cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Use of Portable Holding Tanks

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
Just took delivery of a 32-gallon Tote-Along portable holding tank. We'll mainly use this at a state park campground we really like for grey water.

Anyone out there have any tips or tricks that could benefit us?

I plan to strap it to the front of the HTT resting it on the propane tanks. Any better ideas for hauling it?

Thanks much.
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD
17 REPLIES 17

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Soundguy wrote
Others may not agree but I'd never own another wheeled tote tank again, not when there are alternative solutions that are so much easier.

Lantley wrote:
While I can appreciate your set up. I don't see it as any easier than just using my 42 gallon tote. I have a macerator but I only use it if I have to. Macerater is just to slow for me and makes dumping more complicated than it needs to be.
YMMV

For sure, to each his / her own. ๐Ÿ™‚ I too have a macerator and never line up at a campground dumpstation, instead preferring to service my tanks at home. I can also use it to offload macerated black water while camping into my set of grey water Aquatainers if need be but with the trailer having a 30 gal BW tank that's rarely necessary. For me that then leaves grey water and since it's so easy to offload either by gravity or with a simple 12 vdc pump into inexpensive, lightweight, and easy to store Aquatainers I therefore have no reason at all to own an expensive, heavy, hard to store tote tank. As you say, YMMV. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Soundguy wrote
Others may not agree but I'd never own another wheeled tote tank again, not when there are alternative solutions that are so much easier.

While I can appreciate your set up. I don't see it as any easier than just using my 42 gallon tote. I have a macerator but I only use it if I have to. Macerater is just to slow for me and makes dumping more complicated than it needs to be.
YMMV
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:
Looks great, but I don't have a pickup truck...unfortunately.

No, but you do have a 4Runner in which you could probably stuff a few Aquatainers that each measure 12" x 12" x ~ 15" tall. Another advantage of course is that they all don't have to be stored in one spot but can be distributed wherever there may be space in the tow vehicle and the trailer. Since I do have a truck and the space to store up to 8 Aquatainers (4 fresh and 4 grey) that's usually what I do but if I sometimes want to store something else in the truck I can easily sit a few 'Tainers in the trailer shower, a couple under the bed ... I'm sure you could likewise come up with solutions that would work just as well for your situation. ๐Ÿ™‚

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
No doubt I'll be very much in the minority here but years ago I bought a 22 gal Tote 'n Store not realizing just how difficult it would be to drag when full of water over a soft ground surface such as sand to the truck, nor how difficult was to later clean thoroughly, and what a PITA it would be to store for travel. After just a couple of uses I sold it to another unsuspecting trailer owner and began using 7 gal Aquatainers labelled with red electrical tape to identify them for use for grey water only. That was years and several trailers ago and I still use this method to offload grey water while camping and while simple gravity will easily do the job I prefer to actually pump it as that means the Aquatainers can already be sitting in the back of the truck and I therefore don't have to lift anything. Pretty well any 12 vdc pump will do but I had a spare potable water pump hanging around in the workshop so that's what I'm using.

Offloading Grey Water with a Pump

I also carry a set of four 7 gal Aquatainers labelled with white electrical tape for collecting fresh water and likewise use another pump to transfer it to the trailer's FW holding tank. Carrying Aquatainers is easy as they each weigh almost nothing when empty and store particularly easily since they're cube shaped, FAR easier than having to fool with a heavy wheeled tote tank.

Aquatainer Storage

Others may not agree but I'd never own another wheeled tote tank again, not when there are alternative solutions that are so much easier. :B

Looks great, but I don't have a pickup truck...unfortunately.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt I'll be very much in the minority here but years ago I bought a 22 gal Tote 'n Store not realizing just how difficult it would be to drag when full of water over a soft ground surface such as sand to the truck, nor how difficult was to later clean thoroughly, and what a PITA it would be to store for travel. After just a couple of uses I sold it to another unsuspecting trailer owner and began using 7 gal Aquatainers labelled with red electrical tape to identify them for use for grey water only. That was years and several trailers ago and I still use this method to offload grey water while camping and while simple gravity will easily do the job I prefer to actually pump it as that means the Aquatainers can already be sitting in the back of the truck and I therefore don't have to lift anything. Pretty well any 12 vdc pump will do but I had a spare potable water pump hanging around in the workshop so that's what I'm using.

Offloading Grey Water with a Pump

I also carry a set of four 7 gal Aquatainers labelled with white electrical tape for collecting fresh water and likewise use another pump to transfer it to the trailer's FW holding tank. Carrying Aquatainers is easy as they each weigh almost nothing when empty and store particularly easily since they're cube shaped, FAR easier than having to fool with a heavy wheeled tote tank.

Aquatainer Storage

Others may not agree but I'd never own another wheeled tote tank again, not when there are alternative solutions that are so much easier. :B

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
Don't most state parks and national parks say it's OK to dump the grey tanks in the open (as long as they're the tanks from the shower and not the galley?

Don't know where you heard that!
no national parks do and neither do most state parks.

Some do have gray water dumps scattered throughout the campground.
But NEVER on the ground.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
Don't most state parks and national parks say it's OK to dump the grey tanks in the open (as long as they're the tanks from the shower and not the galley?

Not in Tennessee.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

Bendder
Explorer
Explorer
I have a tip for you.

ALWAYS open the vent on the tote when dumping your tanks into it, and make sure your hose is well attached.

Trust me when I say its a crappy way to start the day!! I will leave it at that.

I laugh at my rooky mistake now but then it was a different story.
Mark

2011 F150 SCrew Ecoboost max tow max payload
2013 Cougar High Country 329TSB

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:

Absolutely NOT in NY!
Some of our favorite cg's are "dry." My gray water solution is a 30-gallon surplus plastic drum ($10) mounted in the truck bed. Transfer was via a Harbor Freight 12V marine pump but last year I upgraded to a NIB macerator pump I found on Craigslist. Dumping is through an 1-1/2" sump pump discharge hose controlled by a RV gray water dump valve.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I carried mine on the rear ladder on my old fiver and still trying to find a local on our new one. Just remeber it will weigh over 100 lbs full so try to get where you can easily hitch your TV up to it.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I modified a bike rack to carry mine on the back bumper. Works well.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Handye9, here is the pic you were trying to post.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
The one I purchased is supposed to have the four wheels with the drain line coming off the side. I guess I'll know for sure once I get home and unpack it.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab