cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V10 or 7.3 power vs tundra 5.7

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
So I've known for a long time that I'm riding heavy. I'm now in a better position to try and correct this. I currently have an 08 tundra 5.7 pullin a Dutchman rubicon 1905TH. (19' box, 25' tounge to bumper) Factory weight just around 5800 lbs so some where around 7-8k lbs. (Our toys are 2 bikes or 2 kayaks, no atvs). Factory tounge weight of 810lbs? So realistically actual tounge weight of 1k. We live in denver and our trips consist of just on the other side of the Eisenhower with a few 3-4 hr extended weekend trips into the mountains.
I'm considering an early 2000s v10 or 7.3 for their durability and longevity. But after looking in to the the power on the v10 and 7.3, they are not that much better and I would be dropping from a 6speed to a 4.
My tundra pulls the trailer ok up the the "Ike challenge course". Most of it I put it into 2nd gear, hold 4-4.2k rpm which yields 45mph.
How would the v10 or 7.3 compare in performance.
Keep in mind, I know the truck handling and suspension will be better in a 250/350 I'm more concerned with pulling.
51 REPLIES 51

coruss
Explorer
Explorer
Well I have no experience with the toyota, but I have an '01 f250 7.3 and tow a 9-10k travel trail + 1000lbs in the bed of the truck from Denver over the passes at least once a month.

Payload is not an issue for the truck. It is very stable with no sway bar and a basic WD hitch.

As to speed I can pull all the passes well and at the very steepest spots maintain 50-55. Mine is modded pretty good from stock though (with 35in tires, which hurt)

I think in order to be happy with the power of a 99+ 7.3 you will need to do a few mods including 4in exhaust, intake, gauges, 6.0 tranny cooler and a chip. I would plan on adding $800-1000 to a stock truck to get the performance you want. If you do that it would probably out perform the toyota, but stock I dont see it......A better towing platform by far, but when looking at stock I dont see you getting any more power over what you have now.

Also regarding people talking about HP and a tuner. For towing in the high mountain passes the biggest tune you will be able to run and keep EGTs in check will be a 40hp, maybe 60. Anything else is not worth comparing because the EGTs will be through the roof.

BTW 7.3 prices in denver are pretty high, especially for crew cab trucks. I looked for a long while before I found a good one.

Good luck.

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
@LowRyter No were really happy with this truck. I just want more tow vehicle in front of me when towing. I don't sweat the up hills, I worry about if a tire were to blow, or if anything else were to happen, how would the truck handle it. N-Trouble is on the same page with me. The reason for the original question is the lower HPs on early 2000 vehicles are very unimpressive compared to today's standards. Although I have enough power now, with my towing circumstances I don't feel I can afford (not monetarily) to loose any HP. Excluding the merits of the lower HP 7.3 motor with a turbo at altitude.

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, owned 14 Dodge vehicles over the years not biased in my opinion about them. Would I prefer a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins over a 6.0 or 6.4 PSD? Absolutely!

Is a 5.9 a good motor? Yes, but like any motor it can have problems. 10 years ago asked a service guy at a Cummins/IH repair shop what was better a 5.9 or 7.3. He thought about it and said, 5.9's you got injector pumps and 7.3's you got rusty oil pans.
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
For what it's worth my wife's Aunt and Uncle owned a 97 PSD and 01 Cummins. Both trucks were stock and both configured the same. Pulling trailers in the mountain the PSD walked all over the Cummins.

You expect us to believe that a 225/425 non-intercooled Powerstroke will "walk all over" a 235/460 Cummins? Was the Cummins running on 3 cylinders or what? :R

Yes, this is what the owner of the cummins and the owner of the powerstroke told me (husband & wife at the time).

We can get into 53 blocks, injector pumps, lift pumps and auto trannies but don't want to clutter this page...
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
12thgenusa wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Yes, I was exaggerating... a little bit...if the Toyota is rated at 300hp, it's probably down to around 160-170hp near the peak and you will notice it.

381 hp at sea level is 255 hp at 11,000 ft. The Tundra 5.7 is certainly not lacking in power up to and beyond its payload and towing ratings, even at extreme elevation.

Pulling a little 20' trailer, this is all academic. You could pick your favorite flavor of 1/2 ton with the base V6 and it will make it to the top. This is about perception more than anything and you will percieve a major loss of power with any NA engine.

Mash your foot down and burn the extra fuel and he should be able to keep up with the cars with the current truck. While it shouldn't hurt the engine to do it occasionally, winding it up to 4000-5000rpm under heavy load is a bit disconcerting. Personally, I prefer to just get in line with the semi's and go at a more sedate speed.

Its a Toyhauler, so not what I would call academic. V6 through the Rockies good luck... My last TH was identical in size and fully loaded probably close to 8K lbs. Towing through the Sierra Nevadas (lower elevation than OP) with my brothers 2012 GMC half ton you had to much more on your toes than towing with my 3/4 ton.

I can definitely see where the OP is coming from in wanting to move to a 3/4. I don't think its all about getting up the hill faster but could be wrong.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
are you unhappy with Toyota?
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
For what it's worth my wife's Aunt and Uncle owned a 97 PSD and 01 Cummins. Both trucks were stock and both configured the same. Pulling trailers in the mountain the PSD walked all over the Cummins.

You expect us to believe that a 225/425 non-intercooled Powerstroke will "walk all over" a 235/460 Cummins? Was the Cummins running on 3 cylinders or what? :R

I have a bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale! :R

I have an old friend that had 96 F250 7.3 Power Stroke and he would spank all the Dodge cummins trucks and the Chevy 6.5 TD trucks back in the 90's.

As a matter of fact he still has that truck parked in his shop he loved it so much. :B

BTW... You might be interested who got is a$$ handed to him driving a 97 2500 6.5TD! :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Save up a few more pennies and pick up an early 200x Duramax or 5.9 Cummins. I don't think you would be to happy with either of your two current choices.

X2!!!!

If you are considering diesel look at all three, you can find a Dmax or Cummins in newer years that will knock your socks off.

why people think Ford is the only way to go is crazy.
Loyal Ford owner for 43 years, I chose to go with the Ram/Cummins for a Diesel. Never looked back.
Yes my Cummins has 280,000+ miles and is still towing strong, that is the beauty of a diesel.

I thought the same so we gave a 5.9 cummins RAM a try for our farm/ranch use. After constant phone calls of needing to foot the bill for a repair I finally decided to cut my losses and purchase another 7.3 PSD Super Duty. And this is from a long time GM owner.

BTW... My wallet is a witness to the above. :M

Fish your crappy money pit Cummins story is getting old. Not all are good, but you Likely bought someone's beat up truck!

He lives in an alternate universe. He has to. You know; where down is up and up is down. He has to, to state a 6.0 or 6.4 are better engines than a Cummins. :B

I did not purchase someone's beat up truck. It had 3 injectors replaced and a rear end seal replaced before we purchased it. It was an older couple that traded it in because the gentleman was having some difficulty with the manual tranny. It has been replaced with a 7.3 PSD Super Duty for a year now and I've yet to received a phone call needing to approve a repair.

In addition I've never recommended to anyone to purchase a 6.0 or a 6.4 PSD. I've only shared our experience with my 05 and my BIL 04 trucks that gave us really good service.

Sorry you don't the outcome here so you can prance your little stories, but it is what it is. :W
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Pulling a little 20' trailer, this is all academic. You could pick your favorite flavor of 1/2 ton with the base V6 and it will make it to the top. This is about perception more than anything and you will percieve a major loss of power with any NA engine.

Mash your foot down and burn the extra fuel and he should be able to keep up with the cars with the current truck. While it shouldn't hurt the engine to do it occasionally, winding it up to 4000-5000rpm under heavy load is a bit disconcerting. Personally, I prefer to just get in line with the semi's and go at a more sedate speed.

Well put.

I believe the Tundra has an electric fan, not a pulley driven fan. Either way... I highly doubt it takes 20 hp to turn a fan.

Highly doubt it or not, it's true; unless you disagree with Cat engineers.

Even my little toy Dmax fan takes 25 to 30 HP to spin when fully locked up.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
12thgenusa wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Yes, I was exaggerating... a little bit...if the Toyota is rated at 300hp, it's probably down to around 160-170hp near the peak and you will notice it.

381 hp at sea level is 255 hp at 11,000 ft. The Tundra 5.7 is certainly not lacking in power up to and beyond its payload and towing ratings, even at extreme elevation.

To a knowledgable driver, 4k rpm isn't disconcerting at all and is certainly not damaging anything. What I find disconcerting is driving through the black smoke cloud when I pass the oil burners on the way to the top.

25 mph behind the trucks, really?

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

Well put.

I believe the Tundra has an electric fan, not a pulley driven fan. Either way... I highly doubt it takes 20 hp to turn a fan.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
12thgenusa wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I have a bridge in Brooklyn that is for sale! :R
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln