cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water damage on bottom trim inside door

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all, got in our rig for the first time in a month or so and noticed that the trim on either side of the entry door has water damage about 2-6 inches from the floor. The floor feels fine, as do either wall on both sides and the seals looks spectacular on the door. I'm a little confused how the water got in other than rain coming up from underneath the trailer which is unlikely. Can someone give me some pointers on what to look for as our source? It hasn't been particularly wet out here and seeing as there is no other damage (above like a roof leak or leak from the top of the door) I don't know where to begin troubleshooting. Here are a couple pics, I'll take some of the door and outside tomorrow. Thanks in advance-Rex

11 REPLIES 11

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, got to ride out a rain storm in the rig this weekend and yes the water is leaking from the window on the door. Took it off but I couldn't figure out what part I could replace. Here are some attached pics but I can't figure out where to put the butyl tape. Can someone help me out? How am I supposed to get the old rotting seal out and a new one in?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wvcampers wrote:
Check the bottom corners of the door frame. When the door is open you can see where the door frame sides meet the threshold. It is put together there and if not sealed water will run in at the corners. Just caulk the corners.

That mostly cured the problem on my truck camper.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
Check the bottom corners of the door frame. When the door is open you can see where the door frame sides meet the threshold. It is put together there and if not sealed water will run in at the corners. Just caulk the corners.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, got to thinking more about this. As I stated I could see dirt underneath the inside of the window so at a minimum that will need to be addressed. Anyone have a how to on doing this or can explain it? Also, can someone explain how the doors are constructed? Are they a solid piece? Do they have insulation? If the lock/door handle is leaking does it need to be sealed around the outside? Thanks in advance.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Is that a water stain coming down from the fire extinguisher mount?

No, that is a seam of the wall paper. I looked at the bottom of the window on the inside and saw war looked like a dirty water stain so I'm thinking the window seal is bad. I'll try and post pics later.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Is that a water stain coming down from the fire extinguisher mount?

budwich
Explorer
Explorer
get a hose and hit the door and see what happens. As others have suggested, the seal around the door is likely an issue. It is probably not good at the top and "very good" at the bottom... thus it is acting like a "bowl" letting water in at the top and holding it in so to speak at the bottom where it is running out into the trailer.... 😞

The damage that your picture shows doesn't appear to be a "one time" event. It appears to have happening for a while and you just now noticed it.

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did this. The problem is either the seal around the door has failed or water is getting into the latch and running down the inside of the frame.

That trim, at least on mine, appears to literally be vinyl covered cardboard. It will soak up the smallest amount of moisture.

I ended up resealing my door all the way around and replaced the trim with something similar I found at Lowes.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Two common places for door leaks, are the window being poorly sealed, letting the water run down inside the door, coming out the lower corners. The other is the lower metal edge on the outside of door, where the metal goes against the door material.

I have used butyl tape to reseal the window, and clear proflex to seal along lower metal door strip.

Jerry

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
While driving in the rain, my truck camper will get water inside the door and soak the floor. The door seal isn't 100 percent weather tight, and somewhere water will get past the weather stripping, run down the door frame and in to the camper at each corner of the door, just like appears to have happened in your pics.

Makes sense and my first thought was we had a really hard rain and it came in, but in regards to your scenario we haven't moved the rig in 3 months so it couldn't have been from travel.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
While driving in the rain, my truck camper will get water inside the door and soak the floor. The door seal isn't 100 percent weather tight, and somewhere water will get past the weather stripping, run down the door frame and in to the camper at each corner of the door, just like appears to have happened in your pics.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator