cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Pump

cliffy49
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thinking about purchasing a 12 volt water pump to get water from a bladder in the truck to the rv. Also will probably use tp wash trailer since I have no where to do it at home.

I am considering 2 different styles of pump and would like your opinion on which would be better. The first one is this style;    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPD7N38/?coliid=I1UNYCS7UZDKK&colid=159YHN8CR2AH5&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_... 

The other option would be any of a number of replacement water pumps that we have in our rigs, such as this one;https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZR6269K/?coliid=I1HYX84LQ8BNJ9&colid=159YHN8CR2AH5&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl... 

If you were to be in the market to purchase one, which style would you get and why. 

Thanks for all of your iinput it is much appreciated.

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

I'd go with the RV style. That way if your RV pump goes out, you have a spare on hand.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad

If you are using a bladder in the back of the truck and the bladder has a spigot in the bottom of it, I doubt a pump is even necessary. It’ll likely flow out faster by gravity than pumping it.

I've never had an RV where the fresh water tank fill sits below the level of the pickup bed (maybe you have a jacked up mudbog truck?).  Also, it won't work for washing the trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

So you’re an intelligent man (albeit snarky)
So I have a 3’ x 3’ x 3’ bladder full of water, sitting in my 3 foot high truck bed, connected with a short hose to my 4-foot high fill port. Now, are you saying the water won’t flow into my Rv water tank via gravity/siphon? And therefore should buy a $70 pump?

Liquid  seeks it's own level. So your 3 x 3 x 3 bladder in a 3 foot bed puts the top of the water level at 6 feet. So yes water will flow out of the bladder and into the 4 toot high fill port. At least until two vertical feet of water drains out of the bladder making the surface 4 feet off the ground.

From that point you would need either a siphon effect to remove the last foot of water out of the bladder. Or you would need to find a way to put pressure on the bladder to force the last water out.

But the flow rate would be slow and not under pressure. Which doesn't address the original specification of using the water to wash the trailer.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Not sure I understand why it would not work for washing the trailer. I have seen some of the pumps that put out 70 psi. That is as much as you have in your house usually.

Also,I am not certain that the truck bed sits higher than the gravity fill on the trailer. Not saying that it does not but I am not sure.

cliffy49
2016 F150 Ecoboost & max tow (Gone)
2021 Silverado Custom 2500HD
2018 Catalina TH26 Toy hauler

With a pump certainly  but it was suggested that a pump wasn't needed. Gravity draining the bladder out of a 3ft high truck bed isn't going to spray 10ft up the side of a trailer.  

Similarly most fresh water inlets are around  4 feet off the ground,  so gravity fed isn't going to work unless the bed is jacked up pretty high. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

I'd go with the RV style. That way if your RV pump goes out, you have a spare on hand.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'