cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VW/Audi

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
This is going to hurt the bottom line a bit! So wonder how the fix will affect their fuel mileage and used car prices?

LINK
The Environmental Protection Agency and California issued a notice of violation of the Clean Air Act to Volkswagen Friday over a device in certain models that allows vehicles to emit pollutants without detection during normal operation, according to a statement released by the EPA.
The so-called “defeat device,” found in 2009-2015 model Volkswagen and Audi diesel cars, uses sophisticated software that turns on full emissions controls only during official lab tests but then turns them down during normal driving. As a result, the cars release nitrogen oxides at up to 40 times the federal standard, according to agency.
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
242 REPLIES 242

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
W4RLR wrote:
creeper wrote:
Just some info for current VW owners affected by the VW issue.

VW has offered a "Good Will" gesture of a $500 gift card to use anywhere and a $500 gift card to be used at any VW dealer.

A tidbit from my Lawyer on this issue, DO NOT accept their "Goodwill" gift. In the fine print you give up all your legal rights to sue VW and you agree to arbitration on the issue and you must travel to South Dakota for the arbitration.

Some "Good Will" gift.
Your lawyer gave you bad information. The arbitration clause only applies to the GIFT CARD. VW has already filed documents in federal court that stipulate they will NOT tie the goodwill gift cards to mandate any arbitration for the emissions issue. While VW may have been wrong in this emissions issue, painting them with a tarred brush by saying they are using a goodwill program to mandate arbitration is false. You can accept the goodwill program without affecting your legal rights. Not my interpretation, but the interpretation of legal counsel who has filed suit against VW. I will leave it there and not elaborate as to the law firm involved, as I am sure that would be against the rules of this forum.

Why would you need arbitration in South Dakota for a gift card?

Do you have a link to the stipulation transcript in Federal court? I believe it's in paragraph 10 of the Gift card agreement. I've just looked through a number of my gift cards and not of them has 10 paragraphs or an agreement for arbitration in South Dakota.

Forbes article on it.

Many Lawyers disagreeing on how far reaching the arbitration clause is.

Latimes on the issue

blt2ski
Don,

I am not accusing any of you my comment was aimed at. ONLY that the thread drift had/has gone a bit off topic. Yeah you are the Op.....but.....lets keep this on topic of the VW issue......which at the end of the day, could hurt them a lot! Not really what anyone needs IMHO. Much less to see them go out of business after this many years and decades.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:
Written: "You may not use the Open Roads Forum to either advertise or promote commercial endeavors."

😉

I think Marty is very tolerant.

I hope you're not accusing me of that!

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
creeper wrote:
Just some info for current VW owners affected by the VW issue.

VW has offered a "Good Will" gesture of a $500 gift card to use anywhere and a $500 gift card to be used at any VW dealer.

A tidbit from my Lawyer on this issue, DO NOT accept their "Goodwill" gift. In the fine print you give up all your legal rights to sue VW and you agree to arbitration on the issue and you must travel to South Dakota for the arbitration.

Some "Good Will" gift.
Your lawyer gave you bad information. The arbitration clause only applies to the GIFT CARD. VW has already filed documents in federal court that stipulate they will NOT tie the goodwill gift cards to mandate any arbitration for the emissions issue. While VW may have been wrong in this emissions issue, painting them with a tarred brush by saying they are using a goodwill program to mandate arbitration is false. You can accept the goodwill program without affecting your legal rights. Not my interpretation, but the interpretation of legal counsel who has filed suit against VW. I will leave it there and not elaborate as to the law firm involved, as I am sure that would be against the rules of this forum.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
#40Fan wrote:
I fear that everyone that owns a VW/Audi will not be allowed to renew their plates until they have had the newest calibrations installed. This will keep the people that are saying they won't go back to the dealer from running around with the old software.
It wouldn't affect me at all. Tennessee gives disabled veterans plates that are permanent and never expire. :B
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Written: "You may not use the Open Roads Forum to either advertise or promote commercial endeavors."

😉

I think Marty is very tolerant.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Would the vehicle manufacture employees quit disCUSSing rebates....

Thank you
Marty
T.V. moderator

My bad didn't know I was violating some unwritten law. Not to mention I'm the OP...just saying Marty.

Don the OP 😉

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
I'm trying to figure out how this thread id still alive. It really has nothing to do with camping, has lawyers hired and even pulled in politics. Most breaking forum rules.
Just curious.

This is the towing forum. Many people tow VW's. Which I am one of them. So that's what it has to do with the towing portion of camping.

This is a major event for VW and affecting many, so its about sharing information for others in a similar situation.

I'm sure someone will post the "fix" when it comes out in a massive recall.

VW already claims to have a fix for the European cars, which consists of a hardware part and a software part. What the effects on performance will be remains to be seen.

No US fix yet as we have dirtier fuel and stricter emission standards.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm trying to figure out how this thread id still alive. It really has nothing to do with camping, has lawyers hired and even pulled in politics. Most breaking forum rules.
Just curious.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
gary you need to check the vw's before that comment. I had 3 cabrio's I used as toads and all 3 were dead on with my gps.

Not that it really matters at all, but my '14 Passat and my '12 Jetta are/were both 2-3 mph slow.

VW's are notorious for speedo error. My Jetta was off by 4mph and so was my wife's golf.

My 2013 passant has 2 speedos and they don't agree.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
gary you need to check the vw's before that comment. I had 3 cabrio's I used as toads and all 3 were dead on with my gps.

Not that it really matters at all, but my '14 Passat and my '12 Jetta are/were both 2-3 mph slow.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gary C wrote:
BenK wrote:

A comment of playing around with the speedometer...nope...don't think so. That is
themost accurate dash gauge in ALL vehicles sold in the USA...as it they were NOT
then contesting speed tickets would hold up...

Actually that's not true and a simple comparison with a GPS will show you that most speedometers read fast by 1-3 mph at 55 mph. I've done it with several vehicles using my GPS, a couple of friend's GPS's, and a couple of Iphones and none have ever shown the vehicle was traveling faster than the speedometer was indicating, they all routinely showed the real speed was slower than the speedometer indicated. There are several reasons for this as mentioned above. One is the manufacturer gets a break on warranty costs by having the speedometer accrue miles faster than reality. The other is so owners aren't getting busted for doing 58 in a 55 mph zone routinely then complaining that their speedometer isn't right. There's no speeding ticket to contest if the vehicle is actually doing 53 when it's indicating 55. You only get in trouble if the error is in the other direction which is one reason they always indicate a little faster than the actual speed. My 2014.5 Toyota Camry is 2 mph slower than indicated at 60 mph, that's pretty normal and it isn't by coincidence.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Would the vehicle manufacture employees quit disCUSSing rebates....

Thank you
Marty
T.V. moderator

Well said.... :B

Yeah but, but...... oh darn...
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
Wow, talk about thread drift.

Yeah, we went from an informational thread for VW TDI owners to some rebate nonsense.