Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want new TT trailer but don't want a "Throw Away"

SailorSteve
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a double post (I hit enter too soon on the previous version).

I need your advice and experience. I'm in the market for a new TT and I don't want a typical 'throw away' unit. The last two units I had (Trail Lite and Aerolite) both rotted out from minor leaks that we're absorbed by the luan and foam floors. Aaagghhh! I had rot almost as I hate wasting money.

So, we want a midrange to upper midrange unit. Weight is not a huge consideration. Want a want is something that will last, if I maintain it well. While layout is important, it's what's under the lipstick that counts. It's the construction design, material, and assembly quality.

Is there a high quality midrange unit that will last?? Or should I save up for something like an Evergreen Everlite (fully composite) Arctic Fox, Outdoor RV Creek Side?? By the way, I like these 'Western' deigned travel trailers. They seem robust.

Please give me some feedback on a TT that long lasting, high quality, with good engineering. What's the best long term VALUE.

Thanks very much in advance. Regards, Steve
36 REPLIES 36

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
There is no Silver bullet . They will all leak and rot if you let them . Diligent maintenance is the key. Luaun and foam construction is not the greatest,however a 2 year leak will deteriorate all types of construction.
Constant inspection of all seams including,lights,windows,doors etc.
All protrusions to the interior should be carefully inspected at least twice a year.
Longevity is not a factor of cost or even construction, but more a result of care and proactive maintenance.

X2, well put
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
oughtsix wrote:
More money only buys pretty interiors. In my experience more money doesn't mean more quality!

Money can buy different and more durable construction materials, not just pretty interiors. However, that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with everyone else... they are all pretty much junk! After a lot of looking all of them look just as prone as the others to develop an unseen leak and self destruct.

I think the only way to keep any RV in good shape for many years is to keep it in a garage! Sun and weather will break down all materials pretty quickly. Even if the trailer doesn't develop a leak all the plastic parts will yellow and become brittle after a couple of years in the weather. They are all pretty much disposable units if left to the weather for any length of time. More money only buys pretty interiors. In my experience more money doesn't mean more quality!
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
There is no Silver bullet . They will all leak and rot if you let them . Diligent maintenance is the key. Luaun and foam construction is not the greatest,however a 2 year leak will deteriorate all types of construction.
Constant inspection of all seams including,lights,windows,doors etc.
All protrusions to the interior should be carefully inspected at least twice a year.
Longevity is not a factor of cost or even construction, but more a result of care and proactive maintenance.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
The Andersen hitch was great. It really controlled any bouncing, especially on I-10 in Louisiana. It provided great sway control, not only when being passed by a semi, but while driving in heavy crosswinds, 35 MPH or more (in the rain). If a gust hit us, the trailer would move only a little and settle right back in behind us.

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
Don't know what size you are looking at. Check out the Camplite trailers from LivinLite. They are all aluminum and Azdel, Aluminum roof, nothing to rot. All aluminum frame and flooring. Our 21BHS has been great. Took a trip from Florida to Arizona and Utah in September and it was terrific. Cost a bit more, but we've had it over a year and are very happy with it:

Camplite Trailers (CLICK HERE)

Just did 6100 miles with our custom 21 rbs. It's built like a tank, crude by some standards but it never broke. quick question, how is the Andersen hitch working. this trip was just on the ball, no weight distribution or sway control. Had some days where the cross winds exceeded 40 mph and felt it big time.

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
SailorSteve wrote:
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a double post (I hit enter too soon on the previous version).

I need your advice and experience. I'm in the market for a new TT and I don't want a typical 'throw away' unit. The last two units I had (Trail Lite and Aerolite) both rotted out from minor leaks that we're absorbed by the luan and foam floors. Aaagghhh! I had rot almost as I hate wasting money.

So, we want a midrange to upper midrange unit. Weight is not a huge consideration. Want a want is something that will last, if I maintain it well. While layout is important, it's what's under the lipstick that counts. It's the construction design, material, and assembly quality.

Is there a high quality midrange unit that will last?? Or should I save up for something like an Evergreen Everlite (fully composite) Arctic Fox, Outdoor RV Creek Side?? By the way, I like these 'Western' deigned travel trailers. They seem robust.

Please give me some feedback on a TT that long lasting, high quality, with good engineering. What's the best long term VALUE.

Thanks very much in advance. Regards, Steve

The new Evergreen Ever-Lite has plywood on the roof now. I had a 2012 and it had a composite sheet on the roof. Nice trailer, Great company customer service. Do bad they stopped building the Ever-lite FW. They build the Bay Hill FW now but I don't think it's composite.

chr_
Explorer
Explorer
You get what you pay for in this one:

http://www.livinlite.com/camplite-overview.php
-CHR$
1996 Safari Sahara Edition 35' Diesel Pusher. Just getting the Solar stuff started.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mr. Camper wrote:
As an owner you have to do your due diligence in keeping up with the required maintenance.
This says it all from low end to high end.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the size, you might look at a molded fiberglass trailer. Oliver, BigFoot & Escape make very well built trailers that last for many years. Some of the smaller models are still going after 40 years.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
It won't matter what brand you get. All will have some issues whether major or minor. Go read all the brand forums and you'll see that they all have potential problems. I'm a member of the Northwood forum and can say that they're having their fair share of issues as well. So is their sister company Outdoor RV.
http://www.afnash.com/forum.php
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/forums/
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/index.php
http://www.openrangeowners.com/ORforum/index.php?sid=e4a01f191557d24240782937fd081f6d

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/who-has-an-evergreen-element-trailer-132181.html
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/index.php

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Don't know what size you are looking at. Check out the Camplite trailers from LivinLite. They are all aluminum and Azdel, Aluminum roof, nothing to rot. All aluminum frame and flooring. Our 21BHS has been great. Took a trip from Florida to Arizona and Utah in September and it was terrific. Cost a bit more, but we've had it over a year and are very happy with it:

Camplite Trailers (CLICK HERE)

SailorSteve
Explorer
Explorer
OK. Couple of things. The rot I had in the two prior TT's was not from the roof. Yes, I know enough to clean and maintain the roof. One leak was from the front bunk door (hybrid) and the other was from the entry door. These were VERY subtle leaks, not a flood, but it was enough that over a couple of years the floor rotted to the point where you couldn't stand on it. When you have a layer of luan on either side of 2" foam and the luan rots out, there's not much strength left. It's great when it comes from the factory. I don't mind minor repairs but I'm not about to replace part of a floor that never should have rotted in the first place.

Yes, I'd love to get the Element but it's a bit pricey, $45-60K, but it's very cool. A "plastic Airstream" with a nice looking interior.

So.....does anyone have any other ideas for a long-life travel trailer?

I wish more of these guys used something like Azdel in their walls and floors. We looked at the Lance, which is supposedly well built and uses Azdel but, for the money, I thought the interior was a little cheap looking.

I know all RV's are built to a specific design spec and price point. Everyone wants CHEAP and LITE. I get that. Does that mean it has to fall apart? I'm willing to spend a little more (within reason) and tow something that's a little heavier. Thoughts??

Thanks for the replies. Steve

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner you have to do your due diligence in keeping up with the required maintenance.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance