cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight of travel trailer

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
What is the ideal weight of a travel trailer you can pull with a F-150 4x4 Ford with towing package??
28 REPLIES 28

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go over 7,000 lbs loaded regardless of power train. The truck it's self is light in weight due to the aluminum body. You want as much weight towing the TT as you can get for stability.

Just because you can go 60 mph vs 50 mph up a hill won't mean diddle in side winds or passing or being passed by semi's.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
egh33 wrote:
What is the ideal weight of a travel trailer you can pull with a F-150 4x4 Ford with towing package??

Ideally, if you could find another unicorn like I have, you'd be good. 3.5L EB, 3.73 rear, 6sp xmission, 2,286# cargo capacity, 4800# rear axle.

Mine came with Max Tow and HD Package.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
egh33 wrote:

Honestly we can't tell you with out knowing which F150 you have. Ford make about 20 variations of the F150. some with 6clys, some with turbos, some with out, V8s. some with low rear gears, and some with high rear gears, and the truth is you can get the towing package in all of them.

Best thing to do is find out which one you have. which engine, which rear gear, what trim package, and so on. and of course what GVWR you have. That will determine how much tongue weight you can carry. and so determine how heave the TT can be.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
1/2 Ton trucks like the F150 will often run out of payload long before tow capacity.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like towing more than 6,000 pounds with my 1500 or the Tahoe before it. Well within specifications.

What are your truck's limits from the Ford door sticker?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I wouldn’t go any higher than 7k lbs loaded.

A lot of 1/2 tons shouldn't be towing 4-5k.
Others may be able to handle upwards of 10k.

Depends on the specs of the truck. They vary wildly for 1/2 ton trucks.

Lol, unless you're including old wore out, less than OE capability, or an old 6 cyl 3 on the tree with 3.07 gears, there isn't a 1/2 ton built for idk how many years that isn't rated at least 5klbs and 99% of them are rated higher than that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with what Nickthehunter just said. A tow rating is a decent place to start but....few half tons can actually tow the maximum weight stated without having troubles in other areas. I tow a 6500 lb trailer with my Tundra that (they say) can tow 10K lbs. With a TW of close to 1000 lbs I am close to my payload number before I even start the engine. So, look at axle ratings and payload capacities when you start to narrow your choices.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are two stickers on the door of the truck. They give you information like GVWR, RAWR, max cargo (payload), that the info anyone would to tell you what you can reasonably tow. Without that info, any answers to your question have no basis in facts.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:

A lot of 1/2 tons shouldn't be towing 4-5k.
Others may be able to handle upwards of 10k.

Depends on the specs of the truck. They vary wildly for 1/2 ton trucks.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

APT
Explorer
Explorer
6k dry, assuming you have the HD towing package and either 3.5L Ecoboost or 5.0L V8 engines. Lots of power, but suspension and stability on the highway are the more practical limitations.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Much less than they say IMO. The year of the truck makes a huge difference. Do you have a 2001 or a 2021? Look up the towing guide and see what your weights are for your actual truck. Then go way under the max figures if you want to enjoy traveling.

When I towed with the older F150 size trucks I preferred trailers around 6K and 25' max and the biggest engine option. I used the equalizer brand hitch set up. Trucks are rated for more GCWR now days. I learned right away I wanted a long wheel base truck with more weight though, never really liked pulling close to max with any size truck.

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
Get your VIN # and call Ford give then the # and they’ll tell what your truck is rated to tow. My 2020 F150 with max tow package is rated to tow 13200 lbs

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the F150 gvwr rawr....engine size/tranny a drive ratio.

Ford gives the F150 gvwrs ranging from tiny 6200 lbs up to 8200 lbs and rawr from very small 3200 lbs up to 4800 lbs. And of course engine sizes from small v6 up to the 5.0....3.5 EB engines.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides