cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Used camper purchase, possible roof issue - please advise

blitzn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking to buy a used travel trailer and I'm looking at one in particular. While inspecting the trailer, my wife and I noticed some damage on the roof where the front of the trailer meets the roof.

I'm not sure what to make of it and was wondering if anyone has any advice or opinion about what may have caused the damage and how serious it might be. The sealant job at the seam looks methodical to me and like something that would come from the factory, but I'm not sure why the bar was lifted up and bent the way it was. A local RV dealer told us he thought it was definitely a repair and would stay away from it.

I recently looked at another trailer and was checking out the roof at the front seam, and saw similar workmanship on the seal, so it makes me wonder about the other trailer with the issue.

Thanks in advance for any good advice.
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the trailer is kept in indoor storage. That roof looks real clean! That damage also looks as if it was just recent. Have you asked the owner about it? I would look for signs of water damage along the inside corner and floor. You would see some discoloration and possible softness on the wall. It may just be a bad install! As far as the sealant job goes, that looks factory!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Joyce_in_NY
Explorer
Explorer
I would be very leery of purchasing this trailer. Depending how long the roof leaked before the repair, there could be mold inside the walls without there being any visible sign on the inside.
Cardinal 33TSLE

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if a private seller? ask what has been done.dealer won,t no and won,t tell if he did, buy a moisture meter and go over the area. or have it inspected by a rv guy. use it to lower the price. remember if a dealer? they,ll say any thing to make a sale.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with RUN! Some kind of impact damage must have occurred and if water was in there or gets in after you buy, you are doomed! There are too many nice used ones with no damage like that one. Don't go down that sad road!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
run away.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
My question is what kind of a fool tries to sell and RV with a roof that looks like that? Fix it, glue it, do something.

Likely best to find another unit but it may not even be a huge deal to fix. Again, why would someone try to sell a unit with a big cloud over it like that?

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
I should also mention that the leak did not show up in the interior, as the water entered at the roof/cap corner and followed a stud down inside the wall. Water exited on outside at the floor between the siding and flooring. Leak was caused by a miter cut of the roofing material that exposed the OSB at the corner just under the molding strip. I bought the 3 YO trailer used, so no warranties. The strip popped up after several extended trips.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
I would keep looking. There are a lot of campers out there for sale.

wlstroud
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that the roof deck has gotten wet and soft and the molding strip screws have nothing to bite into. Thus they pull out due to tension on the molding. I was able to carefully remove the molding/caulk; peel back the roof material and replace the back decking on my TT when this happened to me. If you're handy with tools, it's not too bad a job, though somewhat tedious to get everything re-caulked and water-tight.
Larry (WB4WSA) and Sheila
2006 Ford F350, CC, XLT Dually 6.0 PSD
2006 Keystone Copper Canyon 339FWTSLS FW
2017 Flagstaff Microlite 25KS TT

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless the price is just too good to pass up, run away from this unit. There are just too many choices out there to take a chance on a leaking roof. Once the roof leaks, repairing the roof is reasonably easy, but repairing the leak damage is very difficult and expensive. It just isn't worth it. Keep looking.
Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

penguin149
Explorer
Explorer
Don't just look at the ceiling on the inside for signs of damage. Check places that any water might run to....wet flooring, underbelly, changes in direction of the wall, etc. Water finds many ways to get inside and around!
2021 Nissan Titan Pro-4X 5.6L V8 4WD - 2019 Keystone Bullet 243BHS

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me I would move on and look for a different camper. Something caused the metal trim to pull up, either an impact, or the wood underneath is water damaged and the screws that normally hold the trim down have pulled out. It also looks like there is a gap where the side wall trim meets the roof membrane ... I would be concerned that there is some level of water entry and existing water damage.

blitzn
Explorer
Explorer
All, my apologies for the images not showing up properly. I was actually surprised this forum doesn't allow uploading images. I posted them somewhere and they should be visible now. Thanks again for any advice.

For the camper in question, there did not seem to be any water damage or issues anywhere in or on the camper... odd one.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
blitzn wrote:
A local RV dealer told us he thought it was definitely a repair and would stay away from it.

Good advice.... maybe, or perhaps the local dealer would like to sell you one of their units.

That being said, if the floor plan and price fits your needs then yes it should be considered. Go into the unit and check all of the wall, ceiling, floor, and even inside the cabinets for any sign of water damage/intrusion. "Listen" to your nose, if there is a musty/moldy smell then it could mean water got in. However, in the end, it is you who will need to decide. Were it me, I think I'd pass and keep looking.
Times fun when you're having flies!