cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vibration feels like tire weight

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
After about 2000 miles on this trip I'm running down the road at about 67 or so, and suddenly there is a vibration that feels like I threw a tire weight in the front. At first I thought it was just the highway, but after many miles of different road conditions it is still there. It happens between 67 and 70 or a little higher. I checked the wheels for shiny spots where weights might have been... nothing missing.

I checked Ram web sites and found quite a few articles from other Ram owners... of course, lots of parts replaced, no resolution.

My question: Has anyone had the same experience?

If you've had a similar experience... how did you fix the problem?

I will get it out on the highway tomorrow without the fiver and see if it does the same without my 17,000 or so lbs. of enjoyment dragging behind.

2015 Ram, dually. 4x4
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually
34 REPLIES 34

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Lar's wrote:
Followup: It turned out to be tire seperation, not the RF that I spent an hour changing, but the left front. It was so well conceiled and so general of a bounce that I couldn't pick out the problem... my bad. I've never had a tire seperate. So, changed out all tires as I was concerned that if one went, the Nexen's might all go... probably another mistake on my part, but done nonetheless.

Called it. Glad it was an easy fix. Those tires are junk.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Was going with Michelin's because of the FMCA program on tires, but after much talk with the owner of Firebird Tire in Phoenix I put Firestone's on. Don't know but Bridgestone and Firestone seem to be right up there with some of the Japanese makes which also have good reputations.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lar's wrote:
Followup: It turned out to be tire seperation, not the RF that I spent an hour changing, but the left front. It was so well conceiled and so general of a bounce that I couldn't pick out the problem... my bad. I've never had a tire seperate. So, changed out all tires as I was concerned that if one went, the Nexen's might all go... probably another mistake on my part, but done nonetheless.

Glad it was a simple fix, what did you replace the Nexen’s with?
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Oh were a fix that easy.

Thx for the info
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I had an F250 with front vibration, tire shop tightened wheel bearings, vibration gone.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Lar's wrote:
OK, so I have the same vibration even after putting the spare on the front. Now Ram service "thinks" its one of the tires, or more. Tire dealers say I've about fulfilled the life of those Nexen's at 27K.

Thinking of just biting the bullet and switching to Michelins. Any suggestions on tires?

You done good. My Nexxens blew belts in 3 tires in 1 trip with 20k.

Toyo or Nito tires.

Michelins are not as good as they once were.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so I have the same vibration even after putting the spare on the front. Now Ram service "thinks" its one of the tires, or more. Tire dealers say I've about fulfilled the life of those Nexen's at 27K.

Thinking of just biting the bullet and switching to Michelins. Any suggestions on tires?
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Well, after going through all the trouble of putting the spare on just in case the RF tire wanted to blow, the vibration is still there.... felt like 170 pages of miles to my current destination. I'll be in touch with dealership tomorrow to see what they have for recommendations.

Thx for all your help
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Common problem....

There's a 170 page thread at the cumminsforum on this topic. You may want to spend some time reading as some solutions have been posted.

Good luck....

Highway Vibration
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
I do run 80 front and 65 rear. I'll admit I run 55 or so when unloaded so should consider dropping that a bit. With my 40 gal of fuel, 5er hitch, plus a tool box in the rear I haul a little more, but nothing much compared with empty.

I'll look for the expert.

Thx
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RAM toe in spec is to much and leads to early tire wear. Maybe Cummins12V98 will be along to post what works or PM him.

On Edit: He recommends 1/32" toe in verse the factory 1/4". Claims tire wear ends. He also recommends front inflation for dually should always be 80 PSI. Rears loaded 65 and 35 when running empty.

Note: a LT235/80R17 at 35 PSI is rated to 1570 pounds, then times 4 equals 6280 capacity for the dually rear axle. Or almost twice the actual unloaded weight of the truck rear axle without a load.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. It's been greased. Is tough to find though.

Thx
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Camper G wrote:
There is a u joint that has a grease fitting Thad you have to use a needle valve on your grease gun to grease. On the driveshaft. It's a bit difficult to find but it's there. Has that ever been greased?

You are correct but the front diff has an axel disconect. These new trucks driveshafts do not spin. Not sure what years ohased in but my 15 dually has it. And no the front shaft doe not spin. Look at front axel on pass side and you will see the disconect.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler