cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Hookup Order

midapo
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! We are back in the RV Community after 15 years or so. Please consider us newbies. We just bought a 2018 K-Z Connect 251RK and are looking forward to our first trip!

Question: All the videos and articles I have seen say to hook my pressure regulator and water filter up at the supply. The pressure regulator is fine but it seems to me that it would be better to hook up the water filter at the camper. The water will at times sit in the hose for hours when it is not being used. Wouldn't you want to filter that water? Am I missing something? Thanks!
1996 26' Prowler Fiver
1994 Mint F-350 Diesel
2 Kids 2 Dogs (interchangeable)
18 REPLIES 18

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up at the supply, just a regulator and blue filter. Got a Zero G hose when they first came out, love it.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Spigot, wye, filter, regulator, 10โ€™ hose camper.

I use the second side of the wye to rinse off my dusty and maybe sweaty mountain bike helmet, gloves and knee pads when I get back from a ride.

I like the regulator downstream of the filter, as I feel that I get better flow through the filter when it is on the high pressure side. I also carry a long hose, but have only needed it once in the last eight years...

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Cocky_Camper wrote:
I use the regulator at the camper side. If you are in the direct summer sun, those hoses expand and build up pressure which is causing increased pressure inside also...

If that would cause a pressure problem what kind of problem is your water heater causing?
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
midapo wrote:
Hello all! We are back in the RV Community after 15 years or so. Please consider us newbies. We just bought a 2018 K-Z Connect 251RK and are looking forward to our first trip!

Question: All the videos and articles I have seen say to hook my pressure regulator and water filter up at the supply. The pressure regulator is fine but it seems to me that it would be better to hook up the water filter at the camper. The water will at times sit in the hose for hours when it is not being used. Wouldn't you want to filter that water? Am I missing something? Thanks!

I want the weight of the water filter on the water faucet not on the plastic connector on the side of the RV.

I use a Camco Evo something large free standing with bracket water filter and a 10โ€™ hose at the trailer side, NOT hanging a filter off the TT. Only extra on the TT is a metal 90 degree adapter then hose.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the regulator at the camper side. If you are in the direct summer sun, those hoses expand and build up pressure which is causing increased pressure inside also...
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm overly cautious and always run off onboard water. Too many horror stories of leaks destroying RV.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
hydrant - hose - filter - regulator - 6' hose - RV

This keeps the filter and regulator beside the RV. As someone who has had to rebuild industrial regulators due to a tiny speck of grit, my regulator goes after the filter. I use a whole house filter rated to handle high pressure.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I put a hook under the trailer and hang the filter there out of the hot sun and out of the way. The regulator and a Y are at the hydrant.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Zero G is a great choice....use them around the house as well.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
midapo wrote:

I want the weight of the water filter on the water faucet not on the plastic connector on the side of the RV.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I got the zero g last year and like it a lot. Put my old hose is in the camper in case i need extra length. The zero g is pretty nice, lightweight and so far is better for me, take up less space. I liked it so much a bought an expandable ( i know there diffrent) for the black tank clean out and to use around the campsite.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

midapo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I did buy the Zero G water hose, so I am sure it will be fine. I was thinking about drinking from a water hose when I was a kid and the plastic taste it had. Maybe that's why I have seemed to have lost a few brain cells!
1996 26' Prowler Fiver
1994 Mint F-350 Diesel
2 Kids 2 Dogs (interchangeable)

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I also hang everything at the supply.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I rather not have the extra weight hanging off the TT. I put both on the campsite spigot. Along with a wye.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.