cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V10 or 7.3 power vs tundra 5.7

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
So I've known for a long time that I'm riding heavy. I'm now in a better position to try and correct this. I currently have an 08 tundra 5.7 pullin a Dutchman rubicon 1905TH. (19' box, 25' tounge to bumper) Factory weight just around 5800 lbs so some where around 7-8k lbs. (Our toys are 2 bikes or 2 kayaks, no atvs). Factory tounge weight of 810lbs? So realistically actual tounge weight of 1k. We live in denver and our trips consist of just on the other side of the Eisenhower with a few 3-4 hr extended weekend trips into the mountains.
I'm considering an early 2000s v10 or 7.3 for their durability and longevity. But after looking in to the the power on the v10 and 7.3, they are not that much better and I would be dropping from a 6speed to a 4.
My tundra pulls the trailer ok up the the "Ike challenge course". Most of it I put it into 2nd gear, hold 4-4.2k rpm which yields 45mph.
How would the v10 or 7.3 compare in performance.
Keep in mind, I know the truck handling and suspension will be better in a 250/350 I'm more concerned with pulling.
51 REPLIES 51

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Dragging 6K lbs up that hill with a 7.3 and you can pick whatever speed you want. My 7.3 chipped with a 68 HP chip and 11K lb 5er and I can do it at 50 to 55 in 3rd, its working it hard pulling 22 to 24 lbs boost
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
12thgenusa wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Yes, I was exaggerating... a little bit...if the Toyota is rated at 300hp, it's probably down to around 160-170hp near the peak and you will notice it.

381 hp at sea level is 255 hp at 11,000 ft. The Tundra 5.7 is certainly not lacking in power up to and beyond its payload and towing ratings, even at extreme elevation.

A stock 7.3 will make about 235 hp at any altitude because of the turbo.

Now add just a $375 PHP Hydra tuner chip with 16 different tunes and let's say use the 80 hp tune.......

You end up with 315 hp and 650 tq.

With the toyo you have stock 381 hp and 401 tq.
At altitude, 255 hp and 268 tq.

BTW it is important to me to go up a big nasty hill at speed.
I don't want to go up a 65 mph hill at 35-40 mph while holding everyone up, not to mention at speed you have plenty of airflow for your Trans cooler, radiator , intercooler, and AC. When you just creep up the hill, your torque converter will unlock in 2nd gear and heat up the trans, and your fan (if mechanical) will kick on dragging another 20-35 hp to keep everything cool enough due to low speed.

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Yes, I was exaggerating... a little bit...if the Toyota is rated at 300hp, it's probably down to around 160-170hp near the peak and you will notice it.

381 hp at sea level is 255 hp at 11,000 ft. The Tundra 5.7 is certainly not lacking in power up to and beyond its payload and towing ratings, even at extreme elevation.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kevin O. wrote:
Can't we all just get along??!! As long as it has 8 lugs and no plugs it's all good!!!:B

That`s actually pretty good! although we all know that more cylinders and RPM are where it`s really at!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
Can't we all just get along??!! As long as it has 8 lugs and no plugs it's all good!!!:B
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
John & Angela wrote:
Powerdude wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Isn't the top of that pass around 11,000ft. With a naturally aspirated engine you lose something like 3-4% per 1000ft above sea level, so your current truck is probably putting out the power of a smart car near the top..

Now that's some funny stuff. :B

SmartCar 2014 is 70 hp.

The gassers are 70 HP. My diesel smart car is 44 HP. More torque though. 🙂

On a side note, I had one of the pre-turbo 7.3's and while I never worried if I would make it to the top, it was often slow. Crossing the pass in question (not towing) I was peaking at around 50mph. Of course it was only rated at 180hp, so I probably had around 100hp trying to pull better than 6000lbs up a good grade.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Save up a few more pennies and pick up an early 200x Duramax or 5.9 Cummins. I don't think you would be to happy with either of your two current choices.

X2!!!!

If you are considering diesel look at all three, you can find a Dmax or Cummins in newer years that will knock your socks off.

why people think Ford is the only way to go is crazy.
Loyal Ford owner for 43 years, I chose to go with the Ram/Cummins for a Diesel. Never looked back.
Yes my Cummins has 280,000+ miles and is still towing strong, that is the beauty of a diesel.

I thought the same so we gave a 5.9 cummins RAM a try for our farm/ranch use. After constant phone calls of needing to foot the bill for a repair I finally decided to cut my losses and purchase another 7.3 PSD Super Duty. And this is from a long time GM owner.

BTW... My wallet is a witness to the above. :M

Fish your crappy money pit Cummins story is getting old. Not all are good, but you Likely bought someone's beat up truck!

He lives in an alternate universe. He has to. You know; where down is up and up is down. He has to, to state a 6.0 or 6.4 are better engines than a Cummins. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
N-Trouble wrote:
Save up a few more pennies and pick up an early 200x Duramax or 5.9 Cummins. I don't think you would be to happy with either of your two current choices.

X2!!!!

If you are considering diesel look at all three, you can find a Dmax or Cummins in newer years that will knock your socks off.

why people think Ford is the only way to go is crazy.
Loyal Ford owner for 43 years, I chose to go with the Ram/Cummins for a Diesel. Never looked back.
Yes my Cummins has 280,000+ miles and is still towing strong, that is the beauty of a diesel.

I thought the same so we gave a 5.9 cummins RAM a try for our farm/ranch use. After constant phone calls of needing to foot the bill for a repair I finally decided to cut my losses and purchase another 7.3 PSD Super Duty. And this is from a long time GM owner.

BTW... My wallet is a witness to the above. :M

Fish your crappy money pit Cummins story is getting old. Not all are good, but you Likely bought someone's beat up truck!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

dougger222
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth my wife's Aunt and Uncle owned a 97 PSD and 01 Cummins. Both trucks were stock and both configured the same. Pulling trailers in the mountain the PSD walked all over the Cummins. The Ram did a front flip which ended it's life and the PSD got traded off with a tad over 300K miles. They owned both trucks at the same time.

The V10 would work but it's a gas guzzler like many others have mentioned. The 7.3 PSD would be a great option but you will compromise ride quality compared to your toyota. You can find decent V10's for fairly cheap while you will pay good money for nice 7.3's.

Best advice find a dealership that has a V10 and a 7.3 and take them for a test drive. Keeping a 7.3 on the road will cost more than a V10 but the trade off is fuel mileage and pulling power.

Yes, the 4R100 trannies behind the 7.3's are not the greatest but some are better than others. For example the 340K mile F250 is on it's third tranny while the 02 Excursion is on it's original tranny and works great. 00 X with 270K miles original tranny, dually made it to 245K hard miles on it's original tranny, burnt up at land fill.
00,02,03 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3 PSD'S
1999 F350 lariat crew cab 4x4 DRW PSD
1999 F250 xlt 4x4 x-cab PSD
1965 Mustang 289
1969 GTO 400 4sp
2000 BMW 328CI
Trailers-04/09 PJ 15K dump, 04 H&H 20ft tilt, 98 Haulmark 7x14, 07 Dreamshak 20ft hydraulic fish house

Tystevens
Explorer
Explorer
IMO, a 7.3 w/ a 4-spd auto and 235 hp isn't going to provide much of a performance upgrade over your current 5.7/6 spd. I've driven a 2000 7.3 towing about 10k of gravel, and I was honestly far from impressed. Keep in mind that the 4 spd auto behind the 7.3 isn't known for its durability, either.

The mid-2000's Duramax will have a 5 or 6 spd transmission, with a good power advantage over the 7.3. Combined w/ the great Allison transmission, power, and good history for reliability, the Duramax is the diesel powertrain I'd prefer from the early and mid-2000's. The 5.9 Cummins only has a 4 spd auto, but also has a good power advantage over the 7.3. Regardless of the badge on the front, the Duramax and Cummins will provide a noticeable improvement over what you've got.

One final note -- an F150 Ecoboost w/ the HD Payload should have enough capacity to tow your trailer well, and the twin-turbo engine won't lose power at elevation. The payload ratings and towing ratings are going to match up pretty well with an early 2000's 3/4 ton. Honestly, with the trailer you've got, that would be on my list.
2008 Hornet Hideout 27B
2010 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT, Z71 package, 5.3/6A/3.42
2015 Ford F150 XLT Supercrew, 2.7 Ecoboost/6A/3.55 LS

Prior TVs:
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost 3.5
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax LBZ
2005 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 LT, 5.3/4A/4.10

woody0331
Explorer
Explorer
I'm good with the power I have. I just don't want to have less in my next truck. I would like to have a little more truck in front of my TH in case something ever went wrong and the TH got real squirrelly.
This thread has really opened my eyes on a few things. Early 2000 3/4 tons really didn't have much payload nor HP. And it pains me to admit this, but I did quick search on duramax trucks. (Yes I'm a GM hater). I had already been lightly looking at the dodges.
DW and I might have to rethink our vehicle goals.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Put a TRD supercharger on the Tundra and let er eat!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
My V10 does a great job towing my 34 ft TT nearly as well as the 7.3 that I had. My son has the Tundra 2012 that he tows a BIG BOAT with and it does a great job also. I have had 3 RVs and p/ups with the V 10s. I love them
samsontdog:o:W

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The turbo'd diesel won't lose power with altitude like the naturally aspirated Tundra will so they don't really compare.

If you're happy otherwise with the Tundra you could add a factory TRD supercharger. Bumps power to 504hp and 550ft/lbs torque and will keep the power up at elevation. Not cheap but will be factory warranted. It may still be cheaper than selling and finding an older used truck with unforseen problems.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley