cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Utility/Support Trailer Builds (Pictures added)

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
I give up. I have searched Utility trailers, cargo trailers, trailer builds and who knows what else and cannot what I am looking for.

There have been a couple of threads here in the truck camper forum about small trailers being built. Like the one PHOTOMIKE is pulling or the one like Jefe 4X4's.

I am in the process of refurbishing an old trailer for a support trailer while on the beach. I have installed a new axle and springs and am ready to start getting the new wood for the floor and sides. I would like to look at these build threads to see if I am missing anything or maybe a different idea. As for rust issues, OSPHO at the local hardware is what all of the oilfield offshore people use.

Since I posted this I guess I am going to have to post some pictures of this thing.

Thanks to all for your help.
Cliff
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug
20 REPLIES 20

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
fatmanobx wrote:
xxxx

?????????
Bob

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
xxxx
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve been fiddling with my trailer for a couple of years . Its basically ready. Painted. Grit on the ramp for traction. All tiedowns and straps ready. Theres a 12 watt solar panel, a metal cabinet that holds an agm house battery, alarm brain with all doors wired and a motion sensor with a remote notification device, a separate battery wired led interior light, vent with fan. The 2 kyaks are strapped to the wall on hangers. Theres mounts for 2 bycycles in the front, a third would be easy to add. Motorcycle in the center. Its been a slow deliberate project. Now I just need the time to take it out ?

-Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
Built this one a few years ago.

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC DRW auto
2008 AF 990
FS bags
Viair OBA
Rancho 9000XL's

Steelhog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not convinced that going small is required. Last summer I made a run from Rocket City(HSV), Alabama to Road America, Wisconsin with my 16 tandem axle enclosed trailer behind my F250PSD with 845 Lance Lite. I maybe was down 1/2 to 1 mpg over TC solo. I didn't set any speed records but paced traffic well enough. (GVW police need not comment,I know!!)I figure the trailer was "drafting" and the slight step down from TC to trailer in height made a better transition for the airflow. Got worse mileage on a trip to Sturgis sans TC so the trailer/TC combo may be synergistic. I'm seeing more semi's with an aero package (skirts and tapered false rear doors) so the extra length may not be a big issue if you can "taper" the drag.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Here's two quick exterior pics. I've added a battery to the tongue and an electric jack since these were taken.
Currently Between RVs

garryk6
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my home made trailer. Holds two ATV's well. Contemplating stretching it a bit to fit three...

Here is the underside shot at dawn of my home build from scrap trailer.
Old boat trailer axle with new hubs and bearings, Dodge 1/2 ton truck front leaf springs, Ford F150 front Coils, tongue and tail-light panel are a scrapped commercial kids jungle-gym main beam. Deck is a former C-130 loading platform that has built in tie-downs. I "z-ed" the tongue to match the deck-over height and still match my hitch. Top of flat bed seems high, but is the same height as my F350 bed...

Makes a nice table when unloaded and disconnected from the truck.

Trailer is 7' wide and 9' long on the bed.

Rides well and handles two bikes well. I may have to beef the springs or insert air-bags in the coils to keep it from bottoming if I add a third bike... We have three bikes, but only take two if camping. If we are just going riding the camper comes out, and the third bike rides in the bed of the truck.

I like to scrounge and re-cycle stuff, so even the rims and tires were left-overs from a junked jeep. The only new items that i purchased was two pieces of 2x2 angle iron, the coupler, jack and tail-lights. And a kit of bed-liner roll-on non-skid.

Garry in Kodiak, AK
Garry K
Wife + 4 kids
Retired Military Family.... Alway's on the move....
2002 F350 CCSB 5.4 6spd 4x4 in AK
1966 Avion C-10 Truck Camper

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
DougE wrote:
Here's the interior of my just completed 6x10 V-nose

Do you have any exterior pictures?
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
My first trailer was a 6x10. I had it for 17 years.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the interior of my just completed 6x10 V-nose with A/C, 12v power, sofa/bed, TV and shelving. I will be trying it out soon and seeing if more mods are necessary.
Click For Full-Size Photo.
Currently Between RVs

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I lean more towards the red cargo trailer in the background.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Interior of my 6x12:

I kept this cabinet from the 6x10 I replaced with the 6x12:

SALTYDOG5435S-T
Explorer
Explorer
Here is what my trailer looked like to start:

This is what I am thinking about:

I am not going to get into to much detail because this is a trailer not a TC. Thanks again to PHOTOMIKE for his links. It gives me something to look at. I will probable end up with something like Jefe 4X4's Bradley.

Thanks for looking
Cliff
2002 F350 4X4 Crew Cab Longbed SRW
2003 Lance 845
USMC 70-74
#1 fishing partner since 1981: My Ladybug

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I cleaned up my bookmarks a couple weeks ago and removed a lot that I had but here are some from http://www.expeditionportal.com

Not sure they are all applicable, still looking for a couple really good ones that I had bookmarked years ago. Most will have tents or camping ability but easy to modify to your needs.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59233-All-purpose-everything-trailer-build

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/69673-WOOD-vs-METAL-Trailer-Wall-Construction

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/61446-As-promised-%28in-another-thread%29-My-300-trail...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/52549-Collection-of-Trailer-Builds

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/18142-Offroad-Teardrop-SawTooth-XL
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks