider what would being inside for a couple of days of bad weather be like? What would make you comfortable?

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Need a bit more information as to what campsites do you like. For example, Sites on the perimeter of State Park campgrounds, Sites in the center of State Park campgrounds, or RV parks/Amusement Park campsites as KOA or Jelly Stone which cater to larger RVs with few trees and larger level pads.

I like Jayco Jay Flight Stick and Tin models, I wouldn't recommend any model with laminated Fiberglass.

I love our camper and find it the perfect model for our small family. Very roomy and tons of storage.

With a 3/4 ton truck, you can get the 26BHS model but it doesn't have a large sofa which is a downside IMO, and not sure if the TV has a swing arm to face the sofa or dinette, which can be bad with LED TVs limited viewing angle. Since the foot of the bed is right on the wall, make sure you can sleep comfortably as well. My feet overhang on our 26BH so the 26BHS bed wouldn't work for me. Plus slides are known to get leaks and can have mechanical issue with alignment and extending and retracting. It's also been recommended to get a slide cover/awning to keep sticks and debris off of the top of the slide, so that the rubber seal doesn't get torn when retracting back in.

Our 26BH has turned out to be some trouble getting into the outside perimeter tree covered State Park Campsites that we love. At some of the older campgrounds, we had to settle on crappy open, center sites since we couldn't fit into our 'reserved' campsites due to tree overhangs, ditches, or narrow service roads not wide enough to get our longer truck/trailer rig angled to get into the spot.

I really loved the pop up for the better sites we love. Once in awhile we get a good spot but we don't know how overgrown the site is or the limited ways to back in, until we get there. Pictures and dimensions of the pad/site have proven to fail us when we actually get there and see what the site is 'that day'.

Good luck.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
There might be previous posts on either one. Search this Forum for one or the other and read on.
Can the refer, sink and toilet be used at a Rest Stop without opening a slide, ie. can the water be turned on?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

mommo76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. Our tent trailer isn't so much outgrown as we've realized that living on the wet side of WA state, that it has serious limitations as to weather. We don't have a covered area large enough to set it up in to dry if we have to put it away wet due to rain. I love some of the features it has, mostly moving the stove and table outside to cook and the 360 degree air flow it gets.

Thanks for the input on the frames. The Creekside does seem to have better constuction and feels more solid. Of course, that also means more weight, but we have a Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6 speed Cummins Diesel engine and my husband says it can handle anything that we'll be able to back into the back yard.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Comfortable seating in bad weather is extremely important along with a bathroom you can bathe and do your business in without being a contortionist.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
When choosing the floorplan of an RV we use a couple of tests:

1. If on a trip and we have to hunker down inside the RV due to bad weather for a week to 3 weeks which floorplan would lessen the possibility of cabin fever. For example our current RV allows her to be in one area doing what she wants to do and I can be in another area doing what I want to do.

2. Avoid bottle neck areas. Our first RV had a spot in the kitchen where two people could not pass each other. So if one of us was cooking at the stove and the other had to use the bathroom in the rear of the TT, the cook had to move out of the way.

3. Storage- is there plenty of room for all the stuff she will want to bring...

The Lippert frame is a concern....other than that choose the RV that best fits your needs but don't go small. Get the biggest you can afford and your tow vehicle will handle. You've outgrown your tent trailer, the same thing will happen if you go for a small TT. We went from a 10ft Camper, to a 23ft TT to a 25ft MH to our current 38ft 5th wheel. Now we are looking at 40 to 42 footers.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Keystone is using Lippert frames, I think the Creekside uses the same frame as Northwood. I run RV tours down into Mexico, the land of Topes (speed bumps) I have seen more than one cracked Lippert frame. Enough to think they have an issue. Crawl under both choices and compare. What is under there is more important than the layout.