cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water accumulation in rolled-up awning

babamartha
Explorer
Explorer
I hope I can find an answer here - you-all seem to know everything about everything!

I have a 2009 Kodiak 160SVT. When the awning is rolled up, rainwater enters the sides and stays there until I open the awning. As a result, it's really gross in there. I have it open now so I can clean both sides of it, then let it dry. We're having a family reunion at a state park and I want my rig to look GOOD.

Two questions, then:

1) What can I use to clean the awning safely?
2) How can I prevent rainwater from seeping into the sides when it's rolled up? There's a LOT of water in there!

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!
BabaMartha
14 REPLIES 14

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Have the problem as well. Had it on both Jay Flight with Carefree of Colorado awnings. I don't believe it to be condensation as there's routes for water to get in from the sides.

I've used Camco Mildew Remover and it works as good as plain water. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I did get the awning clean but the tree droppings and mildew stains will not come out.

The worst thing I hate about the water in the awning is that it stays in for a long time. I can be camping in the 90s and open it up and it's dripping from the inside as well as the outside of the awning.

I also hate that bugs make nests in the open channel for the pull strap or awning lights. I usually have to pull the nested worms out with my leatherman.

Last awning on the 19BH fell apart as the threads all came apart. Hoping that doesn't happen here. I don't feel like buying a new tarp every few years!
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
The last foot of the awning fabric closest to the trailer use to be a thicker grey material designed to protect the awning and keep water pretty much out if rolled tightly. My awning was mounted too high be a few inch's allowing a trof of water to collect. Factory did not mount properly. I make sure it is rolled tightly and I seldom have your problem.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
My awning is 12 years old and still looks great, with exception of the edges starting to crack. I have found that 303 helps to keep the mildew at bay for a while.
Full timing it since July 2012

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted this so many times, and it still seem there is either a lack of belief or a lack of effort! But Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works absolutely wonderful on camper awnings!

Granted, it takes a little WORK. It means you have to make the spongie thing wet and actually wipe it on your awning, rinse it off and keep repeating over the next area, little by little until you cover the entire awning. But the end results are fantastic! If only someone out there would believe me!

Make the Mr. Clean wet, almost dripping. Simply wipe a small are and follow with a dry cloth. Go the the next small area, wipe and follow with a small cloth. Not only will it absolutely melt bugs, black dirt, mold, and mildew away, but it will also put a layer of the cleaning chemical on the awning that retards and actually prevents black mold and mildew from returning. It will be months before you see any black again.

I wash mine twice a year. Usually in the Spring and early Fall. I may do some touch up's when camping with the Magic Eraser, but it absolutely works .... if you don't mind doing a little "work" yourself. Wipe on ... wipe off. Just that simple!

You can probably drop your awning down the side of your camper so you can get the top side easy. If not, use a long expandalble painter's wand with a soft brush on the end. Put the eraser under the brush, and simple move it around, doing small areas. Take a dry cloth, wrap it around the brush, and dry off the area you just went over, and it will clean wonderful. But, it does take a little effort! But the end results are wonderful.

I just washed mine yesterday with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, under side and top!

Joe2222
Explorer
Explorer
We unroll the awning every few weeks when not in use. To remove mold & mildew we use "Mold Armor". Buy it at Home Depot. Spray it on with the garden hose, wait 10 minutes and rinse it off.

Joe & Lorraine
2015 Rockwood Ultra Light 2608WS,
14 Ford F150 Super Cab 3.5L EcoBoost

Sebastian FL

:Z:R

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Mold and Mildew remover too, buy a gallon from HD or some such, a cheap garden sprayer, and a brush on a pole like a truck wash brush. As mentioned, spray on the solution, both sides, hit it with the brush, roll it up for 10 minutes or so, open and rinse. Or you can brush oit after you unroll it, same difference. I do mine 3 or 4 times a year. The gallon lasts for the year at least.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's moldy, Tilex Mold and Mildew removes it better than any other product I have ever tried.

galexander
Explorer
Explorer
Water in the awning has always been a problem for me so I have made it a habit to unroll the awning at least every two weeks or so if I haven't been camping. After reading posting, I went out and unrolled the awning and had very little water even after the weekend down pour of 2". As far as cleaning the awning, I have found that any RV Awning Cleaner available at Camping World or Walmart works just as good as anything I have tried in the past. I also have invested in a cover but they seem to tear very easily and usually only last a few years or so or at least the ones I have bought in the past. My last one was torn pretty bad after one winter. Priced one today at Camping World and it was $312.00 plus $79.00 for a 3 year warranty. Not in my budget with retirement one year away and and counting.
2017 Chevy Colorado ZR1 3.6L 4X4 Crew Cab
2021 Coachmen Apex Nano 191 RBS Off Grid
Tekonsha Brake Controller

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
In the past our HTT was always covered in the winter even though it's undercover 24/7 and we never had any moisture get into the awning. This past winter was the first year for our TT and we didn't get the ADCO cover, trying to give the budget a break, and also knowing it was undercover and should be fine. The TT was fine....the awning was a MESS. Being undercover, there was no way rain could have gotten in, so it had to be condensation. Although others have used bleach or bleach cleaners, we just do not like the idea. The regular car wash soap didn't touch it. Black streak remover, no go. We tried some Dawn in the wash water and still no good. Simple green no improvement. We finally resorted to our "go-to" cleaner, the LA's Awesome Cleaner (the yellow color one) from the Dollar Tree. Did not dilute it, but used full strength with a soft, long handled brush. It took several wash/rinse times, but it got it all off and you'd never know it was there. Summer hasn't been a problem, but the winter dampness got us.

IIRC, someone either here or on Hybrid Explorer made a cover for the roller out of PVC pipe - got a size larger than the roller, made a slot to allow it to go over and it helped. Would think that if your problem is condensation in addition to rain, you might be able to fashion some sort of waterproof fabric to enclose the ends and maybe stop this. This would be a relatively simple and inexpensive thing to try. Other than that, you might check with a canvas shop/boat canvas/upholstery shop and see if they could make a cover for the roller. The glitch might be in securing it, but maybe worth checking into. Good luck. We're going to invest in the cover for the TT this year.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
No solution I know of.

I always open the awning as soon as possible if the trailer has been exposed to any rain.

Waited a couple weeks once. Never again.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My awning is a sponge for moisture as well. It has not rained but a fraction of an inch in weeks here, but I'll make a point to open it after work tonight and I bet it'll be dripping as it unrolls.

I agree, it's more likely condensation.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Rain may get in but I'm convinced it's a form of condensation. Air within the rolled up awning gets heated by the sun and expands. When the air cools the air contracts inside the awning and brings with it moist air eg. in the evening. The next day the air expands again BUT not all of the moisture taken in the evening before goes with it. This cycle is repeated every day depending on what the awning is exposed to. A cover over the roof and awning helps minimize the problem because it keeps the suns rays off the rolled up awning.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
some on this forum have taken a pressurized tank commonly used for spraying weed killer, and fill it with bleach and soap. unroll the awning and spray the bottom them lower the awning spray the top then roll it up for 30 minutes and then unroll and spray with garden hose to remove dirt and grime. a brush will help remove any stubborn dirt.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 kodiak 181e and I notice the same issue. Generally I am in the habit of opening the awning after any big rain just to dry it out before mold get a chance to set in. I also wash it with the car wash brush every time I wash the trailer (about every 2-3 weeks when not in use).
I have run across many threads on various solutions for cleaning it. I am sure someone will chime it, but I think is best to prevent mold than to clean it. I would start by keeping it as dry and as clean as possible so you do not need to use heavy cleaners.
I would be interested in ideas on how to keep the rain water out too.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com