cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a drill to lift your popup

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
So recently I bought one of those special sockets to adapt to a 3/8" drill extension for lifting my popup, because I'm getting lazy. After lifting the popup 2 times my drill burned out. I'm stumped. I used a Craftsman 6 amp big ass drill. It lifted the trailer fine, but when I went to lower it it was dead as can be.

What are some of you using to lift your popups?
Thanks,
Dave
www.photographersnature.com
2006 Jeep Wrangler Umilimited, 2008 Fleetwood Westlake
16 REPLIES 16

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
Funny my 20V impact wouldn't work but the 20V Porter Cable drill does work fine. Just need to make sure not to over heat it.
Thanks,
Dave

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
I used an 18V Dewalt for years, on the low gear, and it worked great.

Another reason to not use an impact driver is that they are very noise & won't win you any friends in the campground.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

tooldad1041
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have the slide in truck bed camper. It came with a drill adapter. My advice, use a drill on low setting only. I used the impact first few times and sheared a pin inside the lifting jack.

My 18v dewalt, more on the pro end, did the job.

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, just had to deal with this yesterday. My I tried my DeWalt 20V impact drill, no go. So then I just tried the 20V drill, that was the key, worked like a charm!
Thanks,
Dave

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Coleman Americana I raised and lowered it with an 18v DeWalt. Never had an issue. I use the same drill today on my TT stabilizers.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

cythraul
Explorer
Explorer
I don't use a drill. I use child-labour.

My kids loves handling the stabilizers. They still fatigue half-way cranking the top up tho. 😉

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
By the way, do NOT use the impact driver setting when raising the roof or deploying the stabilizer jacks. Others have relayed lift system issues attributed to the pounding of the gear mechanisms from impact drivers. It may be completely an urban myth but I'm not going to find out personally.

I have a 19.2v Craftsman hammer drill (set to "drill" mode only) on the low speed setting and it powers through anything I've thrown at it.

Not only does it raise the roof which requires a fair amount of power, it raises the BAL light trailer leveler which requires a good bit more power than raising the roof. I also use it to deploy the stabilizers and raise/lower the modified tongue jack. It does this two to three full trips before the LiIon battery needing recharging. I carry a second battery, of course, but have never had to use it.

Keep everything well lubed and you should get years of service from a quality drill in this situation.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you lifting your trailer with the stabilizing jacks?? If so, you are binding the jacks as they are not intended to lift it off the suspension or ground!! You should only run them down to "STABILIZE" with just enough pressure to steady the trailer, not to take any weight of any kind. If in deed you are lifting the trailer with them, you are definitely asking for a disaster. If you get too much weight on the jacks, it will be difficult if not impossible for your drill to get the screw turning once loaded.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we had our pup. Viking required a 24 Volt DeWalt drill to raise the roof. It has 450 Inch pounds of torque. It would raise the roof, and drop the stabs twice on one charge.
I bought it 13 years ago. It is now on it's third battery, and will IF I let it. Raise the TT off the ground.

So just to remind. A cheap drill ain't gonna do it. You need at least a 18 volt high torque drill. More power the better.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalRailFan wrote:
Dewalt shows that as having a 1/4" connector too, how do you use that?

rwbradley wrote:
Get a Cordless Impact driver. It looks just like a cordless drill but it has way more torque. I got a Dewalt DCF885B for a little over $100. It is really small so it is easy to stow but has serious power compared to a drill.

Check out the DW254IR. You can buy it separate or in many bit sets. I believe I already had it in my Milwaukee bit set.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
Dewalt shows that as having a 1/4" connector too, how do you use that?

rwbradley wrote:
Get a Cordless Impact driver. It looks just like a cordless drill but it has way more torque. I got a Dewalt DCF885B for a little over $100. It is really small so it is easy to stow but has serious power compared to a drill.
Thanks,
Dave

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Porter Cable pcc641, but I'm having a hard time finding it's specs, weird. Then the just is only like a 1/4 thing.
Thanks,
Dave

SoCalRailFan
Explorer
Explorer
Let me check, I just bought a cordless drill and it came with a impact driver. Let me find it and reply with what it is to see if it's good enough or not.
Thanks,
Dave

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com