cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to sell Canadian licensed TT in USA

gwilhelm
Explorer
Explorer
We are snowbirds who spend six months in the US but we are residents of Canada. Two years ago we went to a dealership in Michigan and bought a Lance TT manufactured in the US, which we then imported to Canada and licensed in Canada. Now we wish to sell it. We prefer to sell it in the US because there is a better chance of selling it here in Alabama than selling it in Ontario where we live because Lances are not well known in Canada. My question is, has anyone out there done the same thing? Do we need to re-import it to the States even though it was manufactured and bought in the States?
9 REPLIES 9

Sarra91
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps, my friend have faced with situation like yours, he used services of customs brokerage. Maybe if it will help you, you can ask them, they'll recommend smth for U. Here is their site https://clearitusa.com/. She was satisfied of their work.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where is the title to the trailer ?
I believe a clean title , singed over by the seller to the new owner is needed to register a vehicle (TT) in the U.S. Each state DMV may charge sales tax depending upon the state which it's going to be registered. A separate signed DMV form by the seller might be needed for tax purposes .
A customs broker would know the answers better than most of us here including myself.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suggest you visit the DMV office in the state you want to sell in and find out about obtaining a US Title.

I’m not familiar with all states but I understand some charge a tax when you title and some don’t?

Also Lance may be get you a duplicate Certificate of Origin. All necessary compliance labels should still be in place on that young trailer. You want to have zero registration headaches for prospective buyers.

Bols2DawaLL
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone that knows trailers knows Lance , Canadians included ,they have a dealer in London . I plan on buying one but because there are no used ones here i'll probably buy from Michigan or wherever .

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
As a matter of not wanting a hassle I would not be a buyer if a trailer I looked at were not registered in my state, let alone country. Just easier to make sure I don't get left holding the bag. Plenty of trailers for sale locally.

If it were me I would register it where you intend to sell.

Chuck_and_Di
Explorer
Explorer
Under NAFTA there are no duties or anything between Canada and the US. If it's used, there are no taxes. Get a safety inspection ( as a CYA), pull the plate, and sell.

gwilhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you BobnDot. But this doesn't seem to apply to a trailer, manufactured in the US, for sale in the US, that we bought in the US, after which we licensed it in Ontario.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to talk to a customs broker. AFAIK , USA titles are needed to transfer the sale.
....and being there is no motor involved the vehicle must pass U.S. safety inspections only, in order to be registered in the U.S.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/425/kw/import%20a%20%20recreational%20vehicle

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What you need to do is...deliver clear title. I wouldn’t touch this TT...bought in US, imported to Canada, now back in US. Sounds like the book “Exodus.” My apologies to Paul Newman, Lee J. Cobb, Eva Marie Saint and of course Leon Uris.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad