Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Washing the exterior of our TT

matthewijenkins
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

We bought our TT last year and it's in need of a bath! Before I begin getting the dirt off, I wanted to see what people use to wash their RVs. I usually use dish soap when washing my truck but wanted to make sure that was not too abrasive for an RV.

Thx!
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and Iโ€”
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-Robert Frost
14 REPLIES 14

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Foam Cannon makes things so much easier. My wife will foam it up, and I start washing with a boat washing brush, then she comes behind me rinsing.
It goes super fast doing this.

I use a wash/ceramic wax soap. Mequiars, or Chemical Guys.

Just a tip, don't use a wash/wax with carnuba in it, it will clog up the cannon.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
I use the 303 RV Wash & Seal for my present aluminum sided trailer. Works very well

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I never use a detergent soap on my trailers/truck campers/cars/tractors/boats as it removes wax.
My nephew has a automotive detail business. His advice is never use a detergent on any surface that needs waxing from a long term lasting perspective. Reason being there are plenty of better products on the market for washing these types of surfaces.

I keep cars/trucks/boats/tractors/rv trailers for years. I use car wash products on My old '97 5th wheel trailer and it still looks new.

I have used simple green twice cleaning the trailers rubber roof which ran down the sides of the unit. The trailer was due to a wax job anyway so no issues.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Scottiemom wrote:
My manufacturer tells me to use no high pressure wands and only baby shampoo.

Dale

Hahaha ! Good one!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
My manufacturer tells me to use no high pressure wands and only baby shampoo.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Until my present coach I never washed my RVs.With this one having Full Body paint, we decided to start washing it as the paint is beautiful. As big as it is, I looked into how the pros do it.We got an electric pressue washer and a foam cannon. A long pole with a sheepskin pad....And the most important part, a water deionizer for the rinse. No need to dry it, as the deionized water evaporates without leaving any spots. We can do our 45' Momentum in less that an hour. Use a good wash and wax product for the ultimate ease and shine.
No matter how you was an RV, be careful not to shoot water where it should not go, like in the refrigerator access panel.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
I use regular off the shelf 'car wash' mix for my vehicles. I've recently been turned on to the whole foam cannon method of washing vehicles now, and it's like when the light bulb was invented!

Found some "ceramic infused" wash for vehicles and it works great on the trailer too.

I use a car wash brush and the whole chore is done in a fraction of the time compared to buckets of soap and such.

Good luck! Mitch

x2 on the foam cannon. I like chemical guys products. foam it up then soft brush it off. Good results. Detailers years ago used ivory liquid, dawn is strong but gets the bugs off.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
All good advice above.
I happened across a jug of Dometic Wash n Wax on clearance a couple years ago and I like it. Beads up nicely.
As far as a hand wax goes, I've used many, and keep coming back to Nu Finish.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
I use car wash, usually Turtle Wax Zipwax.

One thing to remember with "car wash" soap is that you shouldn't wash the rubber roof with it. Most car washes have petroleum distillate in them, which can affect the rubber roof material. This is just what I've always heard.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thermoguy wrote:
matthewijenkins wrote:
Hi All,

We bought our TT last year and it's in need of a bath! Before I begin getting the dirt off, I wanted to see what people use to wash their RVs. I usually use dish soap when washing my truck but wanted to make sure that was not too abrasive for an RV.

Thx!

Dawn dish soap is what you use when you want to strip your vehicle of wax. I would not suggest using that unless you are planning to redo the wax or need to strip it for some reason.

I use decent quality car wash soap - typically purchased at Costco.

Bingo...dish soap is intended to strip grease. Wax is a form of grease.

Use carwash soap with a soft long handled brush and you should be good to go.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hit it with dish soap. If it ainโ€™t been washed since last year it hasnโ€™t been waxed.
But really whatever suds up is fine. Campers are made of metal and rubber and gelcoat and paint and powder coat. Just like vehicles.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
matthewijenkins wrote:
Hi All,

Thx!

Dawn dish soap is what you use when you want to strip your vehicle of wax. I would not suggest using that unless you are planning to redo the wax or need to strip it for some reason.

I use decent quality car wash soap - typically purchased at Costco.

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Been using this on our last 4 campers and it works great and goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/Gel-Gloss-RV-Wash-Wax-WW-128/dp/B0027M3A1U/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1K0X8RJR143GZ&keyw...

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use regular off the shelf 'car wash' mix for my vehicles. I've recently been turned on to the whole foam cannon method of washing vehicles now, and it's like when the light bulb was invented!

Found some "ceramic infused" wash for vehicles and it works great on the trailer too.

I use a car wash brush and the whole chore is done in a fraction of the time compared to buckets of soap and such.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.