cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TC Generator to Charge Boat Batteries?

MTBob
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 17ft Lund fishing boat with my NL camper. On the back of the camper I have mounted a Honda 2000 generator that I typically use to charge my camper batteries.
In my boat I have a 3 bank charger that can charge 2 12v trolling motor batteries (plus the engine cranking batteries). The charger has a 15 amp capacity for each battery.
As I travel from one place to another to fish, I'm considering plugging in my boat battery charger to the Honda generator and - while driving to the next fishing location - running the generator to charge the boat batteries. To accomplish this I'd run an extension cord from the generator mounted on the back of the camper to the battery charger that's mounted in the boat.
Is there is anything wrong with running the generator to charge the boat batteries while driving down the road?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Bob
2002 10-2000RR Northern Lite
2008 Chevy 3500 DMAX, SRW,
2001 Lund 1700 Fisherman
5 REPLIES 5

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could also probably run a 12VDC CHARGE line from you Alternator Charge System to your batteries... You obviously have 12VDC safety lights on your pulled trailer already... Probably can't get a whole lot of DC Current going that far away but a long term trickle charge when in travel mode will go a long way keeping the batteries topped off...

I personally hate to run things like the generator when in travel mode in a situation like this where I don't have much control on how things are working from way up front in the drivers seat. Strange things always come up for me haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If your generator is securely fastened, and has enough ventilation, there's no reason to not run it while driving.
Many, if not most, motor home owners run the generator while driving.

rlb8s
Explorer
Explorer
I charged my BassCat batteries with my Class B generator with no issues after Smallwood State Park shut down from storm damage and I would overnight at Walmart. It worked out great.
12 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity - named E-Pod
05 GMC 3500 SRW Crew Cab LB
10 Bass Cat Puma w/ 250 Mercury ProXS

Previous RVs -
14 Livin Lite 8.6
13 Pleasure-Way Lexor TS Class B
13 Tioga Montara 25K Class C
09 Lance 915 Truck Camper

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Don't see why not. I'd be more concerned with the extenion cord running back to your boat.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.