cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird hot water (lack of) issue, please help!

CYCBrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am new and looking for some help. I have only had my trailer for about 9 months and I winterized it myself. I dewinterized it and now I am having a problem. The hot water tank is working, when I pull the pressure relief valve hot water comes spewing out. Then I go to turn on the hot water in my trailer and it gets warm for a second and then cold again....I am stumped. I know there is probably a valve somewhere I forgot to turn but I can't find it? Suggestions?
7 REPLIES 7

CYCBrock
Explorer
Explorer
That was it guys! I just had the wrong combination of valves turned the wrong way, I appreciate it! I was having a "haven't eaten all day and can't think" moment. Cheers!

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
If the bypass is correct, another place to check is the outside shower. If the valves are on, but the shower head is turned off, it can allow for mixing, end result is cold water.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some water heaters have three valves (cold in--open, hot out--open & bypass---closed)

Some have 2 valves.....cold --open bypass closed (check valve in hot out)
Some have 2 '3-way' valves....cold/bypass & a hot/bypass (turn both handles so they are parallel with cold/hot lines)

Some have 1 '3-way'....cold/bypass w/check valve in hot out (turn handle so it is parallel with cold in
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the 3 valves on the back of your heater , then they all are vertical or all are horizontal. Your problem is the middle one that connecteds the red and blue pipes is open..close it.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

taddyport
Explorer
Explorer
I had the exact same thing last year and that's exactly what it was, check the bypass valve, it worked for me.
God Bless Your Travels
Jon and Zaria; Zaria = springer spaniel
2010 Ford F350, Triton V10 with 4.3 axle
2011 Jayco 256 RKS
Equil izer hitch

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Does your trailer have valves to bypass the water heater when winterizing. Sounds like all 3 valves are open when the bypass valve should be closed.

I concur.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Does your trailer have valves to bypass the water heater when winterizing. Sounds like all 3 valves are open when the bypass valve should be closed.