cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Distribution bar - using a pipe ... ?

RoadXYZ
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have lost the pipe to lift up the weight distribution bar ... what do you use ?
Full-Time RV'rs - Grandma Marji, and Grandpa
2008 Suburban / 2004 Alpenlite TT(FT)
107 REPLIES 107

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
OP,

This might be what you are looking for:
Snap-Up Handle for Reese Weight Distribution Lift Brackets
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, I don't get the big picture here. I have a light tongue weight and a manual crank jack. I can flip the fittings easily with the pipe in about 1 second. x 2 that is 2 seconds. instead of this I should crank for 5 minutes? does not compute.

bumpy

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
You can probably get a piece of black gas pipe at the local home improvement store.

Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

We rarely use the pipe. Use the jack to lift up the latched ball and truck. Power jack rules!

McDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I also just use the tongue jack, but keep the pipe in case I am attacked while hooking up. You never know when its coming these days.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
You can probably get a piece of black gas pipe at the local home improvement store.

Also after latching the trailer onto the ball try using the tongue jack to lift both the tongue and the back of the trailer up really high. At that point you will possibly be able to just flip the levers over by hand and not need a pipe.

un huh.... lift the back of the trailer....really? Ok, ok. I know you really meant back of truck...just messin' with ya.

OP...if you don't have an electric tongue jack....get one. This one item was absolutely the best addition I ever made to my trailer...well...maybe not including the Hensley.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of opinions, short answer, get a replacement pipe, you can order one, buy one locally or find an alternative pipe that works fine.

It has to be big enough to slip over the stub sticking out, strong enough that it won't bend, long enough to give you some leverage, and finally short enough that it will go on the stub and not hit the ground...

I use my tongue jack to ease the effort but don't jack high enough to be able to use my fingers.. I have also seen a custom pipe that was longer and had a slight bend about 6" from one end. I asked about it and the owner said he needed longer pipe to ease the effort but it hit the ground so he modified it so it does not hit the ground, but still gives him all the leverage he needed...

Happy hunting.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Haha I took the pipe an inch from my junk one time. It surprised me and let me tell you how lucky I was that day. 20+ years using a pipe wdh
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Once, my pipe rolled out of sight and I thought it was lost. I couldn't find a suitable replacement, so I used a small pipe wrench until the pipe rolled out in the open again.
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
With our 3/4 ton, near 1,000 lb tongue weight and Reese DC WDH, there is no flippin' way I can get the chains onto snap up brackets without using the bar. If the TT & TV aren't on the same plane (twisted relative to each other) or if there is a bit of a dip in the ground surface, it can take quite a pull to get the chain(s) on.

Don't know what brand WDH OP has, but you can get replacement handles from etrailer.com: I installed a soft rubber bicycle handlebar grip on the end of our handle.

I have always worried about losing our handle and have thought about getting a spare. I ALWAYS make a mental note to store it away when finished, just like making a note never to rub against the hitch ball...

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I cant latch our either just by using the tongue jack.
I can't tell you how many trailers I've seen with bars that have virtually no tension on them. Seems like a lot of people don't understand how they work and never get them set up so they actually do anything.

Bingo. When we had our TT and because of the 900-950lb TW I had to raise the rear of the truck 4-5" because the WDH had 6 washers in it. Then to grab the correct link in the chain and snap it I had to use the bar. When we got the EQ hitch I still had to use the bar to get the bars up on the L bracket. If there isn't tension on the bars then they're not doing there job.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I cant latch our either just by using the tongue jack.
I can't tell you how many trailers I've seen with bars that have virtually no tension on them. Seems like a lot of people don't understand how they work and never get them set up so they actually do anything.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, but I don't buy that raising the jack is the "only correct" way to do it.
If that were true, then why would the manufactures bother making a pivoting bracket with a nub for the pipe? If they intended everyone to use raise the jack and flip the lever by hand, then they would have simply installed a hook on the frame for you to slip the chain link onto.

There's nothing wrong with using the pipe.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

Crazy_2
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Why do you need a pipe to install the weight distribution bars? I just put the tongue on the ball and clip it. Use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and back of truck, slip bars in place by hand and lower the tongue jack. No lifting involved.

X2, I rarely use the bar to raise the torsion bars.
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
Grand Design Reflection 297RSDS 8200 Ish LBS dry,
Reece Dual Cam WDH

"If your dog is overweight, odds are you need more exercise"

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
robsouth wrote:
Why do you need a pipe to install the weight distribution bars? I just put the tongue on the ball and clip it. Use the tongue jack to lift the tongue and back of truck, slip bars in place by hand and lower the tongue jack. No lifting involved.

Exactly!! Wife and I use our fingers.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I raise the tongue after latching the ball too, but still use a pipe on at least one side every time. With the Reese dual cam unless the truck/TT are straight, one side will have some pressure even after raising the tongue.

Any 3/4" ID black pipe will do. Home Depot and Lowes sell it in 18"-24" lengths.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)